Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

They call me "chef"

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

I think Scott Rolen is cool.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds have a history of overpaying for players and giving players bad contracts. I just hope we don't hear about an extension for Rolen.

As a Reds fan, I see certain players around the league and every now and again I'll see one that would just look good in a Cincinnati Reds uniform. Not because they're good or anything, but they would just look good in a Reds uniform. Scott Rolen is one of those players. Scott Rolen is one of my favorite all time players and I am ecstatic that I will be able to watch him day in and day out for at least the next year and a half for the Reds. Having said that Walt did overpay a lot when he added Stewart in the deal.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Over the last 5 years the only prospects we have had on the same level of Stewart is Bruce, Votto, Bailey, Cueto and Alonso so I don't know if we have really had much to go on in terms of similar types of prospects.
    Baseball America - Wagner was #46 in 2004 and EdE was ranked 56 in 2005.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Hey, I was in a rush to post because the game was getting ready to start and I didn't want to be "that guy" at the ballpark with his head glued to his blackberry!
    I just wanted to make sure you weren't batting what would happen if Juan Castro, Corey Patterson and Willy Taveras all had a kid together...

"3 Men and a Little AVG...."

I can fully understand those who express their sentiments concerning Scott Rolen as a player and what he has accomplished over his career. I really do. I like the guy. And I'm not really that overly concerned about the prospects we gave up to get him either (Roenicke and Stewart).

IMO, it's just a stupid, dysfunctional move from this GM, who is deluded into thinking that Rolen is going to somehow boost our chances this year, some how/some way, by inserting this veteran player, on the down-side of his career, into a hodgepodge mix of of utility and AAA ballplayers currently trying to hold down the fort because of injury. It's simply ludicrous IMO.

3B was a far less pressing problem when looking at the other areas of dire need facing this team.

I can see a team adding a Rolen if they were in the hunt, and looking to get that extra boost to get them over the top.

I listened to Jocketty last night say that Rolen also helps us next year. True. That's if he stays healthy and replicates 09. But is this ownership then going to go out and seriously spend the money to acquire those OFers and SS we direly need? Or has he just eaten up any payroll leeway we had, and that they are going to fill those other areas of need with marginal players of the same "like" quality we are seeing now?

Or is Jocketty, who has been known to do so, going to sacrifice even some more of our high-level prospects, and utilize them as that tool to try and fill those needs by bringing in more "veteran" players like a Rolen, just to take that shot in 2010, while selling out any future stability?

Who is going to be our LFer and CFer next year? I wish someone would ask Walt that question when he's giving these interviews. Or how about SS? Do they plan on taking up the option on AGon for 2010? Of course I know he's not going to answer them, and do an "end around" like a politician would; but I'd like this guy to be put on the spot instead of kissed up to when doing interviews.

He also said last night that they were done making trades. That's understandable since most of the players he'd like to trade would probably easily make it through waivers. Especially if it's guys like Arroyo and Harang. And I think that is his main objective now - clearing out payroll. And that is fine with me IF this FO then plans on utilizing that to seriously address needs.

I'm not one who has called for Jocketty's head. But he's been our GM now for almost two full seasons. And he is on the cusp right now, going into 2010, where he needs to step up to the plate and show something.....or go into retirement.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    People seem to easily forget that Stewart's transition to starter is far from complete. Most of the posters here that are maddest about losing him are forgetting that.

He was and is still a valuable prospect. I'm sad to lose him. But I do not think he would have made the Reds' 2010 rotation.
    Probably not 2011, if the rotation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Yep, those two moves, alone, are reason to worry about the future of this organization under his watch.

I'll just have to bring up Mem's word here, because it's is so appropriate after these two moves.

Malpractice. Not an overreaction or hyperbole either.
    Ltlabner's favorite word!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Another way to look at the Rolen trade is that the Reds traded EE and Roenicke for Rolen, then sold Stewart for $4M.

Rolen costs the Reds around $9M more this year and next than EE. He's probably worth about $6-11M more, depending on how much he plays.

$4M is a lot to pay for a top 50 prospect. Odds are about 1 in 3 that he'll be an everyday player. If that happens, he's worth close to $10-12M, so $4M is about right, maybe a bit high.

Another way to see how the trade could be considered even, depending on how much Rolen plays.
    So you feel better knowing the team sold its top pitching prospect for $4 Million? That's the kind of pocket change that this GM spends on the Hairstons and Lincolns of the world. Its also exactly the amount that our beloved speedy CF will make in 2010. I'd say keep Stewart, take the dollar hit for now and make it up by dealing off some of this pricey chaff.

Using your logic, the Reds had to include Stewart to add $4 Million to the coffers. Maybe they need it because the worst player in baseball is signed for next year for precisely that amount. As I implied at the time, the signing of Willy is the root of all evil and you've just established a case where it cost this team its top pitching prospect to compensate.

This doesn't help Walt's scorecard IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So you feel better knowing the team sold its top pitching prospect for $4 Million? That's the kind of pocket change that this GM spends on the Hairstons and Lincolns of the world. Its also exactly the amount that our beloved speedy CF will make in 2010. I'd say keep Stewart, take the dollar hit for now and make it up by dealing off some of this pricey chaff.

Using your logic, the Reds had to include Stewart to add $4 Million to the coffers. Maybe they need it because the worst player in baseball is signed for next year for precisely that amount. As I implied at the time, the signing of Willy is the root of all evil and you've just established a case where it cost this team its top pitching prospect to compensate.

This doesn't help Walt's scorecard IMO.
    Agree. Let's also not forget what they had invested in Stewart, which was time and his signing bonus (500K+).

Maybe they can get $5M for Alonso in 2010 to help pay for part of the $36-million dollar 3-headed monster of Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero.

Pretty much a bad deal all the way around, but I understand some need time to fully evaluate it. I don't.

But for those people, someone need to remember to bump this thread a year from now (8-1-10) and see how everyone feels then.

What's the most pressing problem for the Reds may depend on your point of view. If I were pitching for the Reds, prior to yesterday I'd have seen my most pressing problem as having EE at 3b.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What's the most pressing problem for the Reds may depend on your point of view. If I were pitching for the Reds, prior to yesterday I'd have seen my most pressing problem as having EE at 3b.
    By this time next year it will be having Drew Sutton over there while Rolen is on the DL.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ltlabner's favorite word!
    Now why did he have to go and use that word? Battle-stations everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

The 2010 free agent class is lousy with LFers and good pitchers.

That's the admittedly optimistic viewpoint.
    Matt Holliday would still look good in a Cincinnati uniform and not that George Grande STL clown suit he's wearing now.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    By this time next year it will be having Drew Sutton over there while Rolen is on the DL.
    That's not an unlikely scenario. Or Adam Rosales.

What a thrill that will be.

Turn Off Ads?