Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Reds deal Jerry Hairston Jr to Yankees

Re: Reds deal Jerry Hairston Jr to Yankees

I can't say I understand this deal at all. I know Hairston isn't that great but he is a really solid all around bench guy and if you are still trading for vets to help stay in it (Rolen) why trade off probably one of your better bench players? Just doesn't make any sense.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting stat on
    Weems has gone 12-for-33 (.364) with a homer and five RBI in his last 10 games at Low-A Charleston.

He's a young kid. Low A, but shows you how bad the catching position is with the Reds

I'm staying in New Jersey with my Yankees fan friend. I couldn't be happier than Hairston is now his headache.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I can't say I understand this deal at all. I know Hairston isn't that great but he is a really solid all around bench guy and if you are still trading for vets to help stay in it (Rolen) why trade off probably one of your better bench players? Just doesn't make any sense.
    Well, we can't call Hairston a salary dump since he only makes $2m this season so I'd definitely prefer a prospect that was at least a little better. Rolen is signed through 2010 and since he's (sorta) local he maybe receptive to a reasonable extension if 2010 goes well. Hairston is a FA after this season and I think most agree he wouldn't be back next season.

Bottom line, winning season this year, try get into the playoffs in 2010. That's not only all I was hoping for I think that's what the Reds maybe thinking too. Hairston wouldn't be around to help in 2010. He might've been able to help the rest of this season to break the string of losing seasons but maybe they wanted to get a better look at players like Sutton & Janish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ric In Chicago will be pleased to hear this news.
    OMG, other than winning the world series, this is the best thing that could happen for me. JHJ is my ALL TIME LEAST FAVORITE player.

Last year, I took my mother to a game at Wrigley Field. We were in the front row right by the Reds on deck circle. JHJ was standing two feet in front of us and my ma was telling me to take his picture. I said, "ma, I don't like him, I'm not going to take his picture". The look on his face was priceless, considering I was in all my Reds gear and taking pics of every other Reds player to come on deck

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I wonder Hairston argued with anybody before he left?

Consider this, the Hairston trade is multi-useful, in that it prevents Corey Patterson from returning to the major leagues
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'm not saying I don't think Hairston was a useful player, but he's not good enough to start on a good major league team and he was a free agent at the end of the year anyway.

Removing him from the equation also helps ensure people like Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey and Drew Sutton and Adam Rosales get some major league exposure throughout the remaining two months of the season. Dusty was prone to running JHJ out there wayyyy too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    I'm not saying I don't think Hairston was a useful player, but he's not good enough to start on a good major league team and he was a free agent at the end of the year anyway.

Removing him from the equation also helps ensure people like Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey and Drew Sutton and Adam Rosales get some major league exposure throughout the remaining two months of the season. Dusty was prone to running JHJ out there wayyyy too often.
    well said Doctor.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Jerry Hairston got traded. Wha?

Maybe I've said this before--you think?--but the danger in JHJ or Ryan Freel or many other so-called "versatile" players is that managers get fooled into thinking they are starters. They're not.

Speaking of Freel...the bloom is off the rose. He's 16-84 this year with 2 doubles and 5 RBI's. His average is .198 despite starting for KC and his OBP is .284, and yet managers think these guys are starters because of speed and hustle. Wrong.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?