Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Burton is Arb eligible, so considering his performance this year, and his injury, he might not get offered a contract. If he's smart, he would agree to sign for a reasonable amount before it got to that point, but if he insists on a big raise, the Reds might just non-tender him.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good info. That's 10 names. Spots freed up - probably 7 (Weathers, Gonzalez, Hernandez, Lehr, Wells, Richar, Nix, Thompson less one for Castillo coming off the DL). The 7 I'd protect are Heisey, Stubbs, Wood, Valaika, Ondrusek, Smith and Viola. Valiquette, Dorn and Watson would be left off for the draft. The Reds should release Taveras and Lincoln and protect Dorn and Valiquette. I wouldn't cut anyone else from the current 40 man unless the team can make some August or November deals to free more space.
    That's about how I would see it if the players are accurate. Not sure I wouldn't protect Valiquette or Dorn over Ondrusek but I'm not as up on him as others I always thought he was more of a 6th/7th inning type of arm, kind of Manuel-Esque but as I said I don't know enough about his stuff to be positive.

I do question if those players are accurate for instance I didn't think Valaika and Watson would have to be put on it already. But I can't recall all the rule 5 eligible rules. I just know we drafted them what 2-3 years ago?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Burton is Arb eligible, so considering his performance this year, and his injury, he might not get offered a contract. If he's smart, he would agree to sign for a reasonable amount before it got to that point, but if he insists on a big raise, the Reds might just non-tender him.
    I'd hate to see that I am hoping Burton and Bray come back healthy and productive next year. If so losing Roenicke & Stewart doesn't hurt as much.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

there is no way we dont offer Burton arbitration if hes eligible. Even with the good years he had we still isnt going to be getting that much money. Plus its not like we have relievers piling up to replace him now that we traded Manuel, Josh and Zach.

Hadn't really been paying that much attention, but Jeff Kennard is scoreless over his last 10 appearances, 16.2 with 22 K's. Might end up mattering to the question of this thread.

Here's what the rule is for players needing to be protected:

Eligibility: A player not on a team's Major League 40-man roster is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if: the player was 18 or younger when he first signed a pro contract and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft since he signed, OR if he was 19 or older when he first signed a pro contract and this is the third Rule 5 draft since he signed.
    Also, keep in mind that any player on the 60 day DL will have to be placed back on the 40 man roster at the close of the season. So while we've made room for others during the season, those be kept will have to find a 40 man shortly after the end of the season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

nm

Gone:
    Ramon Hernandez (buyout)
    Danny Richar (has already been DFAed once)
    Alex Gonzalez (buyout)
    Laynce Nix (not offered arbitration due to the young outfielders in AAA)
    Jonny Gomes (see: Laynce Nix)
    Sean Henry (not enough power to be worth a roster spot)
    Dallas Buck (can't stay healthy)
    Bill Bray (can't stay healthy and out of options)
    Mike Lincoln (will be DFAed eventually)
    Ben Jukich (one-trick pony that won't translate to ML success)
    Alex Smit (probably a future LOOGY at best)
    Enerio Del Rosario (a pitch-to-contact reliever isn't much of a commodity)
    Phil Valiquette (too wild to be effective)

That would leave a 40-man roster of (new additions in bold):
    (19)
    C Ryan Hanigan
    C Wilkin Castillo
    C Craig Tatum
    1B Joey Votto
    1B Yonder Alonso
    2B Brandon Phillips
    2B Drew Sutton
    3B Scott Rolen
    3B Adam Rosales
    3B Juan Francisco
    SS Paul Janish
    SS Chris Valaika
    LF Wladimir Balentien
    LF Danny Dorn
    CF Chris Dickerson
    CF Willy Taveras
    CF Chris Heisey
    CF Drew Stubbs
    RF Jay Bruce

(12)
    SP Edinson Volquez
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Johnny Cueto
    SP Bronson Arroyo
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Micah Owings
    SP Ramon Ramirez
    SP Sam LeCure
    SP Matt Maloney
    SP Daryl Thompson
    SP Jordan Smith
    SP Travis Wood

(9)
    RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Arthur Rhodes
    RP David Weathers
    RP Nick Masset
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Carlos Fisher
    RP Daniel Ray Herrera
    RP Sean Watson
    RP Pedro Viola

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Gone:
    Ramon Hernandez (buyout)
    Alex Gonzalez (buyout)

(19)
    C Ryan Hanigan
    C Wilkin Castillo
    C Craig Tatum
    1B Joey Votto
    1B Yonder Alonso
    2B Brandon Phillips
    2B Drew Sutton
    3B Scott Rolen
    3B Adam Rosales
    3B Juan Francisco
    SS Paul Janish
    SS Chris Valaika
    LF Wladimir Balentien
    LF Danny Dorn
    CF Chris Dickerson
    CF Willy Taveras
    CF Chris Heisey
    CF Drew Stubbs
    RF Jay Bruce

(12)
    SP Edinson Volquez
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Johnny Cueto
    SP Bronson Arroyo
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Micah Owings
    SP Ramon Ramirez
    SP Sam LeCure
    SP Matt Maloney
    SP Daryl Thompson
    SP Jordan Smith
    SP Travis Wood

(9)
    RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Arthur Rhodes
    RP David Weathers
    RP Nick Masset
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Carlos Fisher
    RP Daniel Ray Herrera
    RP Sean Watson
    RP Pedro Viola
    Interesting assessment. The only guy in bold that you listed that I would have any problem adding to the 40 man is Watson, I just don't believe in the kid and I'm not sure he's even gotten any of his others pitches up to par yet. Pretty good additions.

That said the rest of the 40 is where I would change some things around. #1 I'd have a conversation with Ramon Hernandez (after I bought him out) about coming back as Hanigans back up at a much reduced price to last season. Although that has little to do with the 40 as I wouldn't sign him until after the rule 5 draft. But I would have to in essence save a spot for him and a few others. I think there is a lot of work to be done on the 40 this offseason, a lot. But I would have Bill Bray on my 40 man regardless he can stay healthy he did all of '08 and put up great numbers and his arm was (and probably still will be) too good to just throw away. Even if you don't think he's a long term keeper he can be a good trade chip.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Interesting assessment. The only guy in bold that you listed that I would have any problem adding to the 40 man is Watson, I just don't believe in the kid and I'm not sure he's even gotten any of his others pitches up to par yet. Pretty good additions.

Watson has too much ability to let him walk.

I'd be suprised if he isn't protected.

I wonder if Wilkin Castillo and Ramon Ramirez will be protected, among those on the projected list. Darryl Thompson could be a question mark with his health problems. And the Reds may deal Maloney, they don't seem to want him in the big leagues, I don't know what kind of future he has with the club.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Watson has too much ability to let him walk.

I'd be suprised if he isn't protected.
    At the same time, I would be surprised if he were to be drafted if left unprotected. At the same time, there is no way the Reds don't protect a lefty that throws 95 MPH in Valiquette. He will be protected short of an arm injury between now and the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hadn't really been paying that much attention, but Jeff Kennard is scoreless over his last 10 appearances, 16.2 with 22 K's. Might end up mattering to the question of this thread.
    The streak is longer than that. It's over 23 innings.

I would not protect Valiquette. I might protect Jukich unless he falters at the end of this season. I would also protect Ondrusek.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    The streak is longer than that. It's over 23 innings.

I would not protect Valiquette. I might protect Jukich unless he falters at the end of this season. I would also protect Ondrusek.
    Streak was 16.2 over his last ten outings when I posted. I would protect Valiquette if possible; I would protect him over Castillo and Valaika for sure and perhaps before others.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Gone:
    Ramon Hernandez (buyout)
    Alex Gonzalez (buyout)

(19)
    C Ryan Hanigan
    C Wilkin Castillo
    C Craig Tatum
    1B Joey Votto
    1B Yonder Alonso
    2B Brandon Phillips
    2B Drew Sutton
    3B Scott Rolen
    3B Adam Rosales
    3B Juan Francisco
    SS Paul Janish
    SS Chris Valaika
    LF Wladimir Balentien
    LF Danny Dorn
    CF Chris Dickerson
    CF Willy Taveras
    CF Chris Heisey
    CF Drew Stubbs
    RF Jay Bruce

(12)
    SP Edinson Volquez
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Johnny Cueto
    SP Bronson Arroyo
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Micah Owings
    SP Ramon Ramirez
    SP Sam LeCure
    SP Matt Maloney
    SP Daryl Thompson
    SP Jordan Smith
    SP Travis Wood

(9)
    RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Arthur Rhodes
    RP David Weathers
    RP Nick Masset
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Carlos Fisher
    RP Daniel Ray Herrera
    RP Sean Watson
    RP Pedro Viola
    This list makes a lot of sense. Sorry to agree on Bray, many in baseball saw him as one of the best up and coming LH relievers, but he hasn't been healthy. Agree on Smith, but his inability to stay healthy has to be a concern. I just wonder though, how a Dorn/Gomes platoon in LF might do. It should reach 40+ HRs for sure.
    Last edited by gedred69; 08-07-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: addition

Daryl Thompson should not be protected. His arm is shot. I don't think Jordan Smith is healthy either.

Turn Off Ads?