Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 189

Thread: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    what do you mean moving?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bryant, AR
    Posts
    9

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Sorry, that was a little vague. I see that most say he will be placed on the 40-man.

    What are the chances of that or percentage?

    Also, who is going to start SAT against LA

  4. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,627

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Anybody think Wells raised his chances of being on the 40 last night?

  5. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Anybody think Wells raised his chances of being on the 40 last night?
    Knowing the Reds yes

  6. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,627

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Finding guys like Wells at the point where they may have learned to be effective is an important part of putting together a successful bullpen. I'm not saying--yet--that Wells is in that category but he may very well be. The guy has won 65 major league games, which is a whole lot more than many of our pitchers--including some most beloved on RZ--will likely ever win.

  7. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Finding guys like Wells at the point where they may have learned to be effective is an important part of putting together a successful bullpen. I'm not saying--yet--that Wells is in that category but he may very well be. The guy has won 65 major league games, which is a whole lot more than many of our pitchers--including some most beloved on RZ--will likely ever win.
    I really dont care how many games hes won, but we can play this game all day if you want. He's also a lost whole lot more than any of our most hated reds are going to in their careers.

  8. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,627

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I really dont care how many games hes won, but we can play this game all day if you want. He's also a lost whole lot more than any of our most hated reds are going to in their careers.
    I'm not interested in playing any games. I just think there's a good chance people should start taking the possibility of Wells being on the roster next year when they start calculating who has to be on/off regarding Rule 5 picks.

  9. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm not interested in playing any games. I just think there's a good chance people should start taking the possibility of Wells being on the roster next year when they start calculating who has to be on/off regarding Rule 5 picks.
    You are certainly trying to play a game when you say hes won more games than some guys on our guys have or will.

  10. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Kip Wells? C'mon, he's one of the worst active pitchers in MLB and he's only on the 40-man roster now because the Reds have so many injuries and he's cheap...I don't think even the Reds would do something as silly as leave him on the 40-man roster. He won't even be under contract at the time of the Rule 5 draft so the whole conversation is mind-boggling. Lehr most likely won't be under contact at that time either, and even if he was, he won't be taking a younger players spot at this point.

    Bum

  11. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,627

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Kip Wells? C'mon, he's one of the worst active pitchers in MLB and he's only on the 40-man roster now because the Reds have so many injuries and he's cheap...I don't think even the Reds would do something as silly as leave him on the 40-man roster. He won't even be under contract at the time of the Rule 5 draft so the whole conversation is mind-boggling. Lehr most likely won't be under contact at that time either, and even if he was, he won't be taking a younger players spot at this point.

    Bum
    Sorry to disagree, but right now I'd put both Lehr and Wells ahead of Micah Owings in the rotation. I don't really think, though, that Wells has a future in the rotation for us, but the guy is an experienced pitcher, he threw four scoreless yesterday, his velocity was in the mid 90's throughout. My objection about him is to seeing him constantly dissed by a lot of RZ wannabes. Nobody who's won 65 major league games deserves to be called roster fodder etc. I don't agree with Dusty about much, but he does know something when he talks about respect.

  12. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    What does RZ wannabes even mean?

  13. #87
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but right now I'd put both Lehr and Wells ahead of Micah Owings in the rotation. I don't really think, though, that Wells has a future in the rotation for us, but the guy is an experienced pitcher, he threw four scoreless yesterday, his velocity was in the mid 90's throughout. My objection about him is to seeing him constantly dissed by a lot of RZ wannabes. Nobody who's won 65 major league games deserves to be called roster fodder etc. I don't agree with Dusty about much, but he does know something when he talks about respect.
    Well Kip hasn't yet fixed his issue which is he can't consistently throw strikes. He walks way too many guys. 4.3 BB's per 9 in his career and currently sitting at 5.3 so far early on. Relief pitchers can't be coming in starting fires they need to throw strikes. And that's not too mention his career 9.4 Hits per 9.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #88
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,249

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but right now I'd put both Lehr and Wells ahead of Micah Owings in the rotation. I don't really think, though, that Wells has a future in the rotation for us, but the guy is an experienced pitcher, he threw four scoreless yesterday, his velocity was in the mid 90's throughout. My objection about him is to seeing him constantly dissed by a lot of RZ wannabes. Nobody who's won 65 major league games deserves to be called roster fodder etc. I don't agree with Dusty about much, but he does know something when he talks about respect.
    How about chaff? Because at this point that is what he is. He allows way too many baserunners, and in general is not a player that contributes to winning baseball. In short, he stinks, and since when did counting stats like cumulative career wins become a measuring stick? If we are playing that game can't we talk about his career .401 winning percentage, or his 97 losses? He hasn't done anything since 2003. He hasn't posted a sub 1.5 whip since then.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  15. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,627

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    I have more respect for all players than to call any of them "chaff," or "fodder," or "dreck," terms routinely thrown around by Rzers. Those are terms, IMO, used by people who have an insufficient appreciation for the achievement of those who play the game at this level and particularly for those who have managed to stay around as long as Wells. My point about his 65 wins was not some kind of statistical projection of what he'll do; it was a point about the respect he deserves for what he's done. As to his lifetime percentage, it's worth remembering he's been on some pretty bad teams. What I just don't get is why people are so completely unwilling even to consider the possibility that a Wells or Lehr could contribute, probably from the pen, to this club next year. Wells' control is an issue, of course, as is Lehr's velocity. But pitchers do sometimes manage a rotation to pen transition sometimes and I've even seen a couple of successful righthanders throw no harder than Lehr. That's the last I'm saying about either of them.

  16. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I have more respect for all players than to call any of them "chaff," or "fodder," or "dreck," terms routinely thrown around by Rzers. Those are terms, IMO, used by people who have an insufficient appreciation for the achievement of those who play the game at this level and particularly for those who have managed to stay around as long as Wells. My point about his 65 wins was not some kind of statistical projection of what he'll do; it was a point about the respect he deserves for what he's done. As to his lifetime percentage, it's worth remembering he's been on some pretty bad teams. What I just don't get is why people are so completely unwilling even to consider the possibility that a Wells or Lehr could contribute, probably from the pen, to this club next year. Wells' control is an issue, of course, as is Lehr's velocity. But pitchers do sometimes manage a rotation to pen transition sometimes and I've even seen a couple of successful righthanders throw no harder than Lehr. That's the last I'm saying about either of them.
    "Wins dont matter but they do"


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25