Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    127

    Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Heres why I think this trade makes sense for 2010 and beyond:

    We traded from a position of strength (young bullpen arms) to shore up a position of weakness (3B defense, RH bat, veteran position leadership).

    The Volquez injury hurts but the Reds are now set up to start the 2010 season with a great bullpen (Cordero, Rhodes, Masset, Herrera, Fisher), a decent rotation (Cueto, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Owings) and a great defense that will help both the bullpen and the rotation.

    Assuming we bring Gomes back our lineup could be something like this (2009 stats):

    CF Dickerson: OPS = .715, Field% = .977
    2B Phillips: OPS = .799, F% = .985
    1B Votto: OPS = 1.015, F% = .989
    3B Rolen: OPS = .846, F% = .979
    RF Bruce: OPS = .725, F% = .989
    C Hanigan: OPS = .780, F% = .997
    LF Gomes: OPS = .933, F% = .978
    SS Janish: OPS = .582, F% = .980

    Our weakest positions are CF, SS and LF. These just also happen to be the positions that we have prospects that seem to be the closest to major league ready in Frazier (LF), Stubbs and Heisey (CF or LF) and Valaika and Cozart (SS).

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    539

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    I agree, just because a player is in their mid 30s doesnt mean they cant contribute the following season even if we dont make a run this season.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    I like Rolen. His health is the issue, so we better have a good back up plan if we plan on competing. His contract really hand cuffs us as well when it comes to plugging those holes we have.

    As for the holes I dont think Frazier is going to be an option for LF next year. Stubbs shouldnt be on the team unless hes the every day CF. Probably the same with Heisey. Cozart is probably not going to be ready for SS next year either.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    This trade is good for one reason. Adding a Great Player, a great Role Model, a Right Handed Power Bat that could hit 25 and knock in 100 in 2010...

    But, He makes 11.25 Million next year if not more.

    Why if this team were going to pick up a Salary like this could not have it Traded for Cliff Lee and his 8 Million Dollar Salary next year...

    What about Trading for Rolen and Halladay? I mean, try a Big Trade...

    Rolen is a nice schrewd move by Walt, but the FO should have gotton this guy when Philly traded him to the Cards years ago to go between Griffey and Dunn...

    Just a lil bit too late... But Rolen may be able to help attract Free Agents...

  6. #5
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,250

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    I like Rolen quite a bit, but I think there's a long way to go before they're decent in the starting rotation (without Volquez) and strong defensively. As you pointed out, LF, CF and SS are still big question marks. Two of those three are the "up the middle" positions, which could be alarming.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    His health is no more of an issue than anyone else really. You never know how a player recovers or progresses. When Junior got traded here, he was injured his first few years. Then the past few years, considerably older, he hasn't had any major problems whatsoever.

    Reading from the Jays, he changed his swing mechanics a bit in the offseason to compensate for a bad shoulder, and he's become more productive and took the strain off that shoulder as well.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    His health is no more of an issue than anyone else really. You never know how a player recovers or progresses. When Junior got traded here, he was injured his first few years. Then the past few years, considerably older, he hasn't had any major problems whatsoever.

    Reading from the Jays, he changed his swing mechanics a bit in the offseason to compensate for a bad shoulder, and he's become more productive and took the strain off that shoulder as well.
    Now matter how you want to put it Rolens health is an issue more than other players.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Now matter how you want to put it Rolens health is an issue more than other players.
    Whatever you say, it always sounds good to predict someone's health. I bet you probably hope he gets hurt just so you can come on here and rant about it too, right?

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Whatever you say, it always sounds good to predict someone's health. I bet you probably hope he gets hurt just so you can come on here and rant about it too, right?
    He played 112 in 07, and 115 in 08. Hes played in 88 of 103 games this year. Even if he avoids the DL we should probably only expect him for 120-130 games next year.

  11. #10
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Taveras plays centerfield. Dude is fast.

  12. #11
    Bleeding Red in the South
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    166

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    This trade only makes sense if they go out and make some moves this offseason to become real contenders. If they stand pat and go with what we have this trade was a colossal mistake, and just shows how dumb our front office really is.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    He played 112 in 07, and 115 in 08. Hes played in 88 of 103 games this year. Even if he avoids the DL we should probably only expect him for 120-130 games next year.
    His injuries spur from two things: the shoulder problem from a collison like 4 years ago, which looks to be resolved because he changed his batting stance and its shown this year. He was injured before the year because of a finger injury during drills, which also tore his fingernail off. The two aren't related.

    Saying someone is injury prone is ridiculous with a position player, because its almost always something that causes it. A collision, getting hit on a pitch, making a dive in the field, or whatever. That doesn't mean you're any more likely to be injured afterwards just because you were injured on something completely unrealted before.

    He could go out tonight and get drilled in the leg with a line drive and his kneecap cracked. Does that make him injury prone? No, thats just bad luck. Same with Junior. He kept getting injured, and it was basically a new injury every time resulting from a play out in the field. Now, he's been relatively injury free, even though he's older. He didn't suddenly find the fountain of youth or something, he just hasn't had as bad of luck.

    As long as something doesn't occur in the field to injure Rolen, he's no more likely to be injured than anyone else. Just because he's 34 doesn't mean he's any more or less likely to twist an ankle or break a wrist than anyone else. See Jay Bruce, Edwin Encarnacion, etc. Young guys who get injured just because of the nature of the game. Their age didn't matter, it just happened. When Scott Rolen has been injured, its because of those things, the same thing that can effect anyone on any given night.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Brick wall

    You are the only person who thinks Rolens health is a non issue.

  15. #14
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,181

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Well, if we're headed that direction, AGon's knee, Phillips' finger, Votto's anxiety, Hanigan's neck, Bruce's wrist, Volquez's elbow, Arroyo's hand and Hernandez's knee should also be major concerns heading into next season.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Why the Rolen trade makes sense for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Well, if we're headed that direction, AGon's knee, Phillips' finger, Votto's anxiety, Hanigan's neck, Bruce's wrist, Volquez's elbow, Arroyo's hand and Hernandez's knee should also be major concerns heading into next season.
    Hopefully a couple of those guys wont be on the team, but other than Phillips, Bruce and Hanigan id agree.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25