Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Why?

Why does Dusty lead off Sutton and continue to hit Gonzo in the 2 hole? Why not move Hannigan up to the 2 spot and let the new guy Balentien lead off? This is so stupid. Your 2 worst hitters in the lineup are gonna get more AB's than anyone. Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Why?

It's better than Tavares. Willy Tavares makes Drew Sutton look like Peter Edward in comparison.

But to answer the question as to why the worst hitters hit 1st and 2nd, it's simple Bakermetrics:

"Centerfielder bats leadoff, dude."

"Shortstop hits second, dude."
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Because Dusty doesnt understand the importance of getting on base in this game of baseball.

Gonzo 1 for his last 34 Dusty say's hey lets put him in the 2 hole!!!!!! Down 5-2 in the 8th a 2-0 count. And he swings at ball 3. We should just put him on waivers and let him go.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    It's better than Tavares. Willy Tavares makes Drew Sutton look like Peter Edward in comparison.

But to answer the question as to why the worst hitters hit 1st and 2nd, it's simple Bakermetrics:

"Centerfielder bats leadoff, dude."

"Shortstop hits second, dude."
    And since he's overdue, when Gonzo does goes off, you know it's gonna be big-time.

Dusty has said something before that you cant have too many outs at the bottom of the order. Im not kidding.

"A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said. "I figured, with Junior behind him, they’ll give him something to hit or I can hit-and-run or bunt a guy over."

There it is. Hes talkin about Janish batting 2nd.

While I have defended the Rolen trade I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter who we get as long as Baker is calling the shots on the field.If we could just get rid of Baker these disagreements about who the Reds deal away,deal for and sign in the future might actually be worth arguing about.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    "A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said. "I figured, with Junior behind him, they’ll give him something to hit or I can hit-and-run or bunt a guy over."

Good Lord

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

Unreal. This is unheard of. I mean why have your worst 2 hitters get the most AB's? That is just plain ignorant.

Yea when I saw that he said that last year I thought "does this guy really not understand hes just giving them an easy inning in the 1st?"

About a month ago Toothpick observed (I can't find the exact quote) that walks are important to a leadoff hitter since his batting average will fall faster in a slump if he's not getting them.

You're left to just shake your head and ponder on the relative intelligences of a GM and owner that would actually hire and continue to support such a mental giant in the face of all observable data.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-02-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    While I have defended the Rolen trade I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter who we get as long as Baker is calling the shots on the field.If we could just get rid of Baker these disagreements about who the Reds deal away,deal for and sign in the future might actually be worth arguing about.
    Absolutely.

Unfortunately, what must it say about Jocketty's analytical prowess if he still hasn't arrived at that most obvious point?

Oh whats the big deal.This team is not finishing first anytime soon and it just might might get Baker
    fired by the end of this season.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Absolutely.

Unfortunately, what must it say about Jocketty's analytical prowess if he still hasn't arrived at that most obvious point?
    My guess is that his hands are tied.

Turn Off Ads?