Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds record since STL game choke: 6-20

Reds record since STL game choke: 6-20

Amazing. That's the turning point of the season, we had a chance to only be a game and a half back, and now we're one of the worst teams in baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds record since STL game choke: 6-20

Makes you wonder what Dustys job is here? We already had to trade for a "leader" and paid a pretty penny to do it. He cant fill out a line up card unless we trade away his toys. Makes you just wonder.

I was at that game and it was terribly deflating, but I think the lack of hitting and injuries finally caught up with them. And the pitching has been pretty bad lately.

Resident PED Expert

I know the pitching has been bad but I do belive the pressure of having to pitch with an offense that usually scores 3 runs or less behind you has to be in the back of thier minds. That could be leading to them pitching to fine. I mean who figured the game was over when it was 3 - 0? I know I did.

Pitching with an offense like our behind DEFINITELY makes a difference.

If any of you have ever pitched a game in yoru life you would know what i mean. Having an explosive offense makes you Pitch with much more confidence and not so Critical of every single pitch you make could mean the end of the game.

This is getting out of hand. And dusty should go by by.

Maybe if Baker hadn't chosen David Weathers, a man whom Pujols had OWNED, to pitch in that situation, we would be singing a different tune these days. OK, maybe not, but I'm just sayin..............
    Last edited by mlh1981; 08-02-2009 at 08:38 PM.

or maybe we woulda won that one game... and then lost all the same games we have lost since then, simply because we have the worst offense in the league. quit blaming this on one game. we had soo many games that could have seemed to deflate this team, but in reality it didn't. the first one that comes to mind is that sunday game where micah owings had that homerun to tie it but we lost in extras. also, that one where coco blew after the rain delay. there are at least a half dozen other "delaters". one game does not tell a season. our offense would suck no matter what, enough said

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    or maybe we woulda won that one game... and then lost all the same games we have lost since then, simply because we have the worst offense in the league. quit blaming this on one game. we had soo many games that could have seemed to deflate this team, but in reality it didn't. the first one that comes to mind is that sunday game where micah owings had that homerun to tie it but we lost in extras. also, that one where coco blew after the rain delay. there are at least a half dozen other "delaters". one game does not tell a season. our offense would suck no matter what, enough said
    Who said this was blaming the one game, if you're talking to me. The point is, since that point the team has been horrible. That's all it is.

I really think that game was the turning point in the season, if we would have won that game. I would have been willing to bet then we would have took the series which would have sent a message to Walt and Bob. Probably unlikely but that may have lit a fire under Walt to make a trade then...but who knows..we could play these kind of games all day. Just my 2cents.

I truly believe that in years to come, we can point to this game with certainty as the effective end of the 2009 season for the Cincinnati Reds.

That game was a crushing, demoralizing loss from which I believe we never fully recovered.

I said it that night prior to pitching to Pujols: walk him, concede the run, avoid the excellent possibility of a slam, get a double play and out of the inning, face AP no more that night. We all know what happened.

Homer had pitched a helluva game that night, Dusty should have pulled him and turned it over to the bullpen before it got to a crisis situation. We all know what happened.

So, if I'm asked: what was the 2009 turning point ? When did the Reds' last, best hope of making the playoffs end ?

It's the Pujols grand slam loss.

You have to give Baker bigtime points for being persistent. Taveras back where he doesn't belong. On a positive note the sun came up again this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    You have to give Baker bigtime points for being persistent. Taveras back where he doesn't belong. On a positive note the sun came up again this morning.
    hahaha bigtime points. i was wondering why people kept saying big time in the bakermetrics threads. i finally watched a post game interview with dusty, and he rattled it off like 3 or 4 times in 1 minute. i was rolling

If Tony LaRussa managed the Reds they win that game. He's smart of enough to realize you don't let some guys beat you. There's no way LaRussa would pitch to Pujols in that situation. If you remember in the bottom of the ninth he went out an told Ryan Frankin to walk Votto even though he was the winning run. You don't let guys like Votto and Pujols beat you, especially when the rest of both lineups are pretty poor. Not saying this game would have changed the season, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Amazing. That's the turning point of the season, we had a chance to only be a game and a half back, and now we're one of the worst teams in baseball.
    Lets not forget the 14 inning disaster just a few days later against the Cubs when the Reds stranded guys on 2nd and 3rd with less then 2 out in what seemed like every inning after the 8th.I was actually at that game with my 3 year old son(his first Reds game).I just hope he's young enough to forget that one.IMO this game contributed to the beginning of the end just as much as the St. Louis choke job.Either way those were two difficult loses in a 3 day span that I'd guess was a pretty good shot to the gut for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Lets not forget the 14 inning disaster just a few days later against the Cubs when the Reds stranded guys on 2nd and 3rd with less then 2 out in what seemed like every inning after the 8th.I was actually at that game with my 3 year old son(his first Reds game).I just hope he's young enough to forget that one.IMO this game contributed to the beginning of the end just as much as the St. Louis choke job.Either way those were two difficult loses in a 3 day span that I'd guess was a pretty good shot to the gut for the players.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Weathers served up that gopher ball to Pujols on Friday night July 3rd, not June 20. And your right the season officially ended that night.

Turn Off Ads?