Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayton Dragons players question

Dayton Dragons players question

I haven't been following the low minor leagues at all this year, but I just attended a Dragons game last night, and I was curious if anyone knew what the projections are, or where the following rank on the prospects list:

Puckett
    Wiley
    Coddington

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton Dragons players question

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I haven't been following the low minor leagues at all this year, but I just attended a Dragons game last night, and I was curious if anyone knew what the projections are, or where the following rank on the prospects list:

Puckett
    Wiley
    Coddington

Having to guess I'd think marginal major leaguers all, I just can't see any of them being regulars based on talent but had you ask me the same a couple of years ago I'd have said the same thing about Heisey & Hanigan. I'd think Coddington, Puckett and Wiley in the pecking order of value. Wiley could be very good with the bat but his defense is subpar, Puckett looks like a potentially solid supersub and Coddington could be a solid platoon/backup catcher. Wiley could surpass them both if his bat continues to develop.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-02-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

Puckett
    Wiley
    Coddington

I'm curious as to why you asked about those three. They are definitely three of the better prospects on the roster (along with Josh Fellhauer and Miguel Rojas, just speaking of position players), and I'm wondering if you were able to discern that with an eyeball evaluation.

I think Puckett might have difficulty because he doesn't seem to be a strong defensive infielder. His bat seems very playable for SS or 2B, but it appears doubtful that he'll stay there.

Wiley is having an excellent year with the bat. He has a good eye and nice power and to me seems to have big-league potential as a hitter. But his defense appears to be the issue. By most accounts, he's not much of an outfielder.

Of the three, I like Coddington's chances the best. Not much was expected of him this year, but he won himself playing time and has been a .300 hitter all season. The best thing is that somebody said back in March or April--and I think it was Johnny Bench--that he was the best-looking defensive catcher he had seen all spring.

Anyway, what was your impression of these guys?

It's pretty obvious that those 3 players are in the upper tier of talent in regards to the rest of the team minus Rojas and Fellhauer (In terms of position players)

However, I may be under that impression because I have been able to see them everyday during BP and during every game

I also really like 3B Carlos Mendez. I can see him making an impact because of his bat, his defense and his composure. He carries himself like a pro and you can tell that he knows what he is doing and that he is miles ahead of other players at his position in the MWL

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post

Anyway, what was your impression of these guys?
    These were the three guys that stood out the most to me just from watching them play.

Well, understand that I'm only going on one game here, but from what I saw, Coddington, in this one game, was one of the best defensive catchers I've seen in a long time everywhere. I honestly saw no holes in his defense, solid all around.

Wiley, again, in this one game, approached every at bat, and every play in the field, with an intensity that may only be seen in a young player determined to improve themself at all costs. I saw him constantly adapting his plate approach and fielding positions on each pitch, at the plate and in the field. If he made a mistake, he got angry at himself, and regained his focus with a look of determination. I can't explain it in baseball terms, but there's something about this kid that excites me.

With Puckett, for his level, I saw a very solid looking ballplayer. There were some holes in his game, lack of concentration at times, but that's something that can be worked on. His approach at the plate looked good, and he looks like he may be able to develop some decent power.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    They are definitely three of the better prospects on the roster (along with Josh Fellhauer and Miguel Rojas, just speaking of position players)
    My fiancee said she thought Rojas looked like a ballplayer. She's seen maybe 3 games her entire life, and when I asked her what she meant by that, she just shrugged and said that from all the players there, he looked the most like a ballplayer. I still don't know what that means.

Resident PED Expert

I really believe for what Fellhauer had accomplished coming straight out of college offensivly, he might be the 6th best postion player prospect in the system. With Alonso, Frazier, Heisley, Stubbs and Cozart ahead of him. But quite possibly has a higher celing than any other than Alonso, Frazier and Soto. I almost be tempted to move him to AA when (if) Frazier gets promoted just to see how he handles it.

Rojas has impressed me the most of all Reds prospects this year. Litterally he has improved himself as a hitter every single month this season. I mean the guy got nowhere near the Mendoza line in Billings last year. He OPS'd .493 last year in 208 AB's and OPS'd .333 the first month of the season. His OPS is up to .685 but put up a .867 last month and has excellent plate diciplline. He has made himself into a better ball player base on hard work day in and day out.

Resident PED Expert

One more thing. Wiley has a ML bat in my opinion. Joey made a very small correction in his swing when he was in Dayton. Byron said he was lifting the bat just a touch before contact causing him to hit alot of GB and have a very low LD%. Votto spotted it made a suggestion on a correction and as his LD% went up so did his BA and SLG% hiis K rate dropped as well while maintaining a very stellar walk rate. If you took his numbers over his last 30 games out over a full season or basically he would put up 205 hits, 50 doubles, 10 triples, 35 HR, 145 RBI's, 90 BB's, 135 K's and 15 steals. 155 games and 580 ABs.

Now I know he can't put up thise types of numbers for a full season. But he has shown over a 30+ game run he has the ability to carry a team with his bat. Even if he just leveled out between what he was to what he is now that still would be a very good set of #'s. His OBP will always be high due to the amount of BB's he draws. This is another guy who could probaly skip a level and adjust by midseason. I think his bat would play well in LF in GABP even if his glove doesn't.

Turn Off Ads?