Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Baker last the season?

Will Baker last the season?

What does everyone think? I hope he's gone. I really liked Mackanin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Baker last the season?

He shouldnt but he will. Bob and Walt will let him manage out his contract heck they may even resign him after next year...but I hope not. Bob needs to get Tony in Cincy right now.

Yes. He is owed way too much money for us to dump him.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    He shouldnt but he will. Bob and Walt will let him manage out his contract heck they may even resign him after next year...but I hope not. Bob needs to get Tony in Cincy right now.
    Tony who?

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Tony who?
    larussa, i imagine

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Fat chance now that Scottie boy is here for good.

Could Old Walt have forgotten that?

I think Dusty does some things that I'll never understand and he's frustrated me beyond belief.

That said I think he's a good guy (and that does count) and he wants to win. I saw the tremendous stress and stain on his face after today's loss. After all he is a millionaire and doesn't really have to care (there's a bunch of ball players that simply don't care) but today I saw he obviously does.

Bad, bad season and some unbelievable let-downs. But no matter how exhausted I am I know come December I'll wish it was still baseball season.

Baseball in Cincinnati is better than no baseball in Cincinnati. I'm throwing the towel in for yet another season. Maybe next year.

Resident PED Expert

I am sure Dusty cares. He actually has a famous quote about caring how putting rookies in the lineup would hurt his W-L record as a manager. Also keeping in mind the every single starter on this team has went on the DL except for Phillips and Taveras. They probaly shoulda when Phillips had the injury to the thumb and Taveras to the Hammy.

Bruce Broken wrist.
    EdE Broken hand.
    Votto stress.
    Dickerson shoulder
    Hernandez knee.
    Gonzales for sucking.

ok not for sucking... but if there was a DL for suckitude he'd be on there with his .507 OPS...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    I think Dusty does some things that I'll never understand and he's frustrated me beyond belief.

That said I think he's a good guy (and that does count) and he wants to win. I saw the tremendous stress and stain on his face after today's loss. After all he is a millionaire and doesn't really have to care (there's a bunch of ball players that simply don't care) but today I saw he obviously does.

Bad, bad season and some unbelievable let-downs. But no matter how exhausted I am I know come December I'll wish it was still baseball season.

Baseball in Cincinnati is better than no baseball in Cincinnati. I'm throwing the towel in for yet another season. Maybe next year.
    I, also, think Dusty is a good guy. But that's not enough...you also have to have a baseball mind, strategy, etc. And I think it's become clear that Dusty doesn't. Heck, I'm a good guy but we sure don't want me managing the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I am sure Dusty cares. He actually has a famous quote about caring how putting rookies in the lineup would hurt his W-L record as a manager. Also keeping in mind the every single starter on this team has went on the DL except for Phillips and Taveras. They probaly shoulda when Phillips had the injury to the thumb and Taveras to the Hammy.

Bruce Broken wrist.
    EdE Broken hand.
    Votto stress.
    Dickerson shoulder
    Hernandez knee.
    Gonzales for sucking.

ok not for sucking... but if there was a DL for suckitude he'd be on there with his .507 OPS...
    Injuries no doubt have played a part, but again we come back to Dusty's head scratching moves as more of a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    I, also, think Dusty is a good guy. But that's not enough...you also have to have a baseball mind, strategy, etc. And I think it's become clear that Dusty doesn't. Heck, I'm a good guy but we sure don't want me managing the Reds.
    Yes of course you're right and he obviously makes crazy frustrating moves. That said he obviously cares and in that (at least for me) there is some merit. I mean after all there are some current Reds starters who obviously don't give a crap. Obviously.

Dusty can't do anything about a person (or person's) who are SO self absorbed and SO wealthy that winning no longer holds any reasonable incentives.

A team playing this badly should consider firing their manager.I'm not sure what it would take for the front office to make that decision but something tells me that even finishing in last place wouldn't do it.I just have a feeling that we are stuck with Dusty until next year.If we are out of it again a year from now they'll probably pull the trigger.

I would like Buddy Bell to get the job. No reasons of merit just because I would like to see a qualified ex-red have the job.

Quote Originally Posted by NWOhio14 View Post
    I would like Buddy Bell to get the job. No reasons of merit just because I would like to see a qualified ex-red have the job.
    I liked Bell but he had a pretty bad coaching career and last I herd is fighting cancer(i think he is doing well now fyi).Not sure if he would ever want to get back into coaching.

Would anybody consider Oester as they need a firery manager.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Given the tools the Reds have, do you think that having another manager would make that much of a difference? In no way am I a Dusty fan but how much control does he have over the holes in the outfield, (unless we know he pushed for Willy, which is entirely possible), SS, and 3B? Ultimately, how many games has Dusty cost us since he took over?

Maybe replacing Baker with someone else encourages Edwin to play better and we never pull the Rolen trade. Maybe we never sign C-Pat or Willy or get new hitting and pitching coaches or whatever. Then again, maybe our bullpen is absolute crap or Hanigan or Votto don't develop so well.

Every team within 7 games of their division has more runs scored than runs allowed. We need either to score 90 more runs, allow 90 less, or a combination of the two. That amounts to about .865 runs per game. If you increase the OBP of the 1 and 2 hitters by 70 points (which is sadly realistic), that gives you somewhere between 20 and 30 runs over 300 at-bats using only in-house options. If the Reds invested in a good lead off hitter, someone with a .370 + OBP, and subsequently increase the #2 hitter 100 points or more, and you may have halved your run deficit that quickly.

If you consider we're in the bottom 10 in runs allowed, that's a huge improvement. Letting starters continue pitching with 110 pitches is a start. All in all, I don't think this team has the tools to get there, but I think they're closer than what they look.

Turn Off Ads?