Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do the Reds' Need to make a major move to address the Catcher position before 2010?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 24.49%
  • No

37 75.51%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Catcher a Position that Needs to be Addressed in the Off-Season?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Is Catcher a Position that Needs to be Addressed in the Off-Season?

After reading through the numerous Rolen threads, many posters seem to be operating under the understanding that the Rolen trade makes most sense if the Reds make more moves to fill holes to be competitive in the 2010 season.

My question is simple: Is the catcher position a hole? Ryan Hanigan is sporting a .309/.399/.366 line this year in 205 PAs. A small sample size to be sure, but even Dusty seems to be buying in by batting him 2nd.

Do you believe the catcher position needs to be addressed in the off-season? Is Hanigan/Tatum a good enough tandem in the off-season or do the Reds need to make a major deal like is the case with SS & LF?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Catcher a Position that Needs to be Addressed in the Off-Season?

I personally think that the Reds do not need to address the catcher position in 2010. I would rather allocate my off-season resources trying to trade for Yunel Escobar or signing Marco Scutaro to a 2-year deal and then either trying to deal for a legit LF bat or signing a Dye type bat.

I don't think Hanigan/Tatum is strong enough. Maybe when Tatum has some more success offensively at AAA.

Optimally, a left handed hitting veteran catcher to alternate with Hanigan. Or, Ramon Hernandez, if healthy, at a much reduced salary. Or just another solid guy with Hanigan.

This should not be an area for big expenditure, but the Reds will have to get someone.

I think Hanigan is certainly a promising solution, but I'd like a better backup than Tatum, though price would certainly be a factor.

I actually kind of like Hernandez when healthy, but he may cost too much for a backup (and he might still expect to be a starter.)

It's not as big a whole as it was a year ago, but could use a bit of an upgrade behind Hanigan.

You can bet your house that they won't go with a combined group that has less than 2 years of MLB experience.

They'll get a vet, someone who knows more about the league, someone to help the younger guys out.

Count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You can bet your house that they won't go with a combined group that has less than 2 years of MLB experience.

They'll get a vet, someone who knows more about the league, someone to help the younger guys out.

Count on it.
    Corky is still stashed away someplace.

I like Hanigan but I'm uncertain that he can maintain the kind of OPS he's putting up over the long season. As he tires, I can't see him maintaining the BA at the level he'll need to have a decent OPS--given the fact his SLG is going to be very low. I'd even guess the W rate will go down as he gets tired over the season: pitchers will force him to hit the ball. That will start to happen in the 2 spot as well. I fear he'll have a hard time maintaining a .700 OPS over a whole season of catching.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Corky is still stashed away someplace.
    Corky is just old now, he can't hit and he's sat more than played, he's DFA material. not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like Hanigan but I'm uncertain that he can maintain the kind of OPS he's putting up over the long season. As he tires, I can't see him maintaining the BA at the level he'll need to have a decent OPS--given the fact his SLG is going to be very low. I'd even guess the W rate will go down as he gets tired over the season: pitchers will force him to hit the ball. That will start to happen in the 2 spot as well. I fear he'll have a hard time maintaining a .700 OPS over a whole season of catching.
    You keep saying this, and I'll keep replying: Won't know until they try. He's been keeping his OBP steady all season.

Like woy, I think they'll grab a veteran in the offseason. My only hopes are 1) said veteran is a backup which allows Hanigan to start, and 2) said veteran isn't Paul Bako v2.0.

Tatum's looking like he'll grade out as a career emergency catcher. If he's the backup, or if the backup is merely an older version of him, then things will be a bit brutal.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Corky is just old now, he can't hit and he's sat more than played, he's DFA material. not a solution.
    I'm not saying he's a solution. I'm saying he's around.

"Is Hanigan/Tatum a good enough tandem in the off-season or do the Reds need to make a major deal like is the case with SS & LF? "

This question illegitmizes this poll. Is Hanigan Tatum a good enough tandem? No. Do the Reds need to make a major deal? No.

Is being around better than being a square?

I'm not saying he's a solution. I'm saying he's around.

You keep saying this, and I'll keep replying: Won't know until they try. He's been keeping his OBP steady all season.
    I agree. I'd give him the chance. Never said otherwise. But, what I'd conclude from it, is that I'd like a better backup plan than Tatum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Like woy, I think they'll grab a veteran in the offseason. My only hopes are 1) said veteran is a backup which allows Hanigan to start, and 2) said veteran isn't Paul Bako v2.0.

Tatum's looking like he'll grade out as a career emergency catcher. If he's the backup, or if the backup is merely an older version of him, then things will be a bit brutal.
    I agree with this assessment, but I hope Hanigan can maintain his current level of play so that we are only required to acquire a back-up catcher in the off-season. With the emergence of Hanigan, I really only see two holes that have a pressing need to be addressed this off-season, LF and SS, but I would love to see the Reds sign Brandon Webb if he is a free-agent.

Turn Off Ads?