Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Miller: Reds will be very active this month

Miller: Reds will be very active this month

Transcript from todays chat:

bob_miller:
    11:02 amHello everyone. Thanks for stopping by today. Its been a tough last 2 weeks for the Reds. Lets get started with the first question.

kmarchal10:
    11:02 amWhen will Scott Rolen be back?

bob_miller:
    11:05 amMaybe as early as tonight. Initial reports were no concussion. Re-examine when he gets in today.

redsman19:
    11:05 amDo you think we should trade Joey Votto for a right-handed power hitter?

bob_miller:
    11:06 amNo. Votto is a left handed power bat who is only going to get better and better.

hannahmoo:
    11:07 amWhat do you think Scott Rolen will bring to the ball club?

bob_miller:
    11:08 amVeteran leadership, plus plus defense, run producing offense and someone else who has won a World Series ring and knows what it takes to get there.

redsin4:
    11:09 amWhat are the club's expectations of Wladimir Balentien, and what is his contract status?

bob_miller:
    11:10 amBalentien is a young player with tremendous potential. His minor league numbers were excellent. He contract s under our control for 5 more years.

saintvic:
    11:11 amAny chance of a BIG trade in August again?

bob_miller:
    11:11 amCertainly. We'll see who clears waivers/gets claimed and who we can claim

msmith05:
    11:14 amIs it acceptable to see this team quit?

bob_miller:
    11:16 amNo, and I don't think they have. We battled back twice yesterday.

RedsFan1970:
    11:22 amHow close are we to signing our first two draft picks? Would we see Leake in action if he is signed soon?

bob_miller:
    11:29 amWe feel comfortable that we will get both signed before the 8/17 deadline. Both will pitch in the minors once signed.

ethanator9:
    11:29 amHow are the Reds going to have money to pay for Rolen next year?

bob_miller:
    11:31 amThe reports on the amount owed Rolen floating around is incorrect. While I'm not at liberty to say what the amount is, we are not responsible for some of it.

BrownSheep:
    11:31 amMr. Miller, what is your opinion of the hype surrounding the trade deadline?

bob_miller:
    11:32 amIts good for the game and gets people talking around the water cooler, but there will still be lots of moves in August. 8/31 is an important date because if you get a player by then he is eligible to be on your playoff roster. So many players that clear waivers over the next 4 weeks will be traded even though the trade "deadline" was 7/31.

LifelongRedsFan:
    11:33 amWhy did we trade a decent pitching prospect (Robert Manuel) for an outfielder who has struggles at the Major League level and who had been designated for assignment?

bob_miller:
    11:34 amBalentien has had success in the minors just like Manuel has. Neither has proved themselves in the majors yet. Desiganted for assignment is a rocedural matter. We got Brandon Phillips after he was designated for assignment in 2006. That worked out ok.

bob_miller:
    11:35 amSorry I have fat fingers typing today.

RedsFan1970:
    11:36 amWhat are your thoughts on instant replay on close plays at the plate? Follow-up if yes: Should managers get a set number of challenges?

bob_miller:
    11:37 amIt would be interesting to see the red flag like in the NFL come flying out of the dugout every now and then. I think instant replay started with baby steps and will expand in the future. How fast, I don't know.

rprprprprp:
    11:39 amWhat's the long-term solution at SS?

bob_miller:
    11:41 amCould be Cozart or Frazier (both at AA) or Valaika (AAA) or Janish. Or someone we get in a trade.

Hubcap1963:
    11:41 amHow are Jay Bruce and Ramon Hernandez recouperating?

bob_miller:
    11:42 amHopefully both will go on rehab sometime this month.

redsdevil:
    11:42 amTodd Frazier has been all over the field lately, where do you guys see him long-term?

bob_miller:
    11:43 amThe great thing with Todd is he can play just about anywhere in the infield plus LF. He'll be able to slot in wherever we need him.

ethanator9:
    11:44 amWill Votto get a contract extention in the offseason or anytime soon?

bob_miller:
    11:44 amThankfully, we have Joey under control for 4 more years.

muhawks88:
    11:45 amHow does the trade availability vary by minor leaguer? For example Yonder was not eligible to be traded this year, correct?

bob_miller:
    11:47 amYou can not be traded until one year from when you first signed. Yonder signed 8/15 last year. If you are a minor leaguer on the 40-man roster the rules are different than if you are a minor leaguer not on the 40-man. Non 40-man players can be traded at anytime (after the one year rule).

redsin4:
    11:47 amDo you feel there are players within the organization who can play at the Major League level at SS, CF and LF for next season? If so, who are they?

bob_miller:
    11:48 amI think Valaika/Frazier/Cozart can play in the infield and Stubbs/Heisey/Frazier in the outfield.

madman11:
    11:49 amDo you think we'll see Travis Wood in September? Or give him a shot in ST next year?

bob_miller:
    11:49 amI'm sure he will at least battle for a spot in spring training next year.

bob_miller:
    11:51 amOne final question....

muhawks88:
    11:51 amShould we be surprised to see the Reds active post trade-deadline?

bob_miller:
    11:51 amNo. I believe we will be very active. Always takes two to tango though.....

bob_miller:
    11:52 amThanks everyone. See you next month when hopefully we'll be playing better.
    I find it interesting that the Reds still view Frazier as a potential SS.

I still think that one of Harang or Arroyo will be gone by the end of the month. DougDirt, IIRC, said he heard that Walt had both moved but Cast nixed the deals cause of money. Hopefully over the next 28 days, Walt can convience the trading partner to come down on their salary demands.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miller: Reds will be very active this month

I dont think Frazier will ever play a game at SS for the Reds. From things I have heard he doesnt have the range for it. He has solid glove work but just not the range because of his size.

Bob Miller chats are pretty much worthless though I wouldnt put much stock into anything he really says.

If Frazier is considered a possibility at SS, does that mean Valaika has flamed out in the Reds opinion?

Schnickelfritz

Who is the dope who suggested trading Votto?!

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    If Frazier is considered a possibility at SS, does that mean Valaika has flamed out in the Reds opinion?
    I think Bob Miller just tried to be as vague as possible.

I kind of giggled when he mentioned Janish as a possibility at SS for next year, but then I realized he wouldn't be any worse than Gonzo.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    I kind of giggled when he mentioned Janish as a possibility at SS for next year, but then I realized he wouldn't be any worse than Gonzo.
    and then you cry because you then realize how they have stuck with Gonzo for so long, and that means they really could use Janish.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    Who is the dope who suggested trading Votto?!

Well, a lot of people felt we had enough LH hitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    and then you cry because you then realize how they have stuck with Gonzo for so long, and that means they really could use Janish.
    I don't think either one is a tremendous upgrade over the other. They're both poor.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I don't think either one is a tremendous upgrade over the other. They're both poor.
    I dont think either have a bat, I think Janish might be the better SS, but its all pointless because at least Janish is making the league minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont think either have a bat, I think Janish might be the better SS, but its all pointless because at least Janish is making the league minimum.
    This.

Actually, if they hand it to Janish for a season, it would be better than handing it to a veteran dreck for $2M
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?