Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cody Ross 17 homers now!!

Cody Ross 17 homers now!!

Makes me wonder what the heck this franchise was thinking letting him go for ZERO/NOTHING? he would have helped big time in LF for us.

sad to look back.. just like they did with Cantu.. two better players that would have helped this team and we wonder why a Patterson or Taveras is considered better signings.. oh well

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cody Ross 17 homers now!!

Agree that Ross would look very good in a Reds uniform right now, as would Cantu. Hard to understand the previous GM's handling of these two players. But I'd point out that Ross has an OPS of .792 (Cantu actually the same number) whereas Jonny Gomes is at .922 and hitting a home run about every 12.5 times to the plate. Gomes is really a very good story that's not getting recognized because we're so bad.

Also, Jeff Keppinger is currently turning in his normal .275/.350 line. I know he's a poor defensive shortstop, but I'm getting nostalgic for him. Or better still:

2b-Keppinger
    C- Hanigan
    ss-Phillips
    1b- Votto
    3b- Rolen
    LF- Gomes
    RF- Ross
    CF- Nix

That lineup would at least score some runs, I'd think...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree that Ross would look very good in a Reds uniform right now, as would Cantu. Hard to understand the previous GM's handling of these two players. But I'd point out that Ross has an OPS of .792 (Cantu actually the same number) whereas Jonny Gomes is at .922 and hitting a home run about every 12.5 times to the plate. Gomes is really a very good story that's not getting recognized because we're so bad.
    IMO Gomes should start in LF every day the rest of the way. Lets see if he can keep use his torrid OPS vs both RHP & LHP. if he can the he's our left fielder for 2010 & we can spend resources filling other holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IMO Gomes should start in LF every day the rest of the way. Lets see if he can keep use his torrid OPS vs both RHP & LHP. if he can the he's our left fielder for 2010 & we can spend resources filling other holes.
    Agree 100%.

The only thing I'm getting from this is that the Reds are so bad that people wish they had Cantu and Ross back. Every team misses on a few guys like this. They aren't particularly great players, but forgettable pieces. They are better than what we have, but in the grand scheme of things aren't important losses.

Neither Cantu or Keppinger should be playing anything other then 1st base, so I don't miss either that much, Ross though..that is a sting as he has power and some D, and he does hate walks so he would fit right in
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The only thing I'm getting from this is that the Reds are so bad that people wish they had Cantu and Ross back. Every team misses on a few guys like this. They aren't particularly great players, but forgettable pieces. They are better than what we have, but in the grand scheme of things aren't important losses.
    This actually made me laugh out loud. Because it's stunningly accurate.

Jorge Cantu and Cody Ross aren't awful players. But they're sure as hell not players that any fan base should wish and long for.

Ahhhhhhh, life as a Reds fan.

Juan Castro is hitting .325 for the Dodgers. Let's get him too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

First off, there are far few too exclamation points in the thread title to truly celebrate 17 homers thus far in the season. It's a 4 exclamation point event at least.

Second, if these guys were with the Reds, they'd be hitting .230ish and doing nothing and there would be a thread asking why we haven't released them yet. There's just something special about the Reds organization that pulls that special brand of suck out of a player.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-03-2009 at 01:07 PM.

It isn't as if the Reds gave up much to get him either. Can you remember the pitcher's name that they gave up off the top of your head? How's that guy doing? Do the Dodgers care that they dumped him? They had a lot longer to evaluate him.

Jay Bruce has 18 and some folks are ready to run him out of town. By all means, let's get Cody Ross back.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Cody's line: .260 .312 .436 .748

Reds need to aim higher then this.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

"...but if you TRY sometimes, you just might find...
    you get what you NEED"
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Who exactly is Cantu better than on the Reds roster. He isn't better than a healthy EE, and he isn't better than Rolen, and he isn't better than Votto.

Can he pitch?

At the time Ross was sent to FLA, there was no spot available for him with the Reds. All WK did there was send him someplace that he had an opportunity to play.

Do the Reds suck so bad we have to lament these two nothing moves? really?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?