Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pedro and The Curse

Pedro and The Curse

Back in Spring Training 1990 it was brought to the attention of the team that Pedro Bourbon had put a Voodoo Curse on the Reds team following his release in 1980 or so.

They talked Pedro into lifting the curse, and the Reds went on to perform a wire-to-wire season and beat the Oaklands A's in a huge upset.

But I seem to remember reading that he only lifted the curse for that one season. Does anyone remember any of this non-sense first?

And second, is it time to bring Pedro back, and get rid of this curse for good, no matter what we have to do?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Pedro and The Curse

Now we're grasping at straws. There's no such thing as curses. Ask the BoSox.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I can no hit curve ball. Hit straight ball very much.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Now we're grasping at straws. There's no such thing as curses. Ask the BoSox.
    If I ask the Bosox, the answer would be curses can't compete with steroids!

Now we can't go the steroid route. So...

I very clearly remember Bourbon coming up to Florida or Cincy in the preseason and lifting the curse.

How could it freakin' hurt? We haven't done crap since '90, except make the playoff's in '95. And there was no way to make it to the WS, because we had a Voodoo Curse on us. See how that works?

I say we beg him to lift the curse.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I can no hit curve ball. Hit straight ball very much.
    Hats....for bats? Gracias...

Seriously though. The Reds only curse over the past 15 or 20 years is:

A) too low payroll to compete with the Cubs or Cardinals

and

B) not having a GM that knows how to play the game on "high difficulty" level (low to average payroll)

and

C) not enough good fortune to compensate for deficiencies in A and B.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

^ I think a lot of B and C.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Back in Spring Training 1990 it was brought to the attention of the team that Pedro Bourbon had put a Voodoo Curse on the Reds team following his release in 1980 or so.

They talked Pedro into lifting the curse, and the Reds went on to perform a wire-to-wire season and beat the Oaklands A's in a huge upset.

But I seem to remember reading that he only lifted the curse for that one season. Does anyone remember any of this non-sense first?

And second, is it time to bring Pedro back, and get rid of this curse for good, no matter what we have to do?
    I'd sooner root for the Cubs than to start believing this sort of BS.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    If I ask the Bosox, the answer would be curses can't compete with steroids!

Now we can't go the steroid route. So...
    Sad thing is....half our players were probably on steroids that year too. And I wish somebody would give the 09 Reds some steroids.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    I'd sooner root for the Cubs than to start believing this sort of BS.
    Yeah but they believe they're cursed by a damn billy goat.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Yeah but they believe they're cursed by a damn billy goat.
    That's my point. Only losers complain about curses and jinxes. There is no such thing.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

God do you guys have any sense of humor?

I was asking if anyone knew the story. I should have googled it in the first place. If anyone cares, here's the "story" and the next link is Bourbon admitting it never happened. But I'd rather think there was a curse vs. the reality, which is there's no hope for us to win the WS, ever.

http://www.chinmusic.net/borbon.html

http://reds.enquirer.com/2002/09/23/...ng_paints.html

The main reason the Reds suck every year is because baseball doesn't have a salary cap, but they do have guaranteed contracts. The Reds organization will never have a high enough payroll to win a WS again, unless this is fixed. Every other big time team sport has a salary cap and lacks guaranteed contracts.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 08-04-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Turn Off Ads?