Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Possible Silver Lining????

  1. #1
    Member tommycash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    442

    Possible Silver Lining????

    If the Reds continue on this horrible pace, is there a chance that Dusty Bottoms gets the big pink slip at the end of the season?

    To me, that could be the only silver lining to this mess of a season.

    P.S.
    I am not blaming this entire season on Dusty, I just never liked him, and would like to see a change made.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

    ---Mr. Baseball 1992

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,364

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    If the Reds continue on this horrible pace, is there a chance that Dusty Bottoms gets the big pink slip at the end of the season?

    To me, that could be the only silver lining to this mess of a season.

    P.S.
    I am not blaming this entire season on Dusty, I just never liked him, and would like to see a change made.
    I think it's more realistic that Dusty resigns. I don't think we'll see him fired, not just yet, but I could see him jumping ship at the end of the year. Just watching him in the dugout now you can see his frustration level.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,639

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Possible silver lining?

    Strassburg.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  5. #4
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,877

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    We said the same thing about Bob Boone's tenure ending as well. How much better did things get when he was gone?

    I think this organizations problems are much bigger than any individual manager, and I'm not sure that another change after this year would do any good. I'm not sure another change is a true "silver lining" - it may be more of another cloud.

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    If the Reds continue on this horrible pace, is there a chance that Dusty Bottoms gets the big pink slip at the end of the season?

    To me, that could be the only silver lining to this mess of a season.

    P.S.
    I am not blaming this entire season on Dusty, I just never liked him, and would like to see a change made.

  6. #5
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,734

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Possible silver lining?

    Strassburg.
    Reports are saying Strasburg wants 50 Million.

    If that is the case.....I pass.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  7. #6
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,364

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    There is no way on this Earth we ever sign Strasburg to what he's asking for. And that's not a criticism of this ownership. I would never offer a kid who is a HUGE unknown that much money.

    If you're up in arms about Volquez and his arm blowing up, Strasburg getting inked to a huge deal then blowing his arm out in the first year would REALLY cripple our franchise.

  8. #7
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,915

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Bryce Harper!!
    Most Vottomatic Player

  9. #8
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,364

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    I can't wait until Pujols is 35 with a bad back and declining power so we can see him in a Reds uniform, also. We have a thing for Cards past their prime... Jocketty, Rolen... can't wait to keep it going

  10. #9
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,172

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    We said the same thing about Bob Boone's tenure ending as well. How much better did things get when he was gone?

    I think this organizations problems are much bigger than any individual manager, and I'm not sure that another change after this year would do any good. I'm not sure another change is a true "silver lining" - it may be more of another cloud.
    I've heard this line of thinking before. Both with Walt and Dusty. The other side of the coin is, how long do you put up with a bad fit (and I believe that both Walt & Dusty are bad fits with a rebuilding club) if it's not working just so you aren't making too many changes?

    If something isn't working, and doesn't look like it's going to be working don't you have to make a move?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  11. #10
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,681

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    The Reds are paying Dusty 3.5 million dollars a season to manage this train wreck. I can't see a cost conscious team eating that kind of cake. If the Reds struggle next season we may see Dusty replaced but not until than.

    Silver lining for me this season is the performance of Daniel Ray Herrara. Kid has been great all year.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    they keep losing, how in the world the owners of the Reds going to convince us they can win with dusty next year?? he isnt a motivator

  13. #12
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I've heard this line of thinking before. Both with Walt and Dusty. The other side of the coin is, how long do you put up with a bad fit (and I believe that both Walt & Dusty are bad fits with a rebuilding club) if it's not working just so you aren't making too many changes?

    If something isn't working, and doesn't look like it's going to be working don't you have to make a move?
    I think Jocketty is a fine fit for a rebuilding process. He did a great job rebuilding the Cardinals, who had gone 53-61 the year before he got there, and 62-81 in his first year. They went to the Playoffs his second year, but then fell on hard times the next three years, going 231-254, before bouncing back with winning seasons 8 of the next 9 years (9 of 10 counting this year).

    The fact that the Cards were successful under him for so long, should not count against his "rebuilding" skills.

    No argument on Dusty.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  14. #13
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I think Jocketty is a fine fit for a rebuilding process. He did a great job rebuilding the Cardinals, who had gone 53-61 the year before he got there, and 62-81 in his first year. They went to the Playoffs his second year, but then fell on hard times the next three years, going 231-254, before bouncing back with winning seasons 8 of the next 9 years (9 of 10 counting this year).

    The fact that the Cards were successful under him for so long, should not count against his "rebuilding" skills.

    No argument on Dusty.
    What happened last week was the opposite of rebuilding. He's trying to save his job by winning next year, but he isn't even close to a winning team.

  15. #14
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    If the Reds continue on this horrible pace, is there a chance that Dusty Bottoms gets the big pink slip at the end of the season?

    To me, that could be the only silver lining to this mess of a season.

    P.S.
    I am not blaming this entire season on Dusty, I just never liked him, and would like to see a change made.
    I mentioned earlier that this might be part of Jocketty's large, D. Evil plan. Give Dusty the team that he wants, let it fail, then force Dusty to either change his ways or leave.

    I still stand by my original opinion of Dusty. He's actually a very good manager, very smart and very skilled. But absolutely the wrong guy for the team at the time he was hired.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  16. #15
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,582

    Re: Possible Silver Lining????

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The Reds are paying Dusty 3.5 million dollars a season to manage this train wreck. I can't see a cost conscious team eating that kind of cake. If the Reds struggle next season we may see Dusty replaced but not until than.

    Silver lining for me this season is the performance of Daniel Ray Herrara. Kid has been great all year.
    It's said when our excitement is wrapped up in a middle reliever.


    Ryan Hanigan
    Joey Votto
    Masset
    Rhodes
    Weathers
    Cordero
    to an extent Phillips (gets dinged for cabeza lapses)
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25