Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Josh Fellhauer fan club?

Josh Fellhauer fan club?

I'll admit I like this kid probably way too much, but given the stats he's putting up in Dayton and the scouting reports I am getting pretty high on this kid.

The scouting reports I have seen state these things
    Above average CF to maybe plus. I'm not sure which one I believe. Ive also heard he has range problems so I don't know
    Strong arm
    Average speed
    Shouldn't strike out a lot
    Not much of a stolen base threat, but a smart base runner.

Hes showing more power right now that I think scouts probably would have been predicting so far. He's currently hitting a home run per 24 ABs.

Over all remember 120 ABs isnt some amazing sample size but still he currently has a 6.3% BB rate, a 14.2% k rate .235 ISOP. and a 13% LD rate. All are pretty solid numbers all thing considered and nothing is completely out of whack just from where I'm sitting.

Anyways I just think I should start up a conversation about the guy I have my eye on more than others from the 2009 draft.

Anyone else feeling the same about him? Or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Fellhauer fan club?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I'll admit I like this kid probably way too much, but given the stats he's putting up in Dayton and the scouting reports I am getting pretty high on this kid.

The scouting reports I have seen state these things
    Above average CF to maybe plus. I'm not sure which one I believe. Ive also heard he has range problems so I don't know
    Strong arm
    Average speed
    Shouldn't strike out a lot
    Not much of a stolen base threat, but a smart base runner.

Hes showing more power right now that I think scouts probably would have been predicting so far. He's currently hitting a home run per 24 ABs.

Over all remember 120 ABs isnt some amazing sample size but still he currently has a 6.3% BB rate, a 14.2% k rate .235 ISOP. and a 13% LD rate. All are pretty solid numbers all thing considered and nothing is completely out of whack just from where I'm sitting.

Anyways I just think I should start up a conversation about the guy I have my eye on more than others from the 2009 draft.

Anyone else feeling the same about him? Or not.
    I'd like to know a little more about his range. He doesn't really seem to have enough power for a corner, so he needs to have the range for CF to be an every day player. Without it, I think of a guy like Jim Eisenriech (without the chronic condition) as a comparison for his best case scenario. Pretty good player, who could hit, but with only occassional pop, who worked in various roles but was never really the man at any particular position.

He has a long way to go before we can really get a read on him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Ben (Miamisburg, OH)

Josh Fellhauer has been very impressive since being drafted back in June showing power, speed, and good OF defense as well. Was he a gem in from the 7th rd, and is his apparent power for real despite a slight 5'11" 175 lb frame?

Jim Callis (2:14 PM)

That was a great value in the seventh round. (I'm a little biased, because I also took him in my annual pretend draft for BA.). I wouldn't read a lot into his stats, because I'd expect a Cal State Fullerton player to tear up low Class A, but he's a legit prospect. More of a gap-power guy than a true home run threat.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27701
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Double power in GABP is 40 bombs.

Fellhauer right now looks like the best position player prospect on the Dayton club. A few observations:

No way is he 5'11" as listed. Probably more like 5'9". Maybe 170 lbs...Has surprised with six homers already, matching his total with the aluminum bat in college...Average speed, which would make him the fastest or second fastest player currently on the Dayton team (Puckett has similar speed; Means, who is considerably faster, is on the DL)...Good outfielder, but has mis-read some balls in center and taken some bad angles. But overall, plays a good center field. Does not have the range of Sappelt, but has a much better arm...Good, smart approach at the plate...Very polished player...Quiet but friendly kid, good character guy...Much better player and prospect than Sappelt in my opinion, although Sappelt is the better athlete...Has had many clutch hits (several of his home runs have been tie-breaking or game-tying including one that came with two outs in the ninth inning) and seems to play a notch better when the game is on the line.

The comment Callis made about expecting a Cal State-Fullerton player to tear up Low Class A doesn't sound too smart. He might have meant that a player who hit .396 playing the schedule that CSF played has a pretty good chance to play well in Low-A. It is somewhat amazing that Baseball America gets the credibility they do because they do not attend games and I would bet that their source on Fellhauer has seen him play no more than five games this season if that many.
    Last edited by redsof72; 08-09-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Turn Off Ads?