Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padres have a famous "new" TV announcer.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Padres have a famous "new" TV announcer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ym...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Enberg excited to announce Padres games

Sportscaster in Arizona to prep for job with hometown team

By Corey Brock / MLB.com
    New Padres broadcaster Dick Enberg has been in Peoria, Ariz., for the past six days, talking to players, manager Bud Black and general manager Jed Hoyer and, generally, watching these early workouts in preparation for his first season calling games on Channel 4 in San Diego. The 75-year-old Enberg, who makes his home in Rancho Santa Fe, north of San Diego, took a few minutes to answer questions from MLB.com.

Why was it important to come out here to Peoria this week and how did you spend your time?
    It's been enormously productive. Part of it is just being in the environment, around the lexicon of the game, the strategy of the game and just talking baseball. Because baseball is so intimate, I have had the opportunity to talk with a lot of people. I had dinner with manager Bud Black and then with general manager Jed Hoyer. And just being able to go up to a player or a coach and they'll give you time has been helpful. I've tried to keep as much contact as possible and keep my ears open.

I have seen you outside watching workouts on the field, watching pitchers throw off the mound and watching hitters in the cage. It seems you're really getting a kick out of this experience.

Last night my wife called and we're talking and she said, "I can tell it in your voice, you are really happy." For me, it's really been the right call at the right time. The other day I was watching Dave Roberts [former player, now special assistant to baseball operations] school some of the young guys on stealing bases. He's talking about taking a lead, how not to get caught by the left-hander's move. These are all the things I love about baseball. It's a perfect time to be here. You can talk to so many people here without the pressure of a game later in the day.

This won't be your first time being a play-by-play broadcaster for a Major League baseball team. Tell me about your experience calling California Angels games (1969-1978 and again in 1985)

I resisted it initially, even though it's my favorite sport and my favorite game. But at the time, I was doing the pre- and postgame show on the Angels telecasts, which allowed me to do some little essays and interviews. I had a half-hour show and it was only me. I was doing the Rams radio, I was the UCLA television broadcaster, I was doing boxing from the Olympic Auditorium and the sports on the newscast in the evenings. I had a wonderful, full plate. They told me that if I took baseball, I would have to give up these other things. I said how about if I do it one year? I tried to quit my first year. The Angels were terrible. Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed.

You started working with Don Drysdale in 1973, doing the Angels games. What was that experience like?

When Don Drysdale became my partner ... life became brilliant. It didn't matter if you were winning or losing. With Drysdale, the broadcasts were fun. Being with Don ... he wouldn't let you get down. I would take the losses too seriously and he would say, "C'mon professor" -- he would always call me professor -- "they don't care, so you shouldn't care. I'll buy you a drink." I've been fortunate to have so many great colleagues. With baseball, you're with that man more than in any other sport. He was always happy. It was a shame he went too quickly.

You didn't arrive at the decision to accept this job calling games for the Padres easily, did you?

There were a lot of brain cells burned trying to think this through. I have an ESPN deal where I do three of the [tennis] majors -- the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the French -- and also the NFL package on CBS. I had shaped my life perfectly. There had been a few flirtations about baseball in the past. But how could I greedily keep doing the things I had been doing and do baseball? I learned in 1985, when Gene Autry hired me back to do 40 games, that baseball is a day-to-day-to-day games. You can't just do a game here and a game there and miss two weeks.

With that in mind, how did you reach an agreement for a schedule that would allow for 120 or so Padres games while still doing the Australian Open and Wimbledon?

After the initial discussions, their original thought was they would structure a schedule where I did the games within the division and home games. That was a wonderful concession on their part. We gave it a lot of thought and said if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it. We came back and said, 'What if we do all the games, except the US Open?" I felt like if I'm going to be the announcer, I want to be the announcer.

What are some of the things you're looking to most this season?

Had the Yankees, Red Sox or any other club called and offered me the same opportunity, I would have said, "No, thanks." To be one of the baseball announcers in your hometown is important and it played a major part of this decision. When you think about the impact a baseball announcer has in his hometown, how many hours he's on the air, it's like 600 hours maybe, where you are exposed to your community -- you're an ambassador to your community. I really relish the opportunity to play that role. I look forward to a perfectly executed double play. There's a rhythm and artistry about a double play that's a beautiful thing. It's four seconds and two outs, but it's so much more than that. My creative juices are flowing. I was kidding with Bud Black and said, "Hey, look what I did for John Wooden." [Enberg called eight of the Bruins' NCAA championship seasons].
    Plus, there's a TV interview with Enberg at http://www.4sd.com/pages/postgame
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Padres have a famous "new" TV announcer.

Enberg is one of my favorite announcers of all time. I loved the old show, "Sports Challenge." He definitely brings excitement to games like few can.

Very enjoyable to listen to when calling the action. I hope to catch some of their games this season just to hear him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He does an underrated job as NCAA basketball on CBS as well.

Doesn't sound like he's doing that.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Good news. I've always liked Dick Enberg.
    School's out. What did you expect?

enberg is 75. I guess old sportscasters never sign off, they just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    He does an underrated job as NCAA basketball on CBS as well.

Doesn't sound like he's doing that.
    I think NCAA basketball is one of the things he is giving up to join the Padres though he was still working a basketball game for CBS last weekend.

"Oh My!"

The first announcer on the IU radio network.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I always enjoyed his Angels broadcasts in the late 70's...and him and Merlin Olsen were a pretty good team for NBC Football.

Dick Enberg is one of my favorite sportscasters of all time. I wish him nothing but the best.

Dick Enberg is painful to listen to anymore with the exception of Tennis. I think both NCAA basketball and NFL just move to fast for Enberg and I get really disappointed when I listen to the stale Enberg do their games.

That said there are a lot worse things to do than to live in SD, go to the ball park every day and call a game. Then again it is the Padres. Wonder if the Padres will try to trade Enberg to a contender by the trade deadline.

Another Dick Enberg fan here. My first memories of him are of "Dick Enberg and Billy Packer" on NBC college basketball.

I always liked Drysdale, too, although I was too young to see him play. That dude was a good fit for 60s and early 70s Hollywood, appearance on The Brady Bunch and all.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I read about this a while back. Enberg's one of my all time favorite PBP announcers. No,he's not as good as he used to be. But who is at 75? At 75 he's better than most who are much younger. He was part of the best three man booth ever assembled, IMO,when he teamed with Al McGuire and Billy Packer back in the late 70's to early 80's for college basketball.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Love Enberg. Knowledgeable, competent plus he just seems nice. Yes, he's lost a step or two at his age, but that voice takes me back to my childhood and I still enjoy hearing him call a game.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Good article about Enberg...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/sp.../08enberg.html

And welcome to Petco Park. Hello, along with Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, I’m Dick Enberg.”

And with that, Enberg, in his familiar paternal, eternally enthusiastic voice — the one that would lend an air of legitimacy and excitement to cockroach races — begins a nearly three-hour journey, with Gwynn riding shotgun and the Florida Marlins’ 6-4 victory over the San Diego Padres as their vehicle.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?