Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Rolen trade reactions

High five!

Post Rolen trade reactions

Interesting stuff from MLBTR:

ESPN.com's Buster Olney shows that the economic downturn has widened the gap between rich teams and poor ones after a decade of relative parity. As he shows, seven of the eight teams with the biggest payrolls would make the playoffs if they began today. The Mets have the game's second-biggest payroll, but wouldn't make it. Here are a few others notes from Olney's blog:

• We could start hearing about waiver claims today, since teams have stared putting players on waivers.
    • The Reds' acquisition of Scott Rolen is "without question the most widely panned pre-deadline trade within the industry."
    • The Reds gave up Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart, a pair of highly-regarded young arms.
    • One talent evaluator believes the Jays will release Edwin Encarnacion after the season. Even if the third baseman's $4.75MM salary is too much for the Jays, they'd presumably try to trade him first.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Post Rolen trade reactions

One talent evaluator believes the Jays will release Edwin Encarnacion after the season. Even if the third baseman's $4.75MM salary is too much for the Jays, they'd presumably try to trade him first.
    Scary when you consider that many thought Edwin would be THE RH bat in the Reds lineup this season.

Sounds like Edwin was essentially a throw-in to the deal if they really plan on releasing him.

EdE won't be released, IMO.
    2015, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Sounds like Edwin was essentially a throw-in to the deal if they really plan on releasing him.
    He was included because the Reds wanted too... the Jays didn't want him. He offsets the salary to Rolen, his inclusion meant nothing else since the Reds had nowhere to play him.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    EdE won't be released, IMO.
    I can't see it either. They'll trade him this winter.

trade him? who would want him? He cant play third, hes never played the outfield and hes hitting .209 the best part of the trade with the jays was getting rid of EE.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    trade him? who would want him? He cant play third, hes never played the outfield and hes hitting .209 the best part of the trade with the jays was getting rid of EE.

Perhaps the Jays aren't as reluctant as the Reds are to ask someone to switch positions. Plus they have been a very Dominican friendly franchise so perhaps they value EE a little more than the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps the Jays aren't as reluctant as the Reds are to ask someone to switch positions. Plus they have been a very Dominican friendly franchise so perhaps they value EE a little more than the Reds.
    The Reds have numerous Dominicans on their current roster (even after trading EE); I always thought the Reds had become somewhat Dominican friendly themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He was included because the Reds wanted too... the Jays didn't want him. He offsets the salary to Rolen, his inclusion meant nothing else since the Reds had nowhere to play him.
    I've said alll along the trade was Stewart for Rolen.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've said alll along the trade was Stewart for Rolen.
    Which is still not a very good trade, especially once you factor in the Prospect Bubble.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    The Reds have numerous Dominicans on their current roster (even after trading EE); I always thought the Reds had become somewhat Dominican friendly themselves.

I'm talking historically. They were the first team to really go with a lot of Dominicans in their organization and to have a presence there. No knock on the Reds but it could be that the Jays will be a better fit for EE.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Which is still not a very good trade, especially once you factor in the Prospect Bubble.
    Maybe not, but I think it's important to see that we got two things we wanted: to get Rolen and be rid of EE.

Maybe I'm biased but I don't see what warrants panning for the deal. Well okay, we probably did give up too much for a team going nowhere, but my point is that Rolen is having a good season and is someone widely recognized as a good talent. It's not exactly like when the going nowhere Pirates went out and traded for below average and overpriced Matt Morris two years ago.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Maybe I'm biased but I don't see what warrants panning for the deal. Well okay, we probably did give up too much for a team going nowhere, but my point is that Rolen is having a good season and is someone widely recognized as a good talent. It's not exactly like when the going nowhere Pirates went out and traded for below average and overpriced Matt Morris two years ago.
    Actually, that might be the trade I would compare it most to. Sure, Morris and Rolen are different players, but their ages and injury histories are comparable. IMO, the Reds--at 45-60--have no place trading for a 35 year-old 3B who is on the downside of his career and then committing the lion's share of their budget wriggle room to said player. At least, they have no business doing that if they actually want to contend any time soon.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?