Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Post Rolen trade reactions

Re: Post Rolen trade reactionshttp://www.redszone.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Fangraphs says statistically his production in '08 was worth $9.5 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...51&position=3B...bottom of the page.

Much better value than Rolen (who they pegged at $13 million this year), especially given you're unlikely to see a repeat at the plate from the 34 year old.
    What was his production worth this year? Can you be worth negative money?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Post Rolen trade reactionshttp://www.redszone.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Fangraphs says statistically his production in '08 was worth $9.5 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...51&position=3B...bottom of the page.

Much better value than Rolen (who they pegged at $13 million this year), especially given you're unlikely to see a repeat at the plate from the 34 year old.
    This is where stats don't tell the whole story.

I have argued that because of his defense EE really is just a backup player. His offense is not strong enough to justify his horrible defense. He's a around a -15 UZR/150 and the fielding bible has him the same or worse.

A team just can't have an infielder that bad playing everyday. It hurts the pitching staff, deflates moral, and makes the team look like the bad news bears.

You can't move him to LF or 1B, because he doesn't hit well enough to justify that move, even if he could field well there. It's not like he's Ryan Braun.

So basically, EE is a very solid RH bat off the bench, at most a half a win player. Like I said before, and what has been echoed on MLBTR's, EE most likely will be non-tendered after the 2010 season, and the Reds can pick him up for around league minimum if they want to.

So basically
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    This is where stats don't tell the whole story.

I have argued that because of his defense EE really is just a backup player. His offense is not strong enough to justify his horrible defense. He's a around a -15 UZR/150 and the fielding bible has him the same or worse.

A team just can't have an infielder that bad playing everyday. It hurts the pitching staff, deflates moral, and makes the team look like the bad news bears.

You can't move him to LF or 1B, because he doesn't hit well enough to justify that move, even if he could field well there. It's not like he's Ryan Braun.

So basically, EE is a very solid RH bat off the bench, at most a half a win player. Like I said before, and what has been echoed on MLBTR's, EE most likely will be non-tendered after the 2010 season, and the Reds can pick him up for around league minimum if they want to.

So basically

Agree. I think Rolen is a huge upgrade in terms of the confidence a team has in its infield. Offensively, I would also argue that EE was so inconsistent that his overall numbers didn't adequately tell the story. And yes, I have repeatedly given specifics on this, it is true, he was extremely inconsistent and prone to long slumps.

In terms of overall defense, a team with Phillips and Rolen in the infield with a good or better shortstop (to be determined), with the excellent Jay Bruce defending RF, and the combo of Taveras, Dickerson, Stubbs in center, and with Hanigan's arm behind the plate, is a pretty fair defensive club. Rolen is a huge part of that. It never made sense to me that the Reds were relying on EE in a pitching/defense regime.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the "run share" analysis, and I didn't like giving up Stewart, but Rolen brings a great deal to this ballclub. Hopefully he can stay healthy for a couple of years and the Reds build on this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-06-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Re: Post Rolen trade reactions

Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports hears that Reds will pay Scott Rolen $11MM next year without help from the Blue Jays.
    Wow, what a deal if true!

I could envision a situation where the Reds act like the Jays are picking up most of Rolen's salary so that they can tell other teams they don't have to move Harang/Arroyo, when in reality it's just a bargaining position. Why else would no one be at liberty to divulge how much of the tab the Jays are actually picking up?
    Go BLUE!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think people (on both sides) are making assumptions about when the Reds are going to use the cash the Jays are sending. I don't know, but since they supposedly had room to make a move if they were in contention, it's possible they're going to just eat the difference this year and apply the cash towards next year's payroll. Who knows.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Who is Jon Paul Morosi and who is he hearing from?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Who is Jon Paul Morosi?
    Ken Rosenthal's colleague/partner at FOXSports. Together, they are two of the best scoop reporters in all of baseball.
    Go BLUE!!!

I guess it has to be true then. Just love those "scoopers."

I guess it has to be true then. Just love those "scoopers."
    No one said it is gospel.

I said
    "what a deal if true!"
    There is a lot of inaccurate information circulating out there, especially this time of year. I was just noting one report that came from a respected source. And I was also noting that it is at least plausible considering the circumstances.
    Go BLUE!!!

Doesn't hurt to wish.

Doesn't hurt to wish.
    Huh?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Again, this is the model Jocketty used in STL, and it worked. However, the Cardinals drew anywhere from 2.8 to 3.5 million fans from 1998 through his last year as GM.

Someone wake me when the Reds do that.
    Then wake me up when they hit the lottery in the last rounds of the draft and find a Pujols. The Jocketty era in St Louis looks a whole lot different without that minor miracle.

As for this trade I still don't like it. They took on some amount of money and gave up prospects for the privilege. Taking on more risk for less reward is never good business.

Great article on the Rolen trade...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/C...he-face-092310

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Great article on the Rolen trade...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/C...he-face-092310
    I like this thread because I was right for once.

I also like it because it shows how bad people overvalue their "own" prospects.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I also like it because it shows how bad people overvalue their "own" prospects.
    I like it because it also shows how much people undervalue baseball acumen.

Turn Off Ads?