Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dusty: "We're close"

Re: Dusty: "We're close"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Seriously though, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but there's a lot of Dusty threads going right now. I really question whether we needed yet another one today to make fun of him in.
    It was his most recent comment from last night's game. Waiting for a 24 hour "grace period" to post it here seemed a little silly. It's no longer current at that point. Besides, if we limit every topic to one thread per day, this board will slow to a crawl.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    6 or 7 threads out of what, 30 or more on the front page? That's not all that many in my opinion. And he's the current manager of a terrible team. Fans are going to talk about him. A lot. It's the nature of being fans.
    Thanks for posting this Dusty quote, BRM.

We need as much comic relief as possible these days.

Please start more Dusty threads if--WHEN--he says something similarly asinine in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Thanks for posting this Dusty quote, BRM.

We need as much comic relief as possible these days.

Please start more Dusty threads if--WHEN--he says something similarly asinine in the future.
    Only if they can be separated by a 24 hour grace period.

6 or 7 threads out of what, 30 or more on the front page? That's not all that many in my opinion. And he's the current manager of a terrible team. Fans are going to talk about him. A lot. It's the nature of being fans.
    But how many is needed to make fun of him or talk about wanting him fired. Does it take 20% of active threads to do that in? I would think that could be contained within a couple. That's all I'm saying.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Please people, quit talking about the Reds on a forum dedicated to talking about the Reds!

I enjoyed it. I guess my limit was one make-fun-of-Dusty thread in a 24-hour period

Seriously though, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but there's a lot of Dusty threads going right now. I really question whether we needed yet another one today to make fun of him in.
    Here's your badge:

It was his most recent comment from last night's game. Waiting for a 24 hour "grace period" to post it here seemed a little silly. It's no longer current at that point. Besides, if we limit every topic to one thread per day, this board will slow to a crawl.
    I'm not saying limit it to one, but for crying out loud, there's seven topics on him right now.

Usually with most subjects, moderators merge threads into a couple when you get more than 2-3 going at a time. I'm not criticizing moderators, but I just wonder why not apply that logic to this.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Only if they can be separated by a 24 hour grace period.

Luckily, thread police only have as much power as you give them.

Brutus, serious question. Are you hoping that if it is "contained" the stink of this debacle and the general discontent with Walt will be less obvious? What's the point of the complaining?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Here's your badge:
    There's no need for that. It was a simple comment. No need for the sarcastic reply.

There's no need for that. It was a simple comment. No need for the sarcastic reply.
    Lighten up a little bit. He's not breaking any board rules by starting this thread so why do you care? You wouldn't like someone telling you what or what not to post, I'm guessing.

Just ignore the thread if it bothers you that much. This thread's title should've clued you in pretty conclusively as to the subject being discussed within. If you're sick of Dusty talk, why click on a Dusty thread? To tell everyone else that THEY should be tired of talking about Dusty as well?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Sutton has had 23 ABs with the Reds. If Dusty's making decisions based on what he's done after that..

Oh hell, fill in your own blanks!
    The Reds have seen Sutton play in AAA. They probably have a good idea of what he can do. There's no need to give every AAA guy that wanders on to the roster 400 ABs to prove he's a flop.

Sutton is just filler until the roster improves. No real point in trying to develop him, he's just not that good. If he was a legitimate prospect, then yes, give him a shot. But he's just garbage that might not even be in the organization next year beyond emergency depth.. kind of like the annual rite of signing Ricky Stone that the Reds used to do.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"We're close...to making WMR take up interpretative dance as a new hobby"

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Brutus, serious question. Are you hoping that if it is "contained" the stink of this debacle and the general discontent with Walt will be less obvious? What's the point of the complaining?
    For me, the point is, while I think everyone here realizes this team is bad right now, not everyone enjoys going to a forum overrun by talking about the incompetence of a manager. I'm NOT saying people should not be able to talk about it. So to those doing the strawman arguments, let's eliminate that perception right now.

What I am saying is that this is supposed to be a place for enjoyable discussion about the Reds. Not saying it's positive discussion, but enjoyable. For some, it might not be so enjoyable having to navigate through several threads all discussing the same topic about one person. There's already no shortage of threads complaining and making fun of Dusty Baker. Why do we need to have several going at the same time? I would think there's always 2-3 going, so that would be plenty of ample space to speak our minds about. I'm not putting any kind of limit or cap on a discussion, but my common sense tells me 7 of 30 on one subject is a bit overkill.

That's just my opinion. Anyone is free to disagree with it. There's no need for sarcasm or criticizing, though. I was asking an honest question. I don't feel the 'thread police' comments are necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The Reds have seen Sutton play in AAA. They probably have a good idea of what he can do. There's no need to give every AAA guy that wanders on to the roster 400 ABs to prove he's a flop.

Sutton is just filler until the roster improves. No real point in trying to develop him, he's just not that good. If he was a legitimate prospect, then yes, give him a shot. But he's just garbage that might not even be in the organization next year beyond emergency depth.. kind of like the annual rite of signing Ricky Stone that the Reds used to do.
    It's not really about developing Drew Sutton. It's about who has the best chance to get a hit or reach base in that situation. Given who Dusty had available, the answer was probably "no one". However, I think Sutton had a marginally better chance to produce in that spot than did Willy T. But honestly, it probably just didn't matter. Neither one of them had much chance anyway.

Turn Off Ads?