Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I expect one or more of Harang, Arroyo or Cordero to be traded this month

Re: I expect one or more of Harang, Arroyo or Cordero to be traded this month

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They could but then they don't get anything back in return except salary relief. Even the Bucs aren't doing straight salary dumps. I would think that the Yankees would think twice about picking up either Arroyo or Harang since they play half their games in a park that makes GABP look like Petco.
    Obviously just allowing the waivers claim is one option (seems to me the Yankees got stuck with a big ticket salary some years ago just that way). Usually the two clubs then work out a deal for the players. Or we can just pull him back, but I don't think that's likely. If any of these players can be moved, I think they'll move at least one, as your supposition states.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

First, big bombshell from Fay today. Jocketty on why Frazier's been playing 2B lately:

“The reason we moved Frazier – we probably should have done it earlier – was with (Juan) Francisco at third and (Zack) Cozart at shortstop, we wanted to see if (Frazier) could play second. We know he can play the outfield, third and short.

“It wasn’t done with idea of moving Brandon. That doesn’t mean that won’t happen. But it’s never been discussed.”
    That's a large step farther than anyone in the Reds organization has made toward moving Phillips to SS, ever. There has been a consistent denial that that would ever happen.

I know it's not much, but it shows me that Jocketty is open to the idea.

IMHO, I think that one of Krivsky's biggest goofs was signing Agon instead of a 2B and moving Phillips to SS. Phillips had not established himself as a 2B yet, and there was even talk before Lopez was traded that they would flip positions.

It really made no sense, since SS are always harder to find than 2B. I have no idea who was available that year to play 2B, but a league average 2B and Phillips at SS would have been better and cheaper than Gonzo at SS and Phillips at 2B.

It might be too late, but I am glad to see that Jocketty is at least open to the idea of Phillips playing SS.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    No Volquez

Owings hurt

Stewart given away

If you trade Arroyo, Harang, or Cordero (or two of three) you are not playing for 2010.

Wasn't 2010 why they overpaid for Scott Rolen?
    Stop using all that fancy logic!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not necessarily. My guess is that they wanted to bring in talent.
    Even so, that's talent they control for a single season, and that single season (2010) is shaping up to be a disastrous one. If they're counting on Rolen for more than one season, as I fear they've already indicated, then the plan is even more delusional than I suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    It might be too late, but I am glad to see that Jocketty is at least open to the idea of Phillips playing SS.
    So, this many years into his tenure with the organization, all it took was a question from a reporter for Walt to consider Phillips at SS for the first time? He's definitely an innovative thinker! I'm just teasing, but with our dreadful options at SS dating back to Krivsky's signing of AGon, I've always been shocked that this move wasn't enacted earlier. We had no true MLB SS on the roster this year, or last, and we still never experimented with moving BP and acquiring 2B help elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    So, this many years into his tenure with the organization, all it took was a question from a reporter for Walt to consider Phillips at SS for the first time? He's definitely an innovative thinker! I'm just teasing, but with our dreadful options at SS dating back to Krivsky's signing of AGon, I've always been shocked that this move wasn't enacted earlier. We had no true MLB SS on the roster this year, or last, and we still never experimented with moving BP and acquiring 2B help elsewhere.
    I think they were going to do it at the end of the season 2 years ago. He may have played one game there and then they put the kibosh on the idea.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Rolen wasn't acquired to just get a good clubhouse guy/ veteran for the team, he was aquired knowing we needed an upgrade at 3rd base for 2010 and it allows us to ignore that spot in the offseason. Now the goal in August is to be able to trade either Harang/Arroyo,Weathers,Gomes, or Nix to free up payroll flexability come the FA period. It wont net us blue-chip prospects, but we need to be able to shop!!! As I see it were looking at:

Needs:
    1)SS-we must nab a veteran here ala Scutero/Everett
    ---or move BP and acquire a 2b

2)LF-obvious here but it must come through trade or FA

3)SP-we need to aquire a #3/4 type starter say Marquis to shore up the corps and let Wood battle Owings for the 5th spot.

These can be done but w/o moving 1 of the above pitcher's than its a mute point.

Maybe they don't mean "moving" as in moving to short, but "moving" as in moving to another team.

Just food for thought.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Needs:
    1)SS-we must nab a veteran here ala Scutero/Everett
    ---or move BP and acquire a 2b
    I don't really get the fascination with either Scutaro or Everett. Scutaro's offensive display this year is probably a mirage and Everett is good-field-no-hit all the way. I suppose neither would be awful--but I would hope they would be last-resort type acquisitions and not prime targets. I'd much rather WJ exhaust the younger options out there (Yunel Escobar, Erick Aybar, Brandon Wood, et al.) before he turns to those guys.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Maybe they don't mean "moving" as in moving to short, but "moving" as in moving to another team.

Just food for thought.
    I thought that was the meaning when I first read it, as well, but was replying to 44's take on the matter. Hard to tell in that fragmented context, but it almost sounds like Jock is alluding to whether they've ever thought of trading Phillips.

There are likely too many holes to fill for 2010, regardless of whether we move a big contract or two through waivers. If all we receive from moving Harang and/or Arroyo is salary relief, then you still are left needing to replace those lost innings with an upgrade through trade or free agency. An SS, a LF, possibly a CF, and 2 mid-to-TOR SP arms in the offseason? I believe it's impossible, even moreso given the salary constraints, and with only CF possibly being solved from within.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I believe it's impossible, even moreso given the salary constraints, and with only CF possibly being solved from within.
    Realistically, I think they pretty much have to solve CF from within at this point--or at least give one of Stubbs/Heisey/Dickerson the chance to sink or swim before blowing any dough on the position. I also think that there are some palatable if not extraordinary options for LF already on the team (Gomes and the "loser" of the CF battle in ST). While I agree you can never have too much pitching, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a Harang-Cueto-Owings fronted rotation next spring, with the club giving a lot of lip service to Volquez's "imminent" August return in the press.

What even the Reds' FO doublespeakers can't deny now is that SS is the crying need now. I think Walt may have another move up his sleeve now that Rolen is the fold. Or, then again, he might just blow all of the extra money on Gary Matthews Jr., who will then occupy CF (and Dusty's lineup) with his veteran presence until further notice.
    Last edited by RedEye; 08-04-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

The average major league SS has an OPS of .710. You'd think the Reds could find someone that could get near that mark AND play good defense.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Is Brendan Harris available? Does he play good defense? Could we trade Bill Bray for him?

few months from now:

“The reason we moved Frazier – we probably should have done it earlier – was with (Juan) Francisco at third and (Zack) Cozart at shortstop and Valaika at second and Alonso at first and all of those teenagers in the OF, we wanted to see if (Frazier) could catch. We know he can play the outfield, third, short, second, first, manage, and relieve."
    2015, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Is Brendan Harris available? Does he play good defense? Could we trade Bill Bray for him?

Just watched Harris play 3b in Oakland a couple weeks ago. I doubt he can play short credibly.

Turn Off Ads?