Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Grade the trade

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I still absolutely love the trade and reds got the best of it!

19 25.33%
  • Its a wash.. who cares were terrible

38 50.67%
  • After tommyjon guy, rangers killed us

7 9.33%
  • Said it then and said it now. One of the Worst trades in franchise history

11 14.67%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grade the Volquez/Hamilton trade now

Grade the Volquez/Hamilton trade now

My opinion from the start has been this trade will eventually go down as one of the worst in franchise history.

and what do we need this year. A Big bat might have pushed this team over the edge.

Can anybody honestly tell me they dont like this lineup better than what was presented to us day in and day out this year.

1. Dickerson
    2. Brand phillips
    3. Joey Votto
    4. josh hamilton
    5. Scott rolen
    6. Jay bruce
    7. Gonzalez
    8. Hanigan

A. harang
    B. Arroyo
    J. Cueto
    H. Bailey
    M. Owings

I think with that lineup We are still competing in the NL central.

And with the addition of a legit leadoff man, and a good riddance to Gonzo contract. This team is looking stellar.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grade the Volquez/Hamilton trade now

hamilton is having a pretty injury ridden and bad season himself. id give it a wash maybe edge to us because danny ray herrera is kicking ass this season.

I can't see why anyone would change their opinion at this point.If you hated it you probably still do.Bruce has had a better season then Hamilton has and it seems to me that a lot of people think that Bruce has had a terrible season.Volquez and Hamilton has helped and hurt their teams equally depending on what year you want to talk about.

Hamilton certainly has a chance to preform well while Volquez is out and if he does the scale will tip in the Rangers favor.Until that happens I still say its a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfighter View Post
    hamilton is having a pretty injury ridden and bad season himself. id give it a wash maybe edge to us because danny ray herrera is kicking ass this season.
    herrera. Cmon that guy is journeyman.

he will never last to be much of anything on a playoff type team.

And a wash i dont think so. hamilton just returned not to long ago and is a bit of slump. he'll pull out before the end of the year and make an impact on the rangers playoff run.

The rangers were just as bad as us a couple years back.

now look at them. In the same division as the dodgers and still 14 games over .500.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Hamilton certainly has a chance to preform well while Volquez is out and if he does the scale will tip in the Rangers favor.Until that happens I still say its a wash.
    Haha holding on to that final Strand.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post

And a wash i dont think so. hamilton just returned not to long ago and is a bit of slump. he'll pull out before the end of the year and make an impact on the rangers playoff run.

now look at them. In the same division as the dodgers and still 14 games over .500.
    WHAT? You win man, I guess you know more about baseball then the rest of us. Heck I didn't even know the Rangers was in the NLWest
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 08-04-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Hamilton has been back for over a month and is hitting to the tune of a .533 OPS over that time. You can predict and predict but its not changing what is going on with him.

Rangers are in the NL west now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    WHAT?
    not dodgers. i mean angels. Point still stands. Angels being in the AL are probably better than the dodgers.

Josh hamilton is not the player he is displaying right now.

its called a slump.

Its pretty obvious from his previous two season stats.

hes been slumping for half a season apparently.

Haha holding on to that final Strand.
    I'm just saying that it should be considered that Volquez is out for a year and that it shouldn't be assumed that Hamilton will repeat 2008 in that time frame.

Now if the question was would I still make the trade then I'd say no.Only because we have replaced Hamilton with CP last year and Taveras this year and possibly next year as well.Volquez will be out a full year and in that time frame Hamilton could be great.Knowing these things you would be a fool not to want to have Hamilton going forward.Not knowing these things I'd still trade a young All-Star CF for a young All-Star pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I'm just saying that it should be considered that Volquez is out for a year and that it shouldn't be assumed that Hamilton will repeat 2008 in that time frame.

Now if the question was would I still make the trade then I'd say no.Only because we have replaced Hamilton with CP last year and Taveras this year and possibly next year as well.Volquez will be out a full year and in that time frame Hamilton could be great.Knowing these things you would be a fool not to want to have Hamilton going forward.Not knowing these things I'd still trade a young All-Star CF for a young All-Star pitcher.

The thread is based on us KNOWING these things.

So your saying you should have voted Post tommyjon knowledge teh rangers killed us>?

I completely agree with you and cant believe the rest of the people here are STILL saying the best thing for the team was to Do this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    hes been slumping for half a season apparently.
    58 games isnt half a season. More like a third.

58 games isnt half a season. More like a third.
    true....lets re-visit this at the end of the year....but do you agree that if he is STILL in this slump, you will call it a wash?

I agree that this trade looks a little bleak right now but I would have to go back and see if you were still posting these same threads last year when Edinson was mowing down hitters at an absurd rate......IMO, it was a wash last year and its a wash this year.....Josh Hamilton has a lot of flaws in his game. I dont think his game would be putting us over the top this year at all..

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

If people don't understand why it was important for the Reds to start collecting good, young arms, there's no help for them in this poll. Regardless of what may happen, it was the RIGHT thing to do.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?