Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Stewart is a Top Ten Pitching Prospect ?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in all of Baseball

11 10.28%
  • Yes, for the Reds only

85 79.44%
  • None of the Above

11 10.28%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Stewart; Top 10 Pitching Prospect in all of baseball?

Poll: Stewart; Top 10 Pitching Prospect in all of baseball?

Just checking what the consensus is for RedsZone.

I have read a lot of opinions, but not everybody posts in every thread.

Obviously the second choice, is a WAS, not IS, since he no longer is in the Reds Organization.

Thanks!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Last edited by BLEEDS; 08-05-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Poll: Stewart; Top 10 Pitching Prospect in all of baseball?

He isn't one of the 10 best in the minors, but to be that he would have to be a Top 25 overall prospect. He is one of the 20 best in my mind though.

I voted top 10 in Reds system but then did a little research.One web site that claims to update daily had at least 10 Reds minor league farm hands in their top 400 with Stewart not making the list.Another ranked the top 150 and had 6 Reds prospects included and still no Stewart.I was looking for Stewart to show up as a Red and Tor. player just to be sure I didn't miss him.I've only been getting into following prospect recently so I couldn't say how reputable these sites are but I have herd both the site mentioned somewhere so take that for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I voted top 10 in Reds system but then did a little research.One web site that claims to update daily had at least 10 Reds minor league farm hands in their top 400 with Stewart not making the list.Another ranked the top 150 and had 6 Reds prospects included and still no Stewart.I was looking for Stewart to show up as a Red and Tor. player just to be sure I didn't miss him.I've only been getting into following prospect recently so I couldn't say how reputable these sites are but I have herd both the site mentioned somewhere so take that for what its worth.
    If a site has a Top 400 and doesn't have Stewart in it, its worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If a site has a Top 400 and doesn't have Stewart in it, its worthless.
    I figured that this had to be the case.Any ideas where I could find a decent/up to date ranking of prospects?I found other sites but most of their ranking were done before the season started.To be honest I couldn't find Stewart on any list of top prospects.I'm sure this can't be right but would still like to see something that states otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I figured that this had to be the case.Any ideas where I could find a decent/up to date ranking of prospects?I found other sites but most of their ranking were done before the season started.To be honest I couldn't find Stewart on any list of top prospects.I'm sure this can't be right but would still like to see something that states otherwise.
    FirstInning.com had a midseason Top 100 list.
    ProjectProspect.com just updated its Top 25 (there was a little debate to include Stewart in the top 50).
    BaseballAmerica.com had a midseason top 25 with 25 honorable mentions that Stewart was on for a brief time, then later removed after a little more debate.

I went and looked at Clay Bucholtz's major league stats as a reference point. But what I found was pretty surprising. After his first year in the bigs, 3-1 with a no hitter, Bucholtz has actually been pretty poor. He may be one of the top pitchers in the minor leagues but his transition to the majors has been pretty forgettable.

I bring this up because Bucholtz has been considered on the best minor league arm in baseball. He has had a very tough time transitioning to MLB. What does that say, if anything, about Stewart? The guy has started a total of 14 games in his professional career and he is making a transition from RP in college to SP this season. Not only do you have to worry about his transition from RP to SP but also a transition from MiLB SP to MLB SP. There are some very serious questions to be asking about a young arm.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I went and looked at Clay Bucholtz's major league stats as a reference point. But what I found was pretty surprising. After his first year in the bigs, 3-1 with a no hitter, Bucholtz has actually been pretty poor. He may be one of the top pitchers in the minor leagues but his transition to the majors has been pretty forgettable.

I bring this up because Bucholtz has been considered on the best minor league arm in baseball. He has had a very tough time transitioning to MLB. What does that say, if anything, about Stewart? The guy has started a total of 14 games in his professional career and he is making a transition from RP in college to SP this season. Not only do you have to worry about his transition from RP to SP but also a transition from MiLB SP to MLB SP. There are some very serious questions to be asking about a young arm.
    It says nothing. Every guy is different. Some guys struggle and some guys don't. Soemtimes the best guys from the minors can't make it while the gu everyone forgot about does.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Same could be said of Bailey. These two might be some of the most hyped, biggest as to date, failed big name pitchers in the minors. Both Dominate AAA but just can't seem to put it all together at the ML level.

In all honesty, I can't say I'm educated on all the pitching prospects in all of baseball to make a call on the top ten. He's very good. I'll leave it at that.

All I know, which is very little, is that we upgraded a position. We won't ever find out how Stewart will be for us, only how good he can be for Toronto, or possibly someone else. It seems that we, like we always do, have overvalued yet another player. I'll wait for Stewart to prove us wrong. In the meantime, I'll struggle and watch the Reds continue to slide on down past mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He isn't one of the 10 best in the minors, but to be that he would have to be a Top 25 overall prospect. He is one of the 20 best in my mind though.
    Doug, after the trade you made the remark that I can't seem to shake. You said "Book it, he will win a Cy Young for Toronto". How can you make that statement with such authority yet not even have him in your top 10 minor league pitchers. Would you like to walk that statement back a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    All I know, which is very little, is that we upgraded a position. We won't ever find out how Stewart will be for us, only how good he can be for Toronto, or possibly someone else. It seems that we, like we always do, have overvalued yet another player. I'll wait for Stewart to prove us wrong. In the meantime, I'll struggle and watch the Reds continue to slide on down past mediocre.
    I agree, but the player the Reds over-valued was Scott Rolen not Zack Stewart. As suggested in another thread, I will add: IMO...

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Same could be said of Bailey. These two might be some of the most hyped, biggest as to date, failed big name pitchers in the minors. Both Dominate AAA but just can't seem to put it all together at the ML level.
    Yet.

I say that because they're not selling Lady Kenmores.

Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Doug, after the trade you made the remark that I can't seem to shake. You said "Book it, he will win a Cy Young for Toronto". How can you make that statement with such authority yet not even have him in your top 10 minor league pitchers. Would you like to walk that statement back a bit?
    Toronto will make him a better pitcher than we would have. They produce groundball machines up there and Stewart already was one. They seem to get the absolute most out of their pitching prospects up there. Maybe I went slightly overboard with the comment, I was fairly bothered by the deal, but he is going to be very good for Toronto if they keep him in the rotation in the long run.

The reason Stewart isn't a Top 10 guy is because he still has a ways to go in terms of building up a starters workload. If Stewart were currently able to maintain his stuff and numbers over 150 minor league innings, he would have been a Top 10 pitching prospect in the minors. But right now he is probably 2 seasons away from being able to throw 180 innings in a year, which tempers his overall ranking.

Turn Off Ads?