Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Stewart is a Top Ten Pitching Prospect ?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in all of Baseball

11 10.28%
  • Yes, for the Reds only

85 79.44%
  • None of the Above

11 10.28%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Stewart; Top 10 Pitching Prospect in all of baseball?

Re: Poll: Stewart; Top 10 Pitching Prospect in all of baseball?

this whole thread has stemmed from Bleeds not wanting to listen to me saying that Stewart was a top 10 pitching prospect in baseball. I told him top 10 is debatable but he is in the conversation. He wanted nothing to do with it and tried to quote everything in this thread to me already. He just doesn't want to listen. It's futile to try to get him to learn something from you.

He is going to resist calling Stewart a top 10 pitching prospect or anything of the sort because that would mean he would have to admit hes wrong. Now back to your regularly scheduled circle of arguments.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, but Devin Mesoraco wouldn't be on the same level as a lot of the guys traded. Zach Stewart is a borderline A- type prospect right now. Devin Mesoraco is more like a C+ type of guy right now. There is a huge difference. Stewart isn't the top prospect in baseball, but he is a Top 75 prospect in all of baseball.
    This was in response to you correlating "Top Prospects Traded at the Deadline" lists with "Top Prospects in All of Baseball".

I hardly see where that list would be the same.

I get the love for Stewart, I just don't think he's a Top 10 Pitching Prospect in ALL of Baseball.

I am convinced now that he was indeed, at the time of the trade, a Top 10 Reds Prospect, though I didn't believe so at the time.

Seems to be the general consensus here at RZ as well.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    this whole thread has stemmed from Bleeds not wanting to listen to me saying that Stewart was a top 10 pitching prospect in baseball. I told him top 10 is debatable but he is in the conversation. He wanted nothing to do with it and tried to quote everything in this thread to me already. He just doesn't want to listen. It's futile to try to get him to learn something from you.

He is going to resist calling Stewart a top 10 pitching prospect or anything of the sort because that would mean he would have to admit hes wrong. Now back to your regularly scheduled circle of arguments.
    Yes, it is ALL about you. Could you be more grandiose?

I know your opinion, no need to rehash it. Just because not everyone agrees with you is no reason to get all personal about it.

I wanted to get more of a consensus and opinions from others, and in RZ overall.

Now back to your regularly scheduled crotchetiness, GIDP. Seriously. Get over yourself.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Yes, it is ALL about you. Could you be more grandiose?

I know your opinion, no need to rehash it. Just because not everyone agrees with you is no reason to get all personal about it.

I wanted to get more of a consensus and opinions from others, and in RZ overall.

Now back to your regularly scheduled crotchetiness, GIDP. Seriously. Get over yourself.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Crotchetiness? Mean while you are still trying to find a way to wiggle out of what ever POV you have.

You had no idea what you were talking about. Let it go dude. Some times you just need to admit you really have no idea what you are talking about.

I've seen Stewart play and, while he could throw hard, he didn't exhibit nearly enough control to be an effective pitcher at the major league level. That mid 90's fastball is admittedly solid, but seriously wild. And AAA hitters simpy laid off his slider often enough so that I at least have questions whether he'll be more than a middle reliever at the big league level.

(Mind you, I'm not a scout and I've only seen him twice in relief, so the starter at AA thing perhaps skews my thinking.) I do think he has/ had value, as his numbers were very, very good. And I think he could develop into a good closer if he throws strikes and if those major league hitters he faces can't tell whether his slider is coming. As of now, I compare him to Ryan Wagner. Great stuff, questionable whether it translates to the majors.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

His minor league walk rate is very solid. C Trent saw Stewart pitch live (as did a few others on here) and they all said his slider was nasty.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

So was Wagner's. Better, in fact, than Stewart's. And in AAA, his BB rate was horrid. (Though in small inning.) He also had very poor control in college.

But hey, I could be wrong. Have been before. Will be again.

I DO think many who rail against the loss of Stewart think more of him than they should. (doug's Cy Young coment was particularly cringe-worthy.) But that's pretty typical when prospects get dealt.

Stewart has a good future ahead of him if he can throw strikes. If he can get hitters to chase that slider. If he can induce ground balls at the rate he has in the minors.

But the only way he'd be ready to help the Reds in 2010 would be as a reliever. And, as a reliever, he's struggled to throw strikes. I believe Jocketty knew he was losing something good, but he's not one to keep relievers who work themselves into jams too often.

(With the exception of David Weathers, obviously.)
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    So was Wagner's. Better, in fact, than Stewart's. And in AAA, his BB rate was horrid. (Though in small inning.) He also had very poor control in college.

But hey, I could be wrong. Have been before. Will be again.

I DO think many who rail against the loss of Stewart think more of him than they should. (doug's Cy Young coment was particularly cringe-worthy.) But that's pretty typical when prospects get dealt.

Stewart has a good future ahead of him if he can throw strikes. If he can get hitters to chase that slider. If he can induce ground balls at the rate he has in the minors.

But the only way he'd be ready to help the Reds in 2010 would be as a reliever. And, as a reliever, he's struggled to throw strikes. I believe Jocketty knew he was losing something good, but he's not one to keep relievers who work themselves into jams too often.

(With the exception of David Weathers, obviously.)
    Looks like you are wrong again! !

So far, all I've learned is that the same % of people who think he's a top 10 prospect in all of Baseball is equal to the same % of people who don't even think he was a top ten pitching prospect for the Reds - and that those two opposing extremist groupss think that the other group is totally insane.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I haven't read this whole thread but are there really people out there who didn't think Zach Stewart was one of the Reds top ten pitching prospects? If so, they must think the Reds have the best farm system in baseball by a wide margin.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread but are there really people out there who didn't think Zach Stewart was one of the Reds top ten pitching prospects? If so, they must think the Reds have the best farm system in baseball by a wide margin.
    And Homer Bailey was the best pitching prospect in all of baseball a few years back. He has struggled since he has been called up, at times showing glimpses of being a very good pitcher.

As for Stewart's slider, Homer has a pitch that was getting rave reviews in AAA. It was called a splitter. It was said to be nasty and an out pitch. That has yet to correlate at the major league level. So far it has been an ok pitch, but nothing amazing like it sounded like from AAA reports.

No one really knows how well Stewart will translate into becoming an AAA starter let alone a major league starter. We can moan and groan about all the potential or how he was the best starter in the Reds organization. I will trust the front office and scouts to make the decision about how well he projects to being a major league pitcher.

I haven't read this whole thread but are there really people out there who didn't think Zach Stewart was one of the Reds top ten pitching prospects?
    I have read the entire thread and no one has said nor intimated that. Some posters on here have said he's a good prospect, but not a great one. Top Ten overall in Cincinnati, probably Top Five.

But he's just a prospect and TINSTAAPP applies for most of us Doubting Thomases. (Thomasi?)
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I have read the entire thread and no one has said nor intimated that. Some posters on here have said he's a good prospect, but not a great one. Top Ten overall in Cincinnati, probably Top Five.

But he's just a prospect and TINSTAAPP applies for most of us Doubting Thomases. (Thomasi?)
    Okay, I'll bite, What is "TINSTAAPP" ?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Okay, I'll bite, What is "TINSTAAPP" ?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect

The thread starter has stated before he wasnt when the rolen thread went down.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The thread starter has stated before he wasnt when the rolen thread went down.
    Incorrect. I said he wasn't a Top Ten OVERALL prospect for the Reds, IMO.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?