Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arena Football League cancels 2009 season

Arena Football League cancels 2009 season

I found this kind of surprising. I always enjoyed watching Arena football on television. Can the WNBA be far behind?

http://www.cleveland.com/gladiators/...ll_league.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arena Football League cancels 2009 season

Sad to see, I've always enjoyed arena ball, it's like football on a basketball court.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I found this kind of surprising. I always enjoyed watching Arena football on television. Can the WNBA be far behind?

http://www.cleveland.com/gladiators/...ll_league.html
    WNBA is supported financially by the NBA so I don't see it going anywhere. The league has actually not been financially stable and pretty much depends on the NBA supporting it.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

oh no...this is not good news...I am a fan of our Destroyers--and a fan of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    WNBA is supported financially by the NBA so I don't see it going anywhere. The league has actually not been financially stable and pretty much depends on the NBA supporting it.
    In tough economic times I could see a number of NBA franchises letting go of their "sister" WNBA teams. The Houston Comets just went belly-up. It certainly helps to have the NBA providing financial support. But I was always under the impression that NBA support was supposed to be temporary until the WNBA could stand on its own two feet. I could be wrong.

Not so fast ...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...05ZMgD9508TU00

Arena Football League won't suspend play for now
    By DAN GELSTON – 10 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Arena Football League's 2009 season is on — for now.

The AFL's board of directors met via conference call Wednesday night but "despite rumors and reports to the contrary" did not suspend the upcoming season.

"The Board will continue to meet regularly to examine any and all long-term structural improvement options for the AFL," the league said in a statement.

The meeting came amid a tumultuous week in which the league seemed poised to cancel the season.

The 16-team league repeatedly has delayed the start of free agency and the release of its 2009 schedule after an offseason of uncertainty. No replacement has been named for longtime commissioner David Baker, who abruptly resigned in July two days before the ArenaBowl championship game.

"I have yet to hear anything from our ownership, but I am happy for the league and happy to possibly have the opportunity to defend our championship," Philadelphia Soul coach Bret Munsey said Wednesday evening.

"We all know there are some things that need to be corrected, and that's what they're working on. They're working on the economic model, and it needs to be corrected. Maybe this makes the league stronger. We're looking to be around for another 20 years."

The AFL's woes come at a time when the world of sports, once thought to be largely recession-proof, has felt the economic chill. The NFL has said it would cut 150 jobs, while the NBA and NASCAR also have laid off dozens of workers. The NHL is in a hiring freeze while the Internet operation for Major League Baseball also has trimmed positions.

It's still possible there could be big changes to the arena league.

Philadelphia Soul wide receiver Chris Jackson told the AP that the league's players had agreed to take pay cuts and had been told Tuesday that the season likely would be canceled.

Jackson said he still isn't convinced the AFL will play in '09.

"I'm still reluctant to get too happy," he said. "There's still a lot to plan out. We need to figure out how many teams are going to be in it, the finances of it all, and a working financial model for the future. There's still a lot to be done."

Players' union spokesman Carl Francis declined to discuss specifics about the 2009 season.

"We definitely are in discussions with the Arena Football League on these issues," he said.

Officials from several teams said they were proceeding with business as usual for the time being.

"We're readying contracts right now for when we're ready to move forward with free agency," said Luke Stahmer, vice president of operations for the Colorado Crush. "We're buying helmets and jerseys as if it's a regular season. We don't want to get caught with our pants down, so to speak."

The 22-year-old Arena Football League has lasted longer than the American Football League, World League, USFL and XFL combined.

Since November 2007, the AFL's board of directors has been looking into various ways to bolster the league's finances.

One proposal involved individual franchise owners ceding control of the league to new investors. Sports Business Journal reported in October that AFL owners had approved a tentative deal with Platinum Equity in which the company would invest up to $100 million and assume management control of the league.

That deal, however, has yet to be completed.

There are still no clear answers when the AFL's 16 teams might be able to start signing free agents. The dispersal draft for the players of the New Orleans VooDoo, also delayed indefinitely, was originally scheduled for October.

New Orleans dropped out of the league despite being in the top five in the league in attendance. Saints owner Tom Benson, who also owned the VooDoo, said the decision was based on "circumstances currently affecting the league and the team."

The AFL's minor-league operation, AF2, is still in operation.

ESPN acquired national TV rights to the AFL in 2006 and has a minority stake in the indoor league. ESPN signed a five-year deal to have multimedia rights that included everything from Internet to radio to publishing to international distribution.

Please god, make Slamball next.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Please god, make Slamball next.

No doubt. That "sport" is painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If a tree falls in the woods...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

That is funny. I recently received an offer for season tickets.

• 2 footballs
    • 2 tickets (season)
    • 2 t shirts

For $199

It must have been a "last second" decision.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Now it looks like they are all dead instead of mostly dead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/afl/...ory?id=4375473
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Once again.....sad news to me....I enjoyed the game and it does still exist in places such as Marion and other outposts; but I did enjoy the games and their quick pace..

RIP Columbus Destroyers

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Fans of the sport need not despair that it will disappear completely, as the af2 minor league intends to keep on chugging.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/fut...2-hidalgo.html
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?