Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protest

Protest

I believe it is time that we the fans rise up in protest against the idiots in charge of this beloved franchise. If fans would just stay away during the next homestand (every game) maybe we the fans can send a message to the dumbass onwers that we are fed up and aren't going to put up with their garbage any longer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Protest

Sorry, I have to contribute to the mess. I'm taking my son to his first ever Reds game for this birthday on the 14th, and he'd be crushed if I told him we weren't going. Besides, I already have the tickets so the team already has my money.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Sorry, I have to contribute to the mess. I'm taking my son to his first ever Reds game for this birthday on the 14th, and he'd be crushed if I told him we weren't going. Besides, I already have the tickets so the team already has my money.
    Understand, but at the same token he may be more messed up by having to watch these losers!

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I believe it is time that we the fans rise up in protest against the idiots in charge of this beloved franchise. If fans would just stay away during the next homestand (every game) maybe we the fans can send a message to the dumbass onwers that we are fed up and aren't going to put up with their garbage any longer.
    Good luck with that. Have you heard of a team called the Bengals? Your city should have revolted long ago against those crooks the Browns. I'd say the Bengals are much more worthy of a protest than the Reds, and the fans have failed at that protest for years.

^Yeha, but thats teh bungals, does anyone [I]really [I]care about them I kid, I kid
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Do as you wish, the Reds are still the reason I got into baseball, I can't just not follow them, I only ask that they at least make the playoffs before the supposed end of the world in 2012, lol
    Hey Homer! If you can put it together, you'll put the Reds over the top....think about it.

While I agree that fans need to protest something, I think a better course of action would be to protest against MLB as an organization. They currently are taking advantage of their Monopoly status and doing great harm to a large percentage of their fan base.

The first issue I have is with the black out rules. These are atrocious and only benefit the deals with cable companies that each team makes. The fact that I live 4.5 hours away from GABP but can not use MLB.TV due to black out restrictions is ludicrous. Take black out restrictions back to what they were intended for: to stop people from sitting at home and watching at TV when they could be at the stadium. That or get rid of them completely.

Next - issue, as a fan I have, is the US Draft. Make players declare their professional status and lose amateur eligibility to enter the draft. If they can't go to college, go back to college, or go to a JC then they are going to be more apt to sign with the organization that drafts them. Also, once they are drafted I believe that team should have the rights for 3 seasons. So if they choose to go to independent league ball due to contract negotiations then fine... but you are going to be missing out for 3 years not just one.

Next - international free agency. Stop it. Make it a draft. same rules as above. I would go as far to lump both international and US into one draft. Make the ages the same for everyone.

Salary Cap - make the small market teams have a reasonable chance to compete for free agents. Top of the line free agents only look at a 6 to 8 teams tops when they are getting 15+ million a year.

I don't think anyone is ever going to make these changes inside of baseball without extreme pressure from fans. And since they are a monopoly and have anti-trust laws due to this it's time for the fans to rattle cages with calls to their congressmen, boycotting games, standing outside of stadiums with fliers explaining our gripes, and allowing more fans know that we all feel this way. It seems (to me at least) that a lot of fans hold these opinions but they don't know how to get any action. As a consumer of the product they are putting out, we have immense power but we have to use it.

I will step down off my soap box now.

Understand, but at the same token he may be more messed up by having to watch these losers!
    Haha, that was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    While I agree that fans need to protest something, I think a better course of action would be to protest against MLB as an organization. They currently are taking advantage of their Monopoly status and doing great harm to a large percentage of their fan base.

The first issue I have is with the black out rules. These are atrocious and only benefit the deals with cable companies that each team makes. The fact that I live 4.5 hours away from GABP but can not use MLB.TV due to black out restrictions is ludicrous. Take black out restrictions back to what they were intended for: to stop people from sitting at home and watching at TV when they could be at the stadium. That or get rid of them completely.

Next - issue, as a fan I have, is the US Draft. Make players declare their professional status and lose amateur eligibility to enter the draft. If they can't go to college, go back to college, or go to a JC then they are going to be more apt to sign with the organization that drafts them. Also, once they are drafted I believe that team should have the rights for 3 seasons. So if they choose to go to independent league ball due to contract negotiations then fine... but you are going to be missing out for 3 years not just one.

Next - international free agency. Stop it. Make it a draft. same rules as above. I would go as far to lump both international and US into one draft. Make the ages the same for everyone.

Salary Cap - make the small market teams have a reasonable chance to compete for free agents. Top of the line free agents only look at a 6 to 8 teams tops when they are getting 15+ million a year.

I don't think anyone is ever going to make these changes inside of baseball without extreme pressure from fans. And since they are a monopoly and have anti-trust laws due to this it's time for the fans to rattle cages with calls to their congressmen, boycotting games, standing outside of stadiums with fliers explaining our gripes, and allowing more fans know that we all feel this way. It seems (to me at least) that a lot of fans hold these opinions but they don't know how to get any action. As a consumer of the product they are putting out, we have immense power but we have to use it.

Well said!!!

Atleast I'm an Orange...

I wish changing things was easier- baseball and country clubs are so similar in that respect. I'm the biggest Tiger Woods fan, but I root for him to hit a bad shot so he swears and throws his club- there's no way he'll ever get suspended and it just wears at the old crusty guys. I wish baseball had a manager like that.

While I agree that fans need to protest something, I think a better course of action would be to protest against MLB as an organization...
    A very good post and a very good idea but where to start? I'd be more than willing to work towards an MLB protest but it'd have to be a true grassroots (and not just a 'net based) effort.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

I like the way you think!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    ^Yeha, but thats teh bungals, does anyone [I]really [I]care about them I kid, I kid
    Don't kid, its the truth! They are my team as well but who really cares? IF a team is going to suck in Cincy I definitely want it to be the Bungles and not the Reds. I would much rather have the Bungles as the laughing stock every year instead of the Reds.

So, again you are right, who really gives a s---?

Don't kid, its the truth! They are my team as well but who really cares? IF a team is going to suck in Cincy I definitely want it to be the Bungles and not the Reds. I would much rather have the Bungles as the laughing stock every year instead of the Reds.
    Well, there's always the Cyclones.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Excellent idea on the protest, the fans have to make a point.

Turn Off Ads?