Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What type of pitcher should we expect Edinson Volquez to be 18 months from now?

What type of pitcher should we expect Edinson Volquez to be 18 months from now?

Does anyone have any sort of statistical data that takes into consideration ALL pitchers that have had TJ surgery and what their careers looked like pre and post TJ? That data within the last 10-15 yrs (to account for the 'perfectioning' of the method)?

I know we hear quite often that pitchers come back throwing harder after TJ... How realistic are those hopes?

How, if at all, can you factor in his other injury when trying to figure/guesstimate this stuff out?

I just really wonder if he can still become an ace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What type of pitcher should we expect Edinson Volquez to be 18 months from now?

In the last 2-3 seasons, Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson have both had Tommy John surgery. Now both are back healthy and pitching like nothing ever happened as Carpenter leads the NL in ERA and Johnson is in the top ten. I don't see why Volquez can't return to his normal self like those two and others have done.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Re: What type of pitcher should we expect Edinson Volquez to be 18 months from now?

Jim Morris from the movie "The Rookie" had TJ Surgery in his first stint in pro ball and if I recall credited the surgery for increasing his velocity for his second stint.

So you never know.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't see why
    according to Will Carroll, there was additional damage.
    2015, baby!

In the last 2-3 seasons, Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson have both had Tommy John surgery. Now both are back healthy and pitching like nothing ever happened as Carpenter leads the NL in ERA and Johnson is in the top ten. I don't see why Volquez can't return to his normal self like those two and others have done.
    Well... there is one problem with that thought.

Just what type of pitcher is Edinson Volquez? 1st of all, he got the switching leagues bump. (IMO this works in either direction for pitchers). The league adjusted to him in the second half of 2008. Did he adjust prior to his injury this year? Possibly.

But honestly, I don't think we really know what EV is just yet, and the TJ surgery just clouds things even more.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Older.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Two things can happen:

1. He can be as good as he was or better, OR
    2. He can be Brandon Claussen and be a batting practice pitcher.

Surgery is a gamble even for a great surgeon like Dr. Hollywood. I talked with an orthepedic surgeon yesterday and from what he read he says Edinson will have a long road back because the unspecified extra damage makes this touchy. His opinion was it might be 2011 before he pitches in the majors again. We'll see.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Two things can happen:

1. He can be as good as he was or better, OR
    2. He can be Brandon Claussen and be a batting practice pitcher.

Surgery is a gamble even for a great surgeon like Dr. Hollywood. I talked with an orthepedic surgeon yesterday and from what he read he says Edinson will have a long road back because the unspecified extra damage makes this touchy. His opinion was it might be 2011 before he pitches in the majors again. We'll see.
    3. Or anything in between.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

As I recall, many said that the last one was the end for Carpenter.

I just hope that, should Edinson rebound, he will do it with the Reds for a few years. And if he doesn't come back, I hope the team is not afraid to let him go (as much as I hate to say).

Carpenter is the worst kind of outlier, a player that has come back from multiple injuries, was horrible before switching leagues and has to be considered a player pitching on borrowed time.

JMO.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?