Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips on moving to SS

Phillips on moving to SS

Phillips open to move to SS. "Whatever makes the team better."

From John Fays Twitter.

Id like to hear audio or video of him saying just so I could see some body language.

Boy that Brandon Phillips is such a selfish guy. I'm tired of him always being so selfish and a club house cancer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips on moving to SS

Who said he's a clubhouse cancer? He doesn't make the best decisions at times in terms of hustling etc, but I definitely wouldn't call him a clubhouse cancer. He's a valuable player, and one of the few productive players on this team.

Plenty of people feel that way around these boards. Of course they never back it up with anything.

So then who would play second? Kind of a ying/yang thing. You can say Fraiser long term, but he isn't MLB ready yet.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

If Phillips could play good enough D you have to move him there. There is tons of options for 2nd base in our system. Valaika, Frazier, Rosales, and Sutton come to mind pretty much instantly.

If you're gonna say Valaika or Sutton, then why not leave Phillips at second and let those players player SS, since they have played it more recently?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Well Sutton isnt a SS really at all. Vailaika could be but people question his D also. I think the thought is Phillips is good enough to be still very good with the D at short while a guy like Valaika could still be very good at 2nd with the D. If they feel they can upgrade 2 positions this way why not try it.

Atleast I'm an Orange...

If we can get the infield in order, why would we pass that up? That only leaves CF and LF, plus pitching.

"I'll do whatever the Reds want me to do," he said. "I'll play outfield, shortstop."

the full quote. If the Reds didnt have Stubbs in AAA I would play Phillips in CF. Im just CRAZY though .

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    "I'll do whatever the Reds want me to do," he said. "I'll play outfield, shortstop."

the full quote. If the Reds didnt have Stubbs in AAA I would play Phillips in CF. Im just CRAZY though .
    ha ha...well, let's not go overboard.

I'm not totally against moving Phillips to short, but before that is a consideration, let's comeup with a solid answer for second. Until then, I think he should stay put.

It sure wouldn't hurt to try him there now.Plus he would bat 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post

I'm not totally against moving Phillips to short, but before that is a consideration, let's comeup with a solid answer for second. Until then, I think he should stay put.
    Yeah i would agree with this assesment.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post

I agree with you some what, but if Phillips can still play SS and is the answer there I say move him and worry about 2nd later I mean it is easier to find a 2nd baseman then it is a SS. A good/great SS is more valuable and important to a teams defense then a good/great 2nd baseman IMO.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I like watching Brandon Phillips play. I think he's fun, especially with the glove at times. I'd like to see him have a long stay with the Reds. That being said, I've always sensed a bit of selfishness on his part, especially when he's at the dish. For example, I would LOVE to see stats for him when he follows a guy who hits a home run. You can almost always take it to the bank that he'll K or make an easy out swinging for the fences. It never fails. His situational hitting is subpar like many of his teammates. He'd be a much more respected player if he cut down his swing at times and used the whole field.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

The organization has a host of players who could fill in at 2B next year until they get Frazier ready. Richar, Valakia, Rosales, Sutton and even Janish.

Phillips contract and #'s would be a steal at SS. Just behind Ramerez, Handley and Rollins, Jimmy.

I would almost bet any of those fill-ins until Frazier was ready say by May-June could platoon OPS above Gonzales current #'s and do it for about 6 million cheaper.

I just think Fraziers bat will play real real well in GABP.

Turn Off Ads?