Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Per John Fays Twitter _Brandon would play SS if the reds want him too

Per John Fays Twitter _Brandon would play SS if the reds want him too

its on mlbtraderumours, from John Fays Twitter..

Brandon Phillips would consider playing short if the Reds want him to, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

I say do it NOW!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Per John Fays Twitter _Brandon would play SS if the reds want him too

Brandon Phillips is up for a move to shortstop.

"I'll do whatever the Reds want me to do," he said. "I'll play outfield, shortstop."

Phillips came up as shortstop. He won the Gold Glove at second base last year.

The reason it's being discussed is shortstop Alex Gonzalez's contract is up. The Reds hold an option that they almost surely will not pick up. The Reds have been playing Todd Frazier, their No. 2 prospect, at second base lately. Frazier's move there was unrelated to Phillips, Walt Jocketty said. But even if the Reds decide to go the free agent route, a free agent second baseman would be less expensive than a shortstop. And the shortstop free agent class for 2010 is weak.

"No one's said anything to me," Phillips said. "But I'll do whatever makes the team better."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

As good a bat as Phillips has, why does this have Pokey Reese written all over it?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Phillips said. "But I'll do whatever makes the team better."
    I have some ideas for him; but it would probably involve a Grand Jury indictment and jail time. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have some ideas for him; but it would probably involve a Grand Jury indictment and jail time. :
    You want him to play for the Bengals?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As good a bat as Phillips has, why does this have Pokey Reese written all over it?
    I doubt it would be that bad but this is a few years too late, reeks of a fear of repeaing the AGon mistake.

My guess is Walt will go find a real SS and see if Frazier can eventully make Phillips trade bait.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I am not sure we are on the same wave length, but if your idea involves making a certain CF "disappear", I think if the jury had just one Reds fan, they would never convict.

(just kidding for anyone offended)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

BP at SS would be pretty great. It's more than a bit easier to find a 2B who can hit and field than the same for a shortstop.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I am not sure we are on the same wave length, but if your idea involves making a certain CF "disappear", I think if the jury had just one Reds fan, they would never convict.

(just kidding for anyone offended)
    I'm offended, every night. When is Willy going to apologize to anyone offended by his play?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

With Rolen and his best-in-generation glove over at 3B, the Reds would be foolish not to give Phillips a long look at SS for the rest of this season. The team is never going to have a better left side complement than it does right now.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I doubt it would be that bad but this is a few years too late, reeks of a fear of repeaing the AGon mistake.

My guess is Walt will go find a real SS and see if Frazier can eventully make Phillips trade bait.
    Pokey Reese? I dunno about that. At least Brandon will hit well enough to stay on the team (or on someone else's team) if the experiment doesn't work. Actually, I would expect the Reds to try all of their options over the coming months--by moving Frazier to 2B, trying BP at SS and, if those two things don't work, looking for outside help at one or both positions.

Also, not sure about Valaika and Cozart, but you have to think their names will come up at some point in the discussion as well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

6 seasons playing SS in the minors, Brandon had 148 errors in 572 games for a .949 fielding %
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    With Rolen and his best-in-generation glove over at 3B, the Reds would be foolish not to give Phillips a long look at SS for the rest of this season. The team is never going to have a better left side complement than it does right now.
    That's exactly right.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Yeah, but what would we do with Gonzo in the meantime?

If they do move Phillips to SS it's not like they are going to have Jeff Keppinger out there. He may not be Hanley Ramirez out there but he's not going to suck. If Brandon is sincere about this I'm all for it. But I get the feeling that his statement was for public consumption and he doesn't want to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?