Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds nearing deal with Leake

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds nearing deal with Leake

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Great news, once he is signed losing Stewart will not hurt near as much.
    Why? We were expected to sign Leake the entire time. We still lost Stewart.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Mark Sheldon's blog:

Jocketty also told me that the Reds and first round Draft pick, RHP Mike Leake, have drifted apart since he was optimistic last week that his signing could happen. Throwing a wrench into the works was that seventh overall pick, LHP Mike Minor, was signed by the Braves last week with a $2.42 million signing bonus -- it was over the slot recommendation.

"That didn't help us," Jocketty said. "We'll keep negotiating and hope we can get it done before the deadline. We are a reasonable amount apart. We've moved considerably and they haven't moved at all. We're still far apart."

The deadline to sign draft picks is 12:01 am ET on Aug. 18.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Mark Sheldon's blog:

Jocketty also told me that the Reds and first round Draft pick, RHP Mike Leake, have drifted apart since he was optimistic last week that his signing could happen. Throwing a wrench into the works was that seventh overall pick, LHP Mike Minor, was signed by the Braves last week with a $2.42 million signing bonus -- it was over the slot recommendation.

"That didn't help us," Jocketty said. "We'll keep negotiating and hope we can get it done before the deadline. We are a reasonable amount apart. We've moved considerably and they haven't moved at all. We're still far apart."

The deadline to sign draft picks is 12:01 am ET on Aug. 18.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/
    Yuck
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

MLB needs to just go ahead and formally slot the salaries based on a rolling formula of total major league salary expenditures and allow picks to be traded already. This posturing does nobody any good except for agents.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Instead of waiting around for the other teams to go above slot, maybe you should just do the signing before it gets to this point?

The Bengals are doing the same thing with their 1st round pick.

It would be sooooo 2009 Reds if they failed to sign Leake.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It would be sooooo 2009 Reds if they failed to sign Leake.
    It would be soooo 2009 if we signed him and than he got injured. It would be soooo 2009 if we signed him and than dealt him for an aging player. It would be sooo 2009 if....
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    It would be soooo 2009 if we signed him and than he got injured. It would be soooo 2009 if we signed him and than dealt him for an aging player. It would be sooo 2009 if....
    I was just going along the lines of failure.

If we don't sign Leake this year, then we'll just have two better players (it is considerd to be a stronger draft) to avoid signing next year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Instead of waiting around for the other teams to go above slot, maybe you should just do the signing before it gets to this point?

The Bengals are doing the same thing with their 1st round pick.
    It's not that simple. Agents now intentionally like to wait until a week or two before the deadline to put pressure on clubs. Unless the Reds met the immediate demands of the agent, he was not likely to allow Leake to sign any sooner.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Not good news, but not bad either. I didn't think he'd sign before the guys in front of him unless we blew him away.

Otherwise, his agent is not doing his job.

It's just part of the business.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

It will get done, just like I figured it would, during the last day or day before the deadline. No way Leake goes back in, because I don't think he could pitch a better season than what he did.

I'm also confident that Boxberger will be done as well. It's not like these guys were going to pitch much anyway, so just beat the deadline like everyone else and move forward.

If he doesn't sign, doesn't that only hurt him? How far could he fall in the draft next year? Where does he pitch next year if he doesn't sign? Or does he just sit at home and wait?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by mac624 View Post
    It will get done, just like I figured it would, during the last day or day before the deadline. No way Leake goes back in, because I don't think he could pitch a better season than what he did.

I'm also confident that Boxberger will be done as well. It's not like these guys were going to pitch much anyway, so just beat the deadline like everyone else and move forward.

Still -- being a Reds fan is like being a punching bag. Every piece of news is bad. There is no fun in this anymore.

I know Jocketty is just trying to be informative for the beat writers, but his statement is an abomination. It tells fans this -- we won't spend on top veteran players. And now there is danger we won't be able to sign a first draft choice who was probably overdrafted (for financial reasons) to begin with.

I really don't want to hear it, Walt. And please don't play hero when and if you finally do sign your top picks.

What an organization.

Quote Originally Posted by mac624 View Post

Agreed.
    No way they let him walk, and no way he goes back in the draft or plays for the St. Paul Saints next year...

I think Leake will be up at some point in 2010, possibly earlier than September. A lot of folks think he could be a #3 in very short time. I think he could make the rotation pretty quick, esp. if Arroyo and Harang are dealt and we get no other FA's.

I saw him pitch in the CWS, he was dominant early, although he seemed to wear out after the 5th or 6th, probably a long season for him and some tendinitis rumblings, basically he just didn't have his top control. Dude throws 4 pitches with plus plus command. I really think he can step in very soon.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?