Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds nearing deal with Leake

Reds nearing deal with Leake

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

08/05/09 6:15 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Talks have been ongoing with Reds first-round Draft pick Mike Leake but appear to be nearing the home stretch.

Leake, a pitcher, was the eighth overall selection by Cincinnati in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft.

"We've had several discussions lately," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "I think we're getting closer. Hopefully, we'll get something resolved this week. We've only got 10 days."

Last year, the Reds didn't sign their top pick, first baseman Yonder Alonso, until about 15 minutes before the deadline.

"I hope it doesn't take that long," Jocketty said.

If Leake is signed this week, he would get almost a month of exposure in the Minor Leagues, most likely with Class A Sarasota.

Any unsigned player after the deadline will automatically go back into the Draft pool, which means the Reds would receive a compensatory pick the following year in the same slot where Leake was picked.

Leake, a right-handed starter from Arizona State, was 16-1 with a 1.71 ERA, 24 walks and 162 strikeouts in 19 games this season. A key member of the Sun Devils' run in the College World Series, he pitched 142 innings.

The deadline to sign Draft picks is 12:01 a.m. on Aug. 18.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds nearing deal with Leake

Does anyone really think we wont sign him? I cant see it.

Last year with Yonder I think there was legit worry but with Leake? I dont.

I'd really like to see Leake get shut down for the rest of the season...he's pitched more than enough this season.

If he pitches at all, it needs to be out of the pen or starting and only going an inning or two. No real reason to pitch him that much, he's had a LONG lay off, and you don't want him blowing up and overexerting. Same goes for Boxberger, if he signs.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Sarasota. He'll not be all that sharp, but a few starts by the end of the year probably won't hurt him and will help the Reds see if he needs A ball in 2010 or if he can go ahead and start in AA.

That would cut a year off his time in the minors and could make him ready by as early as 2011.

Some folks have said he could be ready for the Bigs in 2010.
    They say he has #3 stuff right now, and with his college career, he's more than ready to make the jump.

What is the opinions here?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    They say he has #3 stuff right now, and with his college career, he's more than ready to make the jump.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I've not seen those reports. I think he still has quite a bit of development before he reaches the bigs. I'd be surprised if he made it by 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Yeah I'd hold off on 2010.

Assuming he signs in the next week, let him pitch in Sarasota for the rest of the year. Next year, he starts in Carolina and you go from there. I don't see him contributing in the bigs until 2011, but with this club you never know.
    Go BLUE!!!

Braves signed Mike Minor for 2.4 million

Only a matter of time before we sign leake now I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Braves signed Mike Minor for 2.4 million

Only a matter of time before we sign leake now I'd imagine.
    Good info, do you have a link?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

That article mentiond AFL for Minor. Same could be true for Leake.

The trap that small market teams can fall into is one of bringing up talent too soon. The affordable years are wasted as the player adapts to the major leagues and contributes only marginally. By the time the player is ready to make a valuable contribution, he is moving into his arb eligible and free agency. If his team then knows it can't afford to keep him, he is traded for prospects and the merry-go-round continues. The small market team becomes a de facto farm team for the wealthier franchises. I think the Pirates are dangerously close to stepping onto this treadmill.

That said, I don't think we will see Leake until at least 2011. The Reds won't bring him up until they feel sure he can be a productive member of the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I've not seen those reports. I think he still has quite a bit of development before he reaches the bigs. I'd be surprised if he made it by 2011.
    I don't know that I agree with them, but there were several reports saying Leake might be equipped to make it as fast as any pitcher in the draft not named Strasburg. In the same breath, I saw 2010 mentioned several times.

I have absolutely no expectations for that, but I would not be surprised if he's getting a cup of coffee around this time next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Great news, once he is signed losing Stewart will not hurt near as much.

Turn Off Ads?