Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds nearing deal with Leake

Re: Reds nearing deal with Leake

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Kc, I'd certainly distinguish Griffey from Dunn; IMO, it was long past time to move Jr., as great as he was, and his performance since has borne that out. Dunn was a great loss; I just assume he was committed to trying the free agent market and there wasn't a whole lot to be done. I took WJ's comments about how "we were looking for a right handed bat" to mean "we know there's no chance to sign Adam and so this is the spin to put on it." I really wouldn't infer anything from those moves to this situation.
    Oh, I'm not saying they should have kept Dunn. I'm simply saying that the Reds let go the two faces of the franchise and simply didn't replace them. The only outfielders they signed were Taveras, Gomes and Nix -- hardly replacements for Adam Dunn or even for an older KGJr.

All off-season I asked, where is the replacement for these two hitters? I thought for sure that the "embarrassment factor" would cause the Reds to go out and get a Jermaine Dye or somebody. But no.

I presume they'll sign Leake. Your good point, that they need to appease the fans by signing the high draft choices, is probably right. But this team doesn't embarrass easily and at this point you have to wonder if any player move is a given.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    It certainly would be par for the course to not get our top picks signed .....
    The Reds have only failed once not to sign it's top pick.

i would be shocked if they don't sign Leake.

From Yahoo.

The situation with Arizona State pitchers Mike Leake and Josh Spence still is quiet. Sources close to the situation still are saying Leake wants to sign and eventually will sign with the Reds by the deadline.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    From Yahoo.
    Thanks for posting that, BRM. I really hope we get both Leake and Boxberger signed. A Miami SS would be great, too. If we can get rid of Gonzalez and then use that money to seal up a Miami SS and throw a little extra change towards Leake and Boxberger, I would be ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Thanks for posting that, BRM. I really hope we get both Leake and Boxberger signed. A Miami SS would be great, too. If we can get rid of Gonzalez and then use that money to seal up a Miami SS and throw a little extra change towards Leake and Boxberger, I would be ecstatic.
    Yep. Maybe even make a run at Sano, too.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not quite.

You can't pick two studs, since your "comp" pick has to be someone virutally guaranteed to sign (since the "comp" pick goes away if it isn't used) with no other options.

The comp pick gets tons of leverage in those situations, so you almost have to reach and give someone first round money who wasn't expected (and won't in the future) get that opportunity.
    See, this i don't understand. Let's call it "The Nationals Way".

Instead, why not go after a STUD with the comp pick. It puts more pressure on the regular pick to sign, because if he doesn't, he's another year away from his payday. The Reds then get another comp pick if the regular pick doesn't sign, AND they get their stud pick in the comp position. With pressure put on both teams to sign the player, a deal will get done. At worst, the Reds lose a 1st round pick. At best, they get two stud top ten picks.

win/win. Really it comes down to the owner willing to step up, and a GM unwilling to blink.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    See, this i don't understand. Let's call it "The Nationals Way".

Instead, why not go after a STUD with the comp pick. It puts more pressure on the regular pick to sign, because if he doesn't, he's another year away from his payday. The Reds then get another comp pick if the regular pick doesn't sign, AND they get their stud pick in the comp position. With pressure put on both teams to sign the player, a deal will get done. At worst, the Reds lose a 1st round pick. At best, they get two stud top ten picks.

win/win. Really it comes down to the owner willing to step up, and a GM unwilling to blink.
    Agreed. See the "Overdrafting/Overslotting" thread.

On a side note, Leake is seeking a bonus and not an ML deal according to this:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268711.html
    Go BLUE!!!

Gonzales being traded opens up a 40 man spot if it is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Reds have only failed once not to sign it's top pick.
    I assume that was Sowers. And he stinks.

I can only assume also it was Sowers. Speaking of which, I went to the first game he pitched against the Reds (at least I'm pretty sure it was) up at the Jake and nothing could have been better when we not only beat em, but Griffey and Dunn went back to back on him. It was my only enjoyable experience in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I assume that was Sowers. And he stinks.
    We can thank the almighty Jim Bowden for that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    We can thank the almighty Jim Bowden for that.
    I think its more like the cheap Carl Lindner who wouldn't fork over ANY money for the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Gonzales being traded opens up a 40 man spot if it is the issue.
    Kevin Barker took that spot when he was called up, he wasn't previously on the 40 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Kevin Barker took that spot when he was called up, he wasn't previously on the 40 man.
    I posted before they made that move!

Turn Off Ads?