Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Highlight of a Dismal Season?

Highlight of a Dismal Season?

Was tonight it? Complete game four-hit shutout (of the Cubs no less) by a 32 year-old career minor leaguer.

Doesn't really do much for the future, but it sure was fun. Congrats to Lehr!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Highlight of a Dismal Season?

I guess I don't find it as entertaining as everyone else. Great for Lehr, but personally I'm a Reds fan, and the game was meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I guess I don't find it as entertaining as everyone else. Great for Lehr, but personally I'm a Reds fan, and the game was meaningless.

You're a Reds fan. Your team won a game. The game was meaningless.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post

Exactly.

Folks better get used to same old same old...it's not going away anytime soon. Tonight showed how fun a win can be, and how great the game of baseball is. Now if we could just do it 80-85 times a year, then you can get excited.

And a big Congrats to Justin Lehr. A thrill for the "kid" no matter where we are in the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post

How many games are we behind? Is this win supposed to make him forget about the recent patheticness. Is everything cured or is this just a band-aid over a decapitation?

Sure we are out of it but tonight was a fun game to watch for me.

At the end, 5 or 6 Reds came over and hugged him while he was being interviewed. Then he got the pie in the face. Twice.

It isn't all about wins and losses.

Yeah I'm tired of the losing too, but as a Reds fan you take what you can get. Tonight was a good one I thought.

Justin Lehr did himself proud last night. It does vault the Reds into the division lead, of course, but it sure was fun to follow. Double the fun really, since it came against the Chicago Orphans.

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Sure we are out of it but tonight was a fun game to watch for me.

At the end, 5 or 6 Reds came over and hugged him while he was being interviewed. Then he got the pie in the face. Twice.

It isn't all about wins and losses.

Yeah I'm tired of the losing too, but as a Reds fan you take what you can get. Tonight was a good one I thought.
    I disagree, Wins and Losses are exactly what it's all about! It's not little league anymore. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to take away anything from what the guy did, and I'm happy for him, but in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. I am a Reds fan, and wins at this point don't do that much for me unless they run off about 12 in a row. The goal every year should be to win the World Series, and thats basically an unreachable goal right now. That's why as a Reds fan, last night didn't really excite me.

One win was a "the" highlight of the season.

nahhh. i think not.

Now maybe the first 60 games were a highlight of this season.

but now with tommyjohn and bakermetrics and the fact the reds are broke. We can expect the same ol' reds for at least 2010.

Here's why this was the highlight of the season:

It took a complete game shutout to end a season high 8 game losing streak...

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I disagree, Wins and Losses are exactly what it's all about! It's not little league anymore. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to take away anything from what the guy did, and I'm happy for him, but in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. I am a Reds fan, and wins at this point don't do that much for me unless they run off about 12 in a row. The goal every year should be to win the World Series, and thats basically an unreachable goal right now. That's why as a Reds fan, last night didn't really excite me.
    Yeah, the Reds don't 'get' anything for winning this game, so it doesn't mean anything. But, think about other lost seasons (or even good ones) you've lived through. What do you remember about them? Do you think about the W-L record or do you remember certain games or plays? Sure, the WS winning season stick out, but I remember games and plays, too. I think the wily journey man with the 85 mph fastball throwing a shutout is one of the things many people might remember about 2009. So, in that sense, I'd say last night's win was lot less meaningless than the one before that (whenever that was ).

I was at the game last night and enjoyed watching Lehr pitch. He didn't top out much over 87 mph but his breaking ball and off speed pitches were around 70 mph. Just goes to show you when you get ahead in the count, mix your pitches up and most importantly throw strikes good things can happen. Also he had very good defense behind him.

Also anytime you can gather a group of cub fans in one spot and watch their reactions as their team loses, well lets just say it is priceless!

Definitely one of the highlights of the season, at least from a feel-good perspective in regards to Lehr. Those days when we were 6 games over .500 and Rosales was hitting, and our pitching was kicking butt were more fun, but good moments can still be had, even in the midst of this free fall. The Reds are my team and as frustrated as I get, I still watch and enjoy the good things.

Eh, its August; the time of year Reds fans annually wonder who gets called up, will the team at least play respectable in the last bit, try to find bright spots for next year, and wait for opening kickoff....
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    try to find bright spots for next year, and wait for opening kickoff....
    Mike Brown has successfully beat being a Bengals fan out of me (just hire a GM ya jerk). So for me it's just wait for next year.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?