Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do we stand on Lehr?

Re: Where do we stand on Lehr?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    No, we don't.
    4.6 K/9 in AAA as a 31 year old. I really enjoy your first-hand reports on the Bats and I know you've seen him plenty this year. But I think you are letting your personal feelings about Lehr cloud your judgement on this one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lehr's fun to watch pitch. He has an idea. His stuff isn't bad either, but it's pretty straight, other than the splitter.

I doubt he's anything other than minor league depth. But he's decent minor league depth.

Most any year this decade, he'd already be in the rotation.

The peripherals suggested Matt Maloney could be a successful pitcher at this level (though I still believe he can be), but so far performance says otherwise. Lehr's peripherals aren't nearly as supportive of him cutting it as Maloney. So I am highly skeptical that Lehr can amount to anything more than fodder.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

No, we don't.
    I think we've seen this story before. It was one game. It was really fun and enjoyable, but let's not get crazy here.

He was a journeyman coming into this game, and he's a journeyman coming out.

I do know one thing, if Lehr had the talent of Homer Bailey, he's be one heck of a pitcher.

Don't think I don't know that when a Bats goes to the bigs, it's a different game. But I also don't believe for a second that a pitcher has to have a high K rate to be effective. And don't expect to see Lehr walk 6 in another game.

Lehr's not a kid like Homer. He has developed the skill of knowing how to pitch. You saw it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Happy for him?

I mean, he's not a long term option. He's not even a three year plan option. He's just a guy that's worked his butt off his whole career and because of certain circumstances is getting his reward for all he's put into the game. Tremendous moment for him tonight. Whatever "it" is, that's what's it's all about.
    Perfectly said

I don't know, but I'm curious to see it play out. He wouldn't be the first guy in the game's history to put it together late, nor would he be the first flash in the pan for one game. I'm hoping for the best though, for Lehr, the team and the fans. We all need a good story to embrace.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think we've seen this story before. It was one game. It was really fun and enjoyable, but let's not get crazy here.
    2 games
    1.93 ERA
    1.07 WHIP

Getting crazy to me would be just writing him off. Send him back to Louisville and start Owings for the rest of the year.

geesh you would think he just gave up 5 runs to the Nationals and LOST!! Heck at least h did well.. I bet if he threw a no-hitter, everybody woudl still call it a fluke and not be happy for the guy!! Goodness!! enough of the negative on this board.. Its like only certain players can only do well and the rest that do are justa fluke.. I hope he wins again against the Cards!!

Don't think I don't know that when a Bats goes to the bigs, it's a different game. But I also don't believe for a second that a pitcher has to have a high K rate to be effective. And don't expect to see Lehr walk 6 in another game.

Lehr's not a kid like Homer. He has developed the skill of knowing how to pitch. You saw it tonight.
    You gotta be able to fool someone.

A K rate of 4 in the minors means even lower than that in the majors. It's a sign that he doesn't have the requisite stuff to survive in the bigs. Even tonight, at his absolute best he strikes out 4. You don't have to be a K pitcher to succeed, not at all, but you have to be able to fool them sometimes.

A guy like him has absolutely rasor thin margins. Tonight everything went his way. I don't want to take anything away from the guy, I really enjoyed the performance, but before tonight, there was not one single thing in his track record that suggests he can survive in the majors.

One game, no matter how good, does not change that.

2 games
    1.93 ERA
    1.07 WHIP

Getting crazy to me would be just writing him off. Send him back to Louisville and start Owings for the rest of the year.
    No it really wouldn't. If the Reds were contending and had a guy that was perceived as better coming off the DL, I wouldn't hesitate to ditch Lehr. He had 1 good game. Last week was an unmitigated disaster from a peripheral standpoint.

Getting crazy is letting 1 game for anyone, let alone a 31 year old journeyan change your judgements about the pitcher.

He reminds me of Joel Pineiro. I'd love to have the 2009 version of Joel Pineiro
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The way the Reds operate, they've already penciled him in to replace EV in the 2010 rotation, based on this game alone.

Lehr had a wonderful performance tonight. I'm not taking anything away from that.

But lets be real, name one other pitcher in the majors who tops out at about 85 mph who is a consistent, good starter in a ML rotation.

It was a great performance, and something to be proud of. But it's not negativity pointing out that the guy probably doesn't have much longer before he starts getting his brains beat in. It's reality.

You guys are right. He sucks. Send him back to Louisville.

Turn Off Ads?