Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Dusty go????

Should Dusty go????

Here's blog from NBCSports.com.....

Dusty Baker given a vote of confidence
    By Craig Calcaterra

Last night's spectacularly unexpected start from Justin Lehr notwithstanding, the Reds are in freefall. They've lost tons of games -- they're 5-22 since their high water mark on the Fourth of July -- their putative ace is gone until 2011, and they've made trades that are perplexing to say the least. In such situations, a high-profile, expensive veteran manager tends to be in serious danger because, hey, anyone can lose with these guys, so why not do it with a cheap organizational soldier at the helm? That's not an option currently on the table in Cincy, however:

Reds CEO Bob Castellini said Wednesday that manager Dusty Baker's job is safe.

"Absolutely," Castellini said.

He said Baker will be back for 2010 - the final year of his contract - as well.

"Absolutely," Castellini said.

The Reds had lost eight straight and 14 of 15 games going into Wednesday's tilt with the Chicago Cubs. They were tied for last place in the National League Central with Pittsburgh.

"The team has not quit," Castellini said. "They are still playing hard."

Contrary to a lot of the stuff you see written about him, Dusty Baker is not a bad manager, and the extreme positions people take to that end are kind of silly. Baker has done well with veteran teams and has served as a stabilizing clubhouse presence. He is underrated in that regard, as that skill (i.e. serving as a stabilizing presence) is itself underrated.

Dusty has not done well with young and developing teams, however, and for that reason is he is probably ill-suited to be the Reds' manager. It's not urgent or anything -- the manager is not going to be the difference between winning it all and losing in Cincinnati in the next year or so -- but if I were Bob Castellini I'd investigate buying out the last year on Dusty's deal and finding a young teaching manager to keep around until the team has a plausible case for contention.

http://ctb.nbcsports.com/2009/08/dus...dence.html.php

***IMHO...

Though the $$$ could be used for a FA contract....

spend the $4 mil to buy DB out + be done with Dusty!

Let's face it....he was never a positive fit

for the circumstances of this Reds organization!

Last edited by Red Forman; 08-06-2009 at 01:54 PM.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

"George Bush is a fan of mine...he came to see me in the 70's. His coke dealer brought him."...Bette Midler

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Dusty go????

All the red in that post is killing my eyes
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

haha. typical castellini...unbelievable

finding a young teaching manager

Rick Sweet ?
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    All the red in that post is killing my eyes

BigKlu,

For U....

I'll change it to
    darkred.

LOL
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

"George Bush is a fan of mine...he came to see me in the 70's. His coke dealer brought him."...Bette Midler

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

They won't get within sniffing range of the Nationals if Toothpick is axed!

He should go solely on his rational and reasoning for the things he does. the problem is they will replace him with someone who will get similar results just because the team is built poorly every year.

Spend money more wisely 1st, get a manager 2nd.

Absolutely he should go, but he won't because he's Bob's guy. Bob's blind as a bat and obviously has no understanding of baseball if he thinks Dusto is the right guy for this team. Hopefully, 2011 will be the year to win now, since Dusto will find a way to lose in 2010 I can guarentee it.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

The real question to be addressed is How quickly should Dusty go?

To answer the question, yes. Would be hard to find a Reds fan that thinks he should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    He should go solely on his rational and reasoning for the things he does. the problem is they will replace him with someone who will get similar results just because the team is built poorly every year.

Spend money more wisely 1st, get a manager 2nd.
    Absolute brilliance! No one, and I mean no one, could make a winner of this team. A triple A outfield, a shell of Harang, an overworked Weathers, (out of desperation), no Volquez, with the exception of Phillips and Votto a bench player starting IF? Who could make such a lineup a winner?

Ans: NO one.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Absolute brilliance! No one, and I mean no one, could make a winner of this team. A triple A outfield, a shell of Harang, an overworked Weathers, (out of desperation), no Volquez, with the exception of Phillips and Votto a bench player starting IF? Who could make such a lineup a winner?

The Mets seem to be putting it together for a team with an all star cast on the dl for most of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The Mets seem to be putting it together for a team with an all star cast on the dl for most of it...
    The Mets are 6 games under .500 and 11 games out of first, how is that putting it together.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post

I absolutely agree. The reincarnation of Casey Stengal could not produce a winner with this ball club. But that isn't the problem. The problem is, Dusty continues to make moves that prevent this team from winning as much as they cay. Such as strage lineups, sending starters back out when they should be pulled, not playing people he should.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

They got hot at the end of July I thought that had carried over. But still 51 wins with 2/3 of the lineup out with various injuries. Compare that to the jokes of Duhhhsty's lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Turn Off Ads?