Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players over the last 5 years you lobbied for and are now stars, or not

Players over the last 5 years you lobbied for and are now stars, or not

For me, this year's star that I had lobbied for in the past was Edwin Jackson. He was showing signs of being what he was hyped to be last year, and while pitching half his games in Detroit certainly helps, he's been an absolute BEAST this year.

As for the not, I wanted the Reds to make a run for Furcal. Injured a lot and this year not really up to his past standards. He's still a phenomenal talent, but I'm not sure he'll ever have another great season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Players over the last 5 years you lobbied for and are now stars, or not

I'm not sure I'd call Gavin Floyd a "star", but he's a guy I thought we should take a flyer on back when he was struggling with Philly. How did the Sox acquire him again? I honestly don't remember. I wanted the Reds to sign Torii Hunter when he was a free agent, but I knew that had next to no chance. I saw him play two times live and that was all I needed to see. Guy can just flat out cover ground.

I was wrong about Furcal as well. Although, I will say that just because he is not succeeding in LA, it doesn't mean he wouldn't have succeeded here. He's also hitting about .300 over his last month.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I really wanted the Reds to get Jeff Clement when he was blocked (still is and still kind of want to see him but he was just traded to Pittsburgh). He hasn't done much at the MLB level though.

This past offseason I really wanted to see the Reds go after Juan Rivera who is hitting .311/.350/.521 with 22 walks, 34Ks and a 123 OPS+ for Anaheim right now.

Over the last few years here on RZ I have lobbied for a lot of different players. Some of the ones I remember:

Chris Capuano, Ian Snell, Chris Shelton, David Aardsma, Ryan Sheally, Brandon Inge, Rich Hill, Aubrey Huff, Brian Anderson, Adrian Beltre, Andy Marte, Derek Lowe, Trever Miller, Khalil Greene, Brian Schneider, Coco Crisp, Melky Cabrera, Clint Barmes, Jonathan Sanchez, Josh Willingham, Javier Vazquez, Felipe Lopez, Ty Wigginton, Elijah Dukes, and Reggie Willits.

You can decide for yourself which ones would have been good moves...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 08-06-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Over the last few years here on RZ I have lobbied for a lot of different players. Some of the ones I remember:

Ian Snell, Chris Shelton, David Aardsma, Ryan Sheally, Brandon Inge, Aubrey Huff, Adrian Beltre, Derek Lowe, Trever Miller, Khalil Greene, Brian Schneider, Coco Crisp, Melky Cabrera, Clint Barmes, Jonathan Sanchez, Josh Willingham, Javier Vazquez, Felipe Lopez, Ty Wigginton, Elijah Dukes, and Reggie Willits.

You can decide for yourself which ones would have been good moves...
    Hard to believe that One particular player has the 2nd most strikeouts (as a pitcher) since 2000. Probably not hard to figure out based on the list, but could you think of the name if you didn't have the list?

Zack Greinke and Josh Hamilton were guys I wanted.... I'll be the first to admit I was lucky on those guys.

Then again, I have more than enough misses to cancel them out lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Hard to believe that One particular player has the 2nd most strikeouts (as a pitcher) since 2000. Probably not hard to figure out based on the list, but could you think of the name if you didn't have the list?
    Easily. Javier Vazquez. He's my favorite pitcher in baseball, and always on my fantasy teams...

Homeboy Kevin Youkilis.

Years ago, in the 80's, I wanted Mark Langston. I can't even remember why.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Homeboy Kevin Youkilis.

Years ago, in the 80's, I wanted Mark Langston. I can't even remember why.
    A poster named "relaxed larry" suggested the Reds trade Barry Larkin for a Red Sox minor leaguer named Kevin Youkilis...in 2002.

Anyone else remember that?
    Go BLUE!!!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This past offseason I really wanted to see the Reds go after Juan Rivera who is hitting .311/.350/.521 with 22 walks, 34Ks and a 123 OPS+ for Anaheim right now.
    This is the first thing that came to me when I saw this thread. I knew how he had played for the Angels in the past and REALLY wanted him to come play for the Reds. *sigh*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    A poster named "relaxed larry" suggested the Reds trade Barry Larkin for a Red Sox minor leaguer named Kevin Youkilis...in 2002.

Anyone else remember that?
    Weren't you the one who was really hot on Chris Capuano a year or so ago?

I couldn't really say who I wanted as a FA but I remember watching Owings pitch as a DBack and said I would really like to see him as a Red. I also really want Victorino but that isn't happening anytime soon.

High five!

I currently think Nyjer Morgan is who Wayne/Dusty/Walt wanted Corey Patterson/Willy Taveras to be.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    This is the first thing that came to me when I saw this thread. I knew how he had played for the Angels in the past and REALLY wanted him to come play for the Reds. *sigh*

I could have sworn JimBo brought him to ST sometime in the early 2000s. I also heard that he was stealing teammates gear when he was with the Yankees or is that someone else I'm thinking of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Weren't you the one who was really hot on Chris Capuano a year or so ago?
    Ah, yes. Chris Capuano. I was so for that guy. I'll have to add him to my list...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I could have sworn JimBo brought him to ST sometime in the early 2000s. I also heard that he was stealing teammates gear when he was with the Yankees or is that someone else I'm thinking of?
    Former Red Ruben Rivera?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?