Thread: Time to say goodbye for Hal McCoy

High five!

Time to say goodbye for Hal McCoy

Check it out. The DDN is retiring Hal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time to say goodbye for Hal McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Check it out. The DDN is retiring Hal.
    That is absolutely horrible news, and this affects me more than anything that has happened on the field this season.

Haunted by walks

Also, the paper is no longer having someone cover the Reds.

Senor Votto

I thought he died or something from the title

Albeit forced, I hope you enjoy retirement Hal.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He's legally blind? Never knew that.

I know lots of people here don't care for Hal, but it does suck to be forced into retirement from a job you love.

That's a shame. I thought the DDN may make some cuts in their coverage but I sure thought Hal was safe. I could see him blogging but without direct access to the players it would be tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

That's a shame. I love Hal; he's been an excellent baseball writer through the years and I will miss him. The man loves the game, and it came through in how, and what, he wrote.
    sorry we're boring

Is anyone else having trouble with the DDN page that was linked? The ads and header are there but the area where it looks like the post should be is all white. Can anyone post the text?

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble with the DDN page that was linked? The ads and header are there but the area where it looks like the post should be is all white. Can anyone post the text?
    The hammer fell today and it hurts like hell.

They’re putting the ol’ baseball scribe out to pasture and if there are teardrops on your screen, well, that’s from me, just an old softie.

My run is over - 37 years of bliss, doing a job that wasn’t a job. It was pure joy and pure fun.

And I wanted you, all my loyal readers and followers over the past 3 1/2 decades, to be the first to know. The run is nearly over.

The newspaper told me today that it will no longer cover the Cincinnati Reds the same way it has in the past, beginning next season. And don’t blame the paper. It is the economic times and we’re all suffering. They just can’t afford the more than a quarter of a million dollars a year to send me coast-to-coast.

The Dayton Daily News has been nothing but great to me. How many companies would keep a legally blind employee and furnish that employee with a driver and/or a car service to get him to and from games? The paper did that for me and it certainly didn’t have to do it.

The DDN didn’t have to do that, but it did and I’m so forever grateful, just as I am for the 37 years they permitted me to do what I love to do so much.

So it is off to retirement after this season ends. It isn’t early retirement. I’m 68, soon to be 69. But it isn’t something I want to do. I feel like I still have my fastball at the keyboard and can deal with the curves thrown my way.

I feel as if my fingers have been cut off, but the economic times are harsh and I understand and I’m not angry. I just feel as if something good has ended prematurely, something I’m not completely ready to accept, but must.

It was a great run and I thank all of your from the bottom of this decrepit old heart for feeding me the energy to keep doing what I love to do.

I’ll miss the feedback from all of you. I’ll miss going to the ballpark every day, seeing something every week that I never saw before. I’ll miss so many friends I’ve made doing this job. I’ll miss my peers in the press box and the so many people in baseball who have crossed my path and have been so great to me.

I’ll miss sitting down at the laptop every day and reporting on the Reds and major-league baseball. I would list them, but it would longer than George Carlin’s list of words you can’t say on television and even then I’d miss too many people who have been part of my career.

Right now I’m on the back patio, enjoying a Tangueray and tonic with my beautiful and supportive wife, Nadine. I’m sure it is the first of many tonight, so I wanted to get this down before I became incoherent.

My miniature schnauzer, Barkley, is looking at me wondering why his old man is sniffling. Well, it’s time to get out the old scrapbooks and read of better times.

So many times over the year, I’ve dealt with surly ballplayers who never saw hello until it’s time to say goodbye.

I’ll finish the season covering the Reds and baseball, the last hurrah, then say my final goodbyes. They’re putting me out to pasture. I only wish it was center field.

Thanks Cincrazy!

Ouch.
    Time is really moving on.
    Hal McKoy has entertained me for many years.
    Thanks Hal

I wish he could have covered another winning season. Hal is a good man and a good writer. The DDN will be lesser without him.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

its a sad day.. i have read Hal's articles/and now blog since i was darn geesh 16 years old!! I hope he writes a book.. He prb has many many stories he never shared that would make us laugh..

Just terribly sad news.

Hal is one of a kind, a great writer, who could have made a great career in the literary world had he chose, and a great lover of baseball.

He also is one of the truly funniest men alive. I was lucky enough to spend a night years ago with him at a bar in St. Louis. He spent much of it telling the dirtiest and funniest Marge Schott jokes I have ever heard. And even when he wasn't telling jokes, he had a very quick wit and could turn any statement anyone made into something funny.

I hope he is able to continue with a blog, or in someway, if not, he will be sorely missed. I wish him nothing but the best.

Thanks Hal!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?