Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Lasik

Anybody had it?

Feedback?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lasik

My wife had it done about 10 years ago and has never had any complaints. I am sure that they have made numerous advances in the laser technology since then.

She had absolutely horrific vision (20/400); in fact, her doctor joked with that her next prescription "would be a German Shepherd..."

There are alot of laser clinics out there that are pushing these procedures on people who are not viable candidates. Don't let any doctor try to talk you into it without ensuring you are a good "match" for the procedure (retinal thickness, size of pupil, etc...)

Good luck!
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Had mine done about 7 years ago. Best money I ever spent.

If you're a candidate, you want to walk through the decision with your regular eye doctor and get a referral from him/her. Then the timing of everything is important, because if you can do it through a flex med spending plan through your employer/health insurance, you'll save a ton of money. Set everything up so that you cover all of it pre-tax. My lasik doc rolled everything into one price. The ads you see for $399/eye don't factor in all of the pre and post-op visits.

The best thing is that after the surgery, they give you some drugs to take when you get home so that you basically sleep for most of the first 24 hours. I got into bed at 1:30 in the afternoon and didn't wake up until my wife woke me up on her way to work at 8:30 the next morning. 19 hours of deep, uninterrupted glorious sleep.

My wife had to wait until after our daughter was born and she was done nursing. Female vision can change during pregnancy, so they wouldn't do my wife's surgery until after that was over.

Most folks can be corrected to 20/20, then it's a matter of how your eye heals as to whether you are 20/20, 20/30, etc. I healed to 20/15, and my wife healed to 20/10.

Aging will slowly change your eyes over time, so having lasik won't necessarily keep you from having to get reading / night driving glasses later in life. But if your eye doc says lasik is a viable option, then by all means pursue it.

PM me if you want any more info.

My wife had it. She's VERY happy with the results.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I had it done last summer. I've been happy with the results but as mentioned above you won't necessarily be 20/20, some will be better, others a little worse. I would recommend it but it's also not necessarily a pain-free experience. For various reasons I was unable to get much sleep after I returned home from the surgery and the ensuing few hours were extremely uncomfortable.

I'm far from an expert but what I had done was called monovision, which focuses 1 eye for close vision and the other for distance, it was not the only option but the best at my age (44). I will still need reading glasses at some point and my distance vision is not perfect. I notice that my wife, who wears glasses, is able to read highway signs before I can and others can see golf balls in the distance that I can't see. After more than 25 years of contacts and glasses it has allowed me to go without those.

I think it's important to know that there are options and that not everybody goes to 20/20 or better. I would definitely do the research before hand. Good luck
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Like Blimpie's wife, my vision is pretty bad (-7.5 in each eye). When I spoke to the eye doctor several years ago, in fact, I was barely in the window for a viable candidate -- vision bordering on too bad, though again they've made advances since then -- but I was a great candidate at the time because my eyes were healthy enough for it.

I'm a huge cheapskate and have a very weak stomach; I faint very easily. So the idea of paying a large sum of money to have elective surgery has always just been out of the question to me. But I'm not getting any younger, my vision's not getting any better, and I'm starting to have astigmatism, so I'm afraid of my option for this going away completely if I wait. The pre-tax thing is an option for me right now and won't be forever. And I've really never heard any horror stories at all.

Any of you/your wives have any side effects afterward? Double vision/glare/dry eye? How about pain after the surgery? Did you/your wives have both eyes done at once or one at a time? And -- this is going to sound insane, I know, but it's my big fear -- they don't knock you out completely, right? So how do they ensure that you don't move while they're doing the surgery and send a laser in the wrong place? Like, say, your brain? One word of this is probably enough to scare me away...but if you all say it's worth it, I'm keeping it on my radar.

Thanks again for the help. This board is perpetually my source of impartial advice

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    I'm far from an expert but what I had done was called monovision, which focuses 1 eye for close vision and the other for distance, it was not the only option but the best at my age (44).
    Whoa. So do your eyes not...see the same things?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Any of you/your wives have any side effects afterward? Double vision/glare/dry eye? How about pain after the surgery? Did you/your wives have both eyes done at once or one at a time? And -- this is going to sound insane, I know, but it's my big fear -- they don't knock you out completely, right? So how do they ensure that you don't move while they're doing the surgery and send a laser in the wrong place? Like, say, your brain? One word of this is probably enough to scare me away...but if you all say it's worth it, I'm keeping it on my radar.

Thanks again for the help. This board is perpetually my source of impartial advice
    I have had minor problems with dry eyes, I was given a couple different kind of drops to use for a few weeks and there are over the counter drops you can use if necessary. They do not knock you out but they do attach a suction type device to your eye to hold it in place. I think most people have very good success with the procedure, I would just hate to tell you there are no uncomfortable moments and then have that not be the case. It was definitely worth it though.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Whoa. So do your eyes not...see the same things?
    no, it's not something you can notice. I'm into territory that I'm not qualified to say too much on beyond what I've said already. Somebody else may be able to better explain it

I had it done. No problems at all.

My prescription was actually 20/1600.

When fans ask me when I am umpiring "Ump are you blind?" I could always answer that yes, legally I am!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I had Lasik done 3 years ago in June. There was about one day of discomfort, for which I heartily recommend using your doctor's recommended pain medicine.

Mine said to take Tylenol PM as soon as I got home, which enabled me to sleep through the first few hours of discomfort. I kept my eyes closed and just listened to the radio most of the rest of that day.

I also had the aforementioned dry eyes, which necessitated the use of drops a few times a day for about 3 months.

My vision was very good the day of the surgery, but night driving seemed a little weird for a few months after the surgery. I don't do much of that, so it wasn't a big issue. Around the 1-year mark, I realized the issues with night driving weren't noticeable at all.
    /r/reds

I had it done about 2 years ago. I see better than 20/20 now. However, I'm in my 40's and my reading vision is a little worse, but that comes with age and you really can't do too much about that. I can get by without reading glasses, but they come in handy when reading small print like food label ingrediants and the fine print in advertising. (no wonder elderly peoople get snookered, they can't read the small print)

Right after the surgery, I went directly home and followed the instructions to the letter. I might of went overboard, I didn't want to risk an infection.

I was actually considering this until my former boss had it done. He was telling us all about it a few days later and said everything was fine until he realized that the slight burning smell he sensed was HIS EYE! Anyone else ever notice a smell? Also do they give you a Valium or anything before? I'd have to take three just to get in the door.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

My neighbors and friends have had it done. One was initially disappointed because her eyes were dry and her vision wasn't as good as she thought it would be, but then it got better as the eye healed. One neighbor suffered through sever eye pain and had to wear dark glasses for a week, but now seems to be fine. The third had no problems and loved it. I haven't had it done because I see fine with my glasses and the doctors in my family have always said, "Always avoid surgery if you can. Once they start cutting, it's never the same." So I'd say that if your eyesight is really bad and getting worse, the potential benefit certainly outweighs the risks. However, if it's merely cosmetic because you hate reading glasses, talk to a doctor about the potential risks to make sure they don't outweigh the benefits.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Best money I ever spent. Would have paid twice as much knowing what I know now. I see better than I ever did with glasses or contacts.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?