Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Lasik

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    He was telling us all about it a few days later and said everything was fine until he realized that the slight burning smell he sensed was HIS EYE! Anyone else ever notice a smell?
    Yep. I made that connection during the procedure. It's similar to the smell that occurs when the dentist drills a tooth.

Also do they give you a Valium or anything before? I'd have to take three just to get in the door.
    Yep, I wasn't really nervous, but I accepted the Valium they offered. I think the Valium made it harder to for me to stay mentally focused and follow the doctor's directions during the procedure.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

My dad had it done and loves it.

Kathy Griffin is one of the more famous horror stories that you read about... she had it done and is now basically blind in one eye. They've gone back and done additional work on her eyes a few times. What a nightmare that would be.

My cousin is one of the few people who has said she wouldn't do lasik if she had it to do over again. Her complaints are with halos at night. Strange part is that she works for an opthomologist who, I am sure, gave her a reference to the best surgeon in the area.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Everyone I've known who's had it done in Cincinnati's gone to the place in Kenwood @ the corner of Kenwood & Montgomery that looks like (you guessed it) a big eye.

No complaints, nothing but praise.

I have astigmatism in my left eye, and that's something lasik can correct nowadays, so I'm considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    I was actually considering this until my former boss had it done. He was telling us all about it a few days later and said everything was fine until he realized that the slight burning smell he sensed was HIS EYE! Anyone else ever notice a smell? Also do they give you a Valium or anything before? I'd have to take three just to get in the door.
    The laser doesn't actually burn the cornea. But when it comes into contact with the cornea, the interaction results in a chemical reaction that creates that "burning" smell. Without going into a long detailed explanation, it's essentially the breaking of molecular bonds that hold the cornea together causing the smell.

I had it done 6 years ago using my flexible spending account from work. Ended up with 20/15 vision in both eyes, better than contacts could ever do. All I can say is that it was like the day I bought my HDTV and watched my first HD program. It was like High Definition life! I could see thing like I never thought possible.

3 things.... burning smells like burnt hair. You will smell this the entire day of the procedure. There is a possibility of dry eye and night hallows. I had the dry eye for about a year after the procedure, but it subsided. Still have a slight hallow, but not as bad as day one.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

I have some halos afterwards...but I could care less after the improvement. I actually had PRK done on 1 eye (worse eye) and Lasik on another. PRK gets better results but takes longer post-op to heal up and get the improved vision. My doc said the opthamal docs all get the PRK themselves...something to think about. This was 5 years ago though.

Truly a remarkable procedure...if you have the cash...do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    However, if it's merely cosmetic because you hate reading glasses, talk to a doctor about the potential risks to make sure they don't outweigh the benefits.
    Quite the contrary, my glasses are so tremendously awesome that I'm loathe to give them up. If I do have this done, I almost hope I still need reading glasses so I can replace the lenses and keep them

The feedback is all great, thank you again. Had no idea about the "burning" smell...I'd have to make sure I'm psychologically prepared to deal with that. I'm still on the fence. What do the "halos" look like exactly? Are they so prominent that they prevent you from focusing on anything else?

Also, what's PRK?
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 08-09-2009 at 08:06 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Not sure if PRK is the same thing, but I had RK 15 years ago. They used a scalpel. You watch his hand move in with the knife and a little starburst happens when he makes the incision.

Like cutting a pizza. Four cuts on each eye. They wanted to do one a day, but I talked them into doing both at once. Only took about 15 minutes, once I got in the operating room. Walked out 20-20 in both eyes. It was a miracle.

Since then, I've had to get reading glasses, which just happens as you get older. And as we all know, and I'm told relentlessly here, I'm getting older. Than dirt. Get off my lawn.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I switched to these two years ago. After a frustrating adjustment period, I'm very happy with them.

LASIK is a wonderful procedure and I have nothing against it. I may even still do it in the future. I just couldn't afford it at the time and the corneal refractive therapy lenses have given me similar results at a fraction of the cost. Just know there are ways to avoid wearing glasses or lenses during the day and still get vision correction without surgery.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Not sure if PRK is the same thing, but I had RK 15 years ago. They used a scalpel. You watch his hand move in with the knife and a little starburst happens when he makes the incision.

Like cutting a pizza. Four cuts on each eye. They wanted to do one a day, but I talked them into doing both at once. Only took about 15 minutes, once I got in the operating room. Walked out 20-20 in both eyes. It was a miracle.

Since then, I've had to get reading glasses, which just happens as you get older. And as we all know, and I'm told relentlessly here, I'm getting older. Than dirt. Get off my lawn.
    But the important question is are you putting senior shafts in your irons yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    But the important question is are you putting senior shafts in your irons yet?

HELL no. Still play a Pro VI and swing stiff shafts, literally and figuratively.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

This about made me pass out.

I had lasik almost 10 years ago. I had some issues with dry eye in my left eye and have issues with starbursts with a bright light source against a dark background(headlights and streetlights at night). The starburst are due to the fact my pupils ar slightly larger than normal. I would still do it again.

My advice would be to discuss potential issues and ask for some visual examples of what certain conditions may cause. Don't have it done unless you are completely comfortable with the procedure itself and potential side effects.

Turn Off Ads?