Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Assuming he shows no improvement, what should be done with Homer Bailey next year?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • He stays in the 2010 rotation

57 65.52%
  • Put him in the bullpen

18 20.69%
  • Trade him

9 10.34%
  • DFA him (send him down/expose him to waivers)

0 0%
  • Who cares? I'm sick of hearing about him

3 3.45%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Homer Bailey

Homer Bailey currently has an ERA of 7.06. While he is young and must take his lumps, it is debatable as to whether or not he's even showing improvement. While his upside has always been there, I believe he MUST show SOME improvement if he is to be counted on whatsoever going forward. Whether or not we buy it, the Rolen trade indicates the Reds front office wants to compete in 2010.

So my question is this- If Homer Bailey doesn't lower his ERA below 6.00 by the end of the season, what should be done with him? At what point do you forego his upside for the sake of the team?
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-07-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey

What are the choices? He's out of options after this season, right? He either sticks in the majors with the Reds in 2010 or he's gone. I think Walt will give him every opportunity to stick in the rotation next year.

You throw him out there in 2010 and hope he pitches better.

Considering his arb and options situation that's the only real thing you can do, outside of trading him for very little return.

High five!

I'd primarily like to see him shave a walk off his BB/9 and add a strikeout to his K/9 over his remaining starts.

Oh, and go back and time and have the Reds stop screwing him up.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You throw him out there in 2010 and hope he pitches better.

Considering his arb and options situation that's the only real thing you can do, outside of trading him for very little return.
    I used to agree with this, but he must show some kind of improvement before I'm ready to watch this every fifth day for a full season. Sure, young pitchers will take their lumps but they have to show improvement. Otherwise at a certain point, a lemon is just a lemon. Even the JimBo-led Reds realized this a few years ago with Brandon Claussen.
    Go BLUE!!!

Dusty thinks Homer is close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I used to agree with this, but he must show some kind of improvement before I'm ready to watch this every fifth day for a full season. At a certain point, a lemon is just a lemon. Even the JimBo-led Reds realized this a few years ago with Brandon Claussen.

Are we really to that point with Homer? He's still a baby in terms of a pitcher's growth.. 22 right?

I just really fear that the way the Reds absolutely screwed the pooch on his arb clock that he'll put it together a couple years after he leaves Cincy.

Of course, maybe he puts it together BECAUSE he leaves Cincinnati. There's a depressing thought for you.

We have seen some flashes from Homer this season...

Assuming he doesn't show enough to make the rotation in spring training, I'd put him in the bullpen. If the Yankees can put Hughes and Joba in the pen; the Mets put Parnell in the pen; the Sox put Masterson in the pen ... it shouldn't hurt and could help Homer.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I think you let him start in spring training.... but plan on putting him in the bullpen to start the year. Hopefully we will have signed some more established pitchers that start the year in the rotation with the better chance to succeed.

Bailey can likely pitch well out of the pen, perhaps be an asset, so I don't consider that to be a gamble of the roster spot in any sense. When injuries arise, or if Bailey shows something that would suggest he's ready to overtake a member of the rotation, you give him that chance. But no freebies.... putting up an ERA of 7 the rest of the way should in no way provide him the opportunity of a free spot in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Assuming he doesn't show enough to make the rotation in spring training, I'd put him in the bullpen. If the Yankees can put Hughes and Joba in the pen; the Mets put Parnell in the pen; the Sox put Masterson in the pen ... it shouldn't hurt and could help Homer.
    He's never pitched out of the pen before and the Reds have said time and again that they aren't going to do that. I think they should but I also think that ship has sailed.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm definitely on board with putting him in the pen if he can't get it together as a starter by next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So my question is this- If Homer Bailey doesn't lower his ERA below 6.00 by the end of the season, what should be done with him? At what point do you forego his upside for the sake of the team?
    I'm not sure why any decision must be prefaced by whether Homer's ERA is above or below 6.00.

It's simple in my view. The Reds should rid themselves of Homer when doing so makes them better.

There are probably numerous scenarios where they wouldn't actually be better and numerous scenarios where they would be better...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He's never pitched out of the pen before and the Reds have said time and again that they aren't going to do that. I think they should but I also think that ship has sailed.
    The Reds don't do a lot of things that winning organizations do.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

nm
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-07-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The Reds don't do a lot of things that winning organizations do.
    Amen.

Turn Off Ads?