Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Assuming he shows no improvement, what should be done with Homer Bailey next year?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • He stays in the 2010 rotation

57 65.52%
  • Put him in the bullpen

18 20.69%
  • Trade him

9 10.34%
  • DFA him (send him down/expose him to waivers)

0 0%
  • Who cares? I'm sick of hearing about him

3 3.45%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Re: Homer Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Because the 5.8 K/9, 5.0 BB/9, and the 1.55 WHIP is really knocking my socks off
    Plus, since when did you have to dissect a 7.09 ERA? That's hit-you-in-the-face-with-an-oar awful.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Plus, since when did you have to dissect a 7.09 ERA? That's hit-you-in-the-face-with-an-oar awful.
    The ERA is not important. He has a new pitch.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Let him pitch. His future is now up to him.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Remember when Bailey was pitching very well this spring, and some questioned whether this was year that he finally put it all together, and he could possibly be the final piece of the rotation puzzle that lead the Reds to the playoffs this year?

Yeah, me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    The ERA is not important. He has a new pitch.
    Meet the new pitch, same as the old pitch.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Will Pujols be fooled again?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Not nearly often enough. No one else is ... except for people voting in this poll.

You haven't been following closely enough. He has a splitter now. A splitter!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Is Pujols ever fooled?

Homer will be lucky to post 100 innings with the Reds this season.

There is no need to force a decision on Homer this off season given he won't even have 200 innings in the majors, the Reds rotation doesn't exactly look like it will have a line of arms seriously contending for a spot, and the Reds look to be long shots in 2010 at best.

Generally pitchers should have to kick the door down to get to dance. Homer has been mismanaged but given Homer's lack of options and the general lack of quality arms in the high minors behind him, really someone should have to kick the door both down and onto Homer's head IMHO.

Like I said, unless trading him is results in a clear, meaningful improvement for the Reds, it's not yet time to give up IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think focusing upon whether Homer has an ERA of 7 or 6 is as arbitrary as it gets when deciding upon the role of a pitcher and the direction of an organization.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Homer will be lucky to post 100 innings with the Reds this season.

There is no need to force a decision on Homer this off season given he won't even have 200 innings in the majors, the Reds rotation doesn't exactly look like it will have a line of arms seriously contending for a spot, and the Reds look to be long shots in 2010 at best.

Generally pitchers should have to kick the door down to get to dance. Homer has been mismanaged but given Homer's lack of options and the general lack of quality arms in the high minors behind him, really someone should have to kick the door both down and onto Homer's head IMHO.

Like I said, unless trading him is results in a clear, meaningful improvement for the Reds, it's not yet time to give up IMHO.
    Wouldn't replacing a 7.06 ERA in the rotation (even with a 6.06 ERA) make for a clear, meaningful improvement?

No one is saying he shouldn't pitch out the rest of this lost season. But if he can't put up an ERA under 7.00 (let alone 6.00), anything- and I mean ANYTHING- would be a meaningful improvement over him.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think focusing upon whether Homer has an ERA of 7 or 6 is as arbitrary as it gets when deciding upon the role of a pitcher and the direction of an organization.
    I think it's criminal to hand a pitcher that bad a job.

My take is he's got until the end of this season to show signs of life and if he doesn't then the Reds are honor bound to find better pitchers.

Not if the only goal for Homer is to see improvement.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think it's criminal to hand a pitcher that bad a job.

My take is he's got until the end of this season to show signs of life and if he doesn't then the Reds are honor bound to find better pitchers.
    I'd like to see them find better pitchers regardless of how Homer finishes this season.

Turn Off Ads?