Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Assuming he shows no improvement, what should be done with Homer Bailey next year?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • He stays in the 2010 rotation

57 65.52%
  • Put him in the bullpen

18 20.69%
  • Trade him

9 10.34%
  • DFA him (send him down/expose him to waivers)

0 0%
  • Who cares? I'm sick of hearing about him

3 3.45%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Re: Homer Bailey

I see some signs of improvement, too, redsmetz. Pitching doesn't always come together on the fan's time table. He is still young and I think he is getting better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Provided he shows improvement, especially with Volquez down for the majority of 2010, and with the uncertainty of keeping Arroyo/Harang, there's no way you cut bait on Bailey.

And I misread. No improvement, try to get a nibble if you can....no nibble, stick him in the pen.
    He is showing improvements. It just takes time for it all to come together. Since his start against Cleveland in the end of June in which he walked 7 batters, Homer has not walked more than 2 batters a game, with the exception of a 4 walk start against the Brewers.

We need to temper our expectations out of Homer a little bit. They guy has shown better command as of late. I also wonder if the addition of Rolen at 3b will effect him much. His biggest issue right now is to throw more strikes, which he has been doing. Once he harnesses his control watch out. I give him this season and then all of next season before I make any kind of judgment.

I think that Bailey has showed some improvement while trying to pitch for a bad team in a pitcher unfriendly park while knowing in the back of his mind that he is always one bad game from being sent back down. Often though without the names or stats I can’t tell the difference between Owings, Cueto, or a Bailey on the mound.

I suspect that the younger pitching will continue to be trading chips for Mr. Jocketty (does he really have other to trade?) and the Reds organization and that some of this young pitching might be served well career wise by a change of scenery to an organization that has good fortune developing young pitching.

I just don’t see how anyone can adequately evaluate the pitchers who pitch for the Reds with their defense, offense, lack of overall talent playing behind them in that ballpark. Would any of us be shocked if a pitcher left the Reds to another organization and performed better ?

Build a time machine and undo calling him up in 2007.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The difference is that Bailey is 2 years older than Maddux was, has significantly more major league experience (>50 IP) and has significantly worse results (worse ERA, K/9, BB/9) than Maddux did in 1987.

If Bailey can pull his ERA under 6.00 by the end of the year I'd agree with you that he is showing improvement and we should bear with him.

However if he doesn't...
    Can't do anything about his age or experience. That's on the Reds for trashing his development timeline. The ERA is probably closer than we think if adjusted for era.

It's not a perfect comp, but Like I said, start him all year and they will know by next september if he's worth keeping.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Can't do anything about his age or experience. That's on the Reds for trashing his development timeline. The ERA is probably closer than we think if adjusted for era.

It's not a perfect comp, but Like I said, start him all year and they will know by next september if he's worth keeping.
    At some point the team has to stop abusing its fans.

If, during the final two months of this season, he's no better than he has been to date, then handing him a rotation slot in 2010 is essentially a white flag move. It would send the message that awarding jobs on merit is out the window and that fans will just have to endure the misery of watching this kid get beaten around on a regular basis.

My take is the Reds and Reds fans have an unhealthy relationship with Homer Bailey. The cord could stand a good severing, otherwise the maudlin melodrama will continue.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Isn't the ERA always closer than we think if adjusted for ERA? :

And if he's not, then we only sacrificed Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke in order to find out.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    At some point the team has to stop abusing its fans.

If, during the final two months of this season, he's no better than he has been to date, then handing him a rotation slot in 2010 is essentially a white flag move. It would send the message that awarding jobs on merit is out the window and that fans will just have to endure the misery of watching this kid get beaten around on a regular basis.

My take is the Reds and Reds fans have an unhealthy relationship with Homer Bailey. The cord could stand a good severing, otherwise the maudlin melodrama will continue.
    Yep. If he doesn't get his ERA under 6.00 in 2009, he's either traded or in the pen in 2010.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Sure we've had pitchers who didn't pan out, who never really made good. Certainly the OP can set up his poll however he likes, but I disagree with his original assumption, that Bailey won't improve. I think he has already.
    If you can't put up an ERA under 6.00 in over 100 innings over the course of a ML season, you simply don't belong in the major leagues (let alone in a major league rotation.)

If he can improve enough to get over that (not so lofty) hurdle, then I'm willing to have a little more patience.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-07-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

rotation. I don't think he's too far off at this point. By next year, I think he'll at the very least be a viable fifth starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    rotation. I don't think he's too far off at this point. By next year, I think he'll at the very least be a viable fifth starter.
    So the Reds will have three #5's next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    So the Reds will have three #5's next year.
    Welcome to the last decade!
    Go BLUE!!!

He'll probably be in the rotation unless payroll is freed up by trading Arroyo and Harang.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I voted for the wrong thing accidentally.... but you put him in your rotation. He may be very Kyle Lohse like in the sense that you will get your good and bad nights, but I think he is going to be ok overall next year (and even the rest of this year). It seems like in his bad games he tends to make one mistake pitch and it always gets him.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    To me the real question being posed here, is that assuming Bailey has not been moved on to another organization coming into next season, what do you do with the guy if he still hasn't shown the ability to be a respectable rotation member?
    I think you pitch him #5 until you have a better option for #5. The better option then forces your hand.

Given his age and potential, I think your hand is one of the following: 1) bullpen to buy time, 2) bullpen with the intent of changing his role, 3) try to trade him.

In my opinion, options 1 and 3 are preferable to option 2 because option 2 guts his value.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?