Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Assuming he shows no improvement, what should be done with Homer Bailey next year?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • He stays in the 2010 rotation

57 65.52%
  • Put him in the bullpen

18 20.69%
  • Trade him

9 10.34%
  • DFA him (send him down/expose him to waivers)

0 0%
  • Who cares? I'm sick of hearing about him

3 3.45%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Re: Homer Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Welcome to the last decade!
    I was hoping we were actually trying to begin a new decade. One where the Reds actually put a quality team on the field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cueto, Harang and a bunch of #5s. Sounds like a winner.

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    At some point the team has to stop abusing its fans.

If, during the final two months of this season, he's no better than he has been to date, then handing him a rotation slot in 2010 is essentially a white flag move. It would send the message that awarding jobs on merit is out the window and that fans will just have to endure the misery of watching this kid get beaten around on a regular basis.

My take is the Reds and Reds fans have an unhealthy relationship with Homer Bailey. The cord could stand a good severing, otherwise the maudlin melodrama will continue.
    You're going to make organizational changes based on the feelings of the fans? Wow, that's a sure fire way to win it all. Homer has been up and down so many times in his young career we haven't seen him for an extended time. He needs at least a year of solid big league time before you can judge him on improvement. Fans want instant results, so you have to stay stubborn with your plan and not be so soft to the fans' whining. If you win, the fans will come. I don't think the majority of fans have soured on Homer, and I have been delighted in the change I have seen with him in the last couple of months. Just because his stats aren't great at the moment doesn't mean he isn't learning and improving. A small market team cannot afford to cut ties with young talent that they have under control for a few more years just because.

The Reds should plan on him being in the rotation next year and he has to show improvement, but he is already headed in the right direction. Big market teams can afford to put prospects in the bullpen and try to groom them that way, but they have money to replace those prospects in the rotation until they feel they are ready. It just won't help the Reds to throw out a 5th starter who isn't going to be an improvement over Homer for the sake of sending Homer to the bullpen. The Reds don't have the money to do it, and even if they trade away one of the contracts then they will have yet another rotation hole to fill.

All in all, I just don't see any reason the Reds would be better off without Bailey in the Rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think you pitch him #5 until you have a better option for #5. The better option then forces your hand.
    I can't imagine it's too difficult to find a retread that can give you (even just a little bit) better than a 7.09 ERA. Dan O isn't running this team anymore.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Cueto, Harang and a bunch of #5s. Sounds like a winner.
    With the way they have been pitching over the last month, isn't "Cueto, Harang and a bunch of #5s" redundant?

Man I'm really starting to sound like FCB
    Go BLUE!!!

With the way they have been pitching over the last month, isn't "Cueto, Harang and a bunch of #5s" redundant.
    Good point.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can't imagine it's too difficult to find a retread that can give you (even just a little bit) better than a 7.09 ERA. Dan O isn't running this team anymore.
    You say that, then forget that the current guy brought in Wily Taveras....

If all one cares about is ERA, then it's probably an easy decision.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If the Reds don't plan on contending next year then by all means hand him a rotation spot. If they actually want to compete for the division and the playoffs then it would behoove them to find better starters.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If all one cares about is ERA, then it's probably an easy decision.
    Because the 5.8 K/9, 5.0 BB/9, and the 1.55 WHIP is really knocking my socks off
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thanks for the salt. It feels really good in this open wound.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wily Taveras could put up an ERA better than 7.09
    Go BLUE!!!

Because the 5.8 K/9, 5.0 BB/9, and the 1.55 WHIP is really knocking my socks off
    If it was just about ERA, K/9 or WHIP we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    You're going to make organizational changes based on the feelings of the fans?
    No, I'm just saying a lot of fans have a dysfunctional relationship with Homer Bailey and they're clearly unable to recognize when it's over.

If he's going to continue being a garbage pitcher in the majors, then he shouldn't be in the rotation. Period.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Keep him in the rotation. The numbers may not reflect it right now, but I think Homer Bailey has made some fairly big strides this season. His velocity is back, his curve appears to be back to where it was three years ago, and he's added another pitch in the splitter. His problem right now is inconsistent command/control. As he showed against the Cardinals and Phillies, when his command is on, he can be dominant.

Turn Off Ads?