Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 7th Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet (Juan Francisco at #3)

August 7th Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet (Juan Francisco at #3)

No. 3 JUAN FRANCISCO, 3B, REDS

Team: Double-A Carolina (Southern)
    Why He's Here: .429/.484/.857 (12-for-28), 3 HR, 3 2B, 9 RBIs, 2 BB, 6 SO
    The Scoop: Usually, Double-A is the level where a power hitter with a free-swinging tendency finds his old approach no longer works. Just ask Greg Halman. But Francisco has managed to hold his own in the Southern League, despite his tendency to start swing at pitches when he's standing in the on-deck circle. He leads the league with 22 home runs and is hitting .341/.386/.659 since the all-star break. Francisco has walked only 19 times in 408 at-bats (4.5 percent of plate appearances), but that's actually the best walk rate of his career, and he's cut his strikeout rate as well. He's very unlikely to stick at third base long-term thanks to his size and a newfound problem with errors (his 35 this year gives him an ugly .863 fielding percentage), but his raw power is as impressive as anyone in the minors not named Mike Stanton.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268665.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: August 7th Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet (Juan Francisco at #3)

despite his tendency to start swing at pitches when he's standing in the on-deck circle.

Line of the day

Is he a future 1B/DH? If so, trade him now. Following princeton's thought, is it too late to give him catcher's gear?

Hes on our 40 man. His time is running out. He looks like a future pinch hitter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Is he a future 1B/DH? If so, trade him now. Following princeton's thought, is it too late to give him catcher's gear?
    princeton's thought? princeton's thought?

I've been saying that for almost two years!!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    princeton's thought? princeton's thought?

I've been saying that for almost two years!!
    I should have included you as well, sorry. I think he still has you though. He's wanted to convert a big chunk of the minor leaguers to catchers or pitchers for a long time. IIRC, he wanted Janish to pitch when he was at Billings.

I should have included you as well, sorry. I think he still has you though. He's wanted to convert a big chunk of the minor leaguers to catchers or pitchers for a long time. IIRC, he wanted Janish to pitch when he was at Billings.
    Fair enough. IIRC he wanted to convert Todd Frazier to a catcher. My candidate has always been Francisco. Regardless, I was just busting your chops.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Fair enough. IIRC he wanted to convert Todd Frazier to a catcher. My candidate has always been Francisco. Regardless, I was just busting your chops.
    Oh, I know. For the record, I honestly don't know if he's pushed for Francisco as well. It fits his thoughts on how to improve the lack of depth there though. Frazier for sure, you are correct.

I wouldn't trade Francisco just now. It's taken him awhile to break in against AA pitching, my guess is that his numbers get better and better as this year continues and into next year. Then a decision will have to be made whether to keep him or trade him.

I've been touting Francisco for awhile and i think he's been badly underrated around here. He is still very young but he eventually breaks through at every level and uses his prodigious power effectively. He has a huge upside.

I can't wait for this off-season when folks are voting for the top minor leaguers and people want to push him behind other prospects who may walk more but don't produce nearly as much.

A .300 OBP and tons of errors limit his production quite a bit though. If we are only looking at HRs, then yes, he's the man. That said, I like Francisco too. I also see a lot of upside with him. But if he truly is destined to be a 1B/DH, then they have to trade him while his value is still high.

A .300 OBP and tons of errors limit his production quite a bit though. If we are only looking at HRs, then yes, he's the man. That said, I like Francisco too. I also see a lot of upside with him. But if he truly is destined to be a 1B/DH, then they have to trade him while his value is still high.
    If Francisco can keep his OBP in the .320 or better range, I think he has the power to be a consistent .80O plus OPS player. Right now his OBP is .313 which isn't too bad and it's headed in the correct direction. His defense is a concern, presumably he will find a position if he continues to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Francisco can keep his OBP in the .320 or better range, I think he has the power to be a consistent .80O plus OPS player. Right now his OBP is .313 which isn't too bad and it's headed in the correct direction. His defense is a concern, presumably he will find a position if he continues to hit.
    No doubt. The problem is if that position is 1B or worse, DH. The Reds have no room for him there. If he can play LF, that works. But it seems like I read he won't make much an outfielder though. I could be wrong on that.

I wouldn't be so anxious to move Francisco off of third yet. I know that he has 35 errors already, but he "only" had 17 last year. That raises a red flag to me. I know that I have read on here that Carolina's playing surface is less than stellar; even Cozart, a recognized plus glove, has an abnormal amount of errors for Carolina this year. I'm not saying that he is a gold glover over there, but *hopefully* it's not as bad as it looks.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

as I recall, I posted about moving Frazier to catcher for a year or so before Benihana offered up Francisco as an alternative.

honestly, who knew that the Reds liked their young third base prospects so much that they'd go out and get Rolen?
    2015, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    as I recall, I posted about moving Frazier to catcher for a year or so before Benihana offered up Francisco as an alternative.

honestly, who knew that the Reds liked their young third base prospects so much that they'd go out and get Rolen?
    I give you that.

My point was that Francisco was my guy to move behind the plate.

I was joking in this thread anyway. Oh well
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?