Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cano clear waivers

Cano clear waivers

Sort of a surprise to me but Robinson Cano cleared waivers. http://www.nypost.com/seven/08082009...rwo_183567.htm I am not surprised he was put through obviously but just that no one put a claim in. I know he is not seen as highly as a couple of years back. I don't know how his defense is seen but he is a solid bat- not great with the walks but usually is around 120 in OPS+. He is signed at 9 mil for next year and 10 mil the year after.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...canoro01.shtml

Here's an eval of his defense from April.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2009/04/fie...son-cano-9620/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cano clear waivers

I can't believe no one would have claimed him. He's pretty good on defense, but nowhere near Phillips. I'd guess that's a little much to pay a guy like that, but I'm still surprised.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Hmm ..

Arroyo on Waivers (and a good bet for the rest of the year IMO) and Yanks with a need with Joba at his inning limit
    Cano clears waivers
    salaries offset
    talk of Phillips to SS

Hmm........
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hmm ..

Arroyo on Waivers (and a good bet for the rest of the year IMO) and Yanks with a need with Joba at his inning limit
    Cano clears waivers
    salaries offset
    talk of Phillips to SS

Hmm........
    I like the way you think.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    I like the way you think.
    Thanks. But I'm actually not sure I'd like it.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any motivation for the Yankees to trade Cano. Absolutely no reason. The salaries match, but the talent does not. And the Yankees have no one to put at second base (Hairston not withstanding) even if they were interested.

I think Cano's placement on waivers was to (as it often is with many of these players) shield teams from their intentions of someone else that probably got put there but not reported. Unless there's something I don't know about with his situation, the Yankees would not be motivated to trade him for any reason. Certainly not for Bronson Arroyo.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Thanks. But I'm actually not sure I'd like it.
    I think trading Bronson's salary for Cano and replacing Gonzalez's bat with Robinson's makes a big difference in the lineup with no increase in cost....with Alex's salary coming off next year it is actually a big net gain.

But Brutus makes a solid point....what would New York do for a 2b?
    Let's play two!!!

I think trading Bronson's salary for Cano and replacing Gonzalez's bat with Robinson's makes a big difference in the lineup with no increase in cost....with Alex's salary coming off next year it is actually a big net gain.

The Yankees have a line-up filled with All Stars. They can get by fine with some one like Hairston at 2B. They need at least one arm for the rotation right now. Joba is not going to start down the stretch. He's just about at his inning limit and a move to the pen will conserve his arm and make the pen pretty strong. Sergio Mitre has been knocked around and now they have Josh Towers possibly getting a shot. This team has CC, Burnett and Pettitte and after that its real thin. Arroyo has had his horrible stretch and is likely to be ok the rest of the way (don't look now, but he's the Reds' ace at this point). The Yanks have opened up some daylight, but Boston and Tampa Bay could both get hot and if the Yanks are struggling with two rotation spots the lead could dry up quickly.

I do agree with BTP that Arroyo could be had for much less than Cano and the Yankees probably wouldn't deal him, but the Reds do need Arroyo's innings for 2010 or they need to replace them with somebody better. If the Reds deal Arroyo for Cano, they really don't free up any money to address other needs. There is next to zero chance this happens. I was just throwing something out there for fun by combining these things that have been making news lately (Cano and Arroyo on/clearing Waivers and Phillips to SS). We could add another. Maybe the Reds add Todd Frazier to make it happen and that is why he's playing 2B lately. Still won't happen.

The Yankees will be adding a starter though IMO and they have already discussed Arroyo. Arroyo may be a pretty poor fit in that park so they probably look elsewhere and it won't be for Cano.

The Yankees wouldn't include Cano in a package for Johan Santana, I doubt they'd deal him for Harang or Arroyo. The Yankees, like most clubs, probably put most of their roster through waivers in case a great deal pops up. Cano has been one of their most consistent hitters. He's an okay defender, but has the reputation of being a little lazy in the field sometimes.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

JHJ, duh.

He's a difference maker, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    JHJ, duh.

He's a difference maker, after all.
    Again, I don't really think a deal is going to happen either, but the Yanks have Jeter, Damon, A-Rod, Tex, Matsui, Swisher ..... do you really think the offense will struggle by subbing Hairston for Cano?

OTOH, the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation are currently manned by a rehabbing Sergio Mitre and a Sarloosesque Josh Towers. I know everyone hates Arroyo, but he's a huge upgrade from that.

The Steinbrenner factor may say "do what it takes to win this year, future be damned. We'll buy a replacement in the offseason." George is old and in ill health. The family may not care much about the future until it becomes the present at which time they'll have enough cash to replenish whatever shortage is created.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Most players are put on waivers, and most clear, at this time of the year. It's pretty standard.

It's actually more suspicous when someone is claimed.

If there was any pending deal between the Reds and the Yankees over Cano, the Reds would have claimed him. Why risk someone else claiming him?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Most players are put on waivers, and most clear, at this time of the year. It's pretty standard.

It's actually more suspicous when someone is claimed.

If there was any pending deal between the Reds and the Yankees over Cano, the Reds would have claimed him. Why risk someone else claiming him?
    Agree, just throwing it out there. If I'm the Yankees, I'm very interested in Arroyo at this time. I wouldn't trade Cano for him, but I'd sure be considering just about any above replacement level starter right now.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Again, I don't really think a deal is going to happen either, but the Yanks have Jeter, Damon, A-Rod, Tex, Matsui, Swisher ..... do you really think the offense will struggle by subbing Hairston for Cano?

OTOH, the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation are currently manned by a rehabbing Sergio Mitre and a Sarloosesque Josh Towers. I know everyone hates Arroyo, but he's a huge upgrade from that.

The Steinbrenner factor may say "do what it takes to win this year, future be damned. We'll buy a replacement in the offseason." George is old and in ill health. The family may not care much about the future until it becomes the present at which time they'll have enough cash to replenish whatever shortage is created.
    I can't imagine $ is an issue for the Yankees, so I don't fully understand waiving Cano if you're going to keep him.

At this point of the season, I don't see them being concerned with Arroyo's contract and wanting the Reds to pick up some of the tab. I think the Yankees just want to stay atop the AL East.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I can't believe no one would have claimed him. He's pretty good on defense, but nowhere near Phillips. I'd guess that's a little much to pay a guy like that, but I'm still surprised.
    August waivers is a double-edged sword.... While Cano has rebounded nicely from last year's disaster, there is always the risk that the Yanks would just say, "he's yours!" and then the claiming team would be on the hook for a minimum of $21M of his remaining $50M contract.

To me, the interesting part of these things is that we're starting to get a little info that might inform player value in free agency this off season and how contracts might effect a player's trade value.

Cano has no dramatic platoon or H/A splits and is looking to be a 4 win second baseman over 600 PAs this year. No one was even hoping that the Yanks would give him to them.

Phillips and Cano probably have roughly similar trade value.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?