Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

23 33.33%
  • Nay

46 66.67%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

I pose this question as someone who admittedly liked the deal...

I say no and right now it would take a lot more production from him to change my mind.

Poll is yes or no. Pick a side, we're at war.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?

no
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Not right now, no. But by the end of his career, yes. He's going to end up at least as impressive as Brooks Robinson...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Not right now, no. But by the end of his career, yes. He's going to end up at least as impressive as Brooks Robinson...
    Well said.

Hall Of Famers are made during the end of their careers. Ask Dale Murphy.

If Rolen can continue close to this level of play for around 5 more years, then he will be one of the best thirdbasemen of all time, easily. He definitely will be one of the top 5 defensive thirdbasemen of all time. But a lot of better players have fizzled out at around similar points in their career's as he is in now.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I would say as of now, it's a "no". Just looking at the baseball-reference.com's HOF Monitor, not one his numbers is near HOF status. None of his career comparables is a HOF player and it's only with the comparables through age 33 that two show up, Tony Perez and Yogi Berra. While he was ROY and he's won seven Gold Gloves, he's never won any major batting award or finished close to doing so.

But as someone noted, he could finish up with HOF numbers, but it's not there yet.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Yes, Rolen's a Hall of Famer.

If you think otherwise, name a dozen third sackers who were greater than Rolen, accounting for both career value and peak value. You'll have a very difficult time trying to do it.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

If you think otherwise, name a dozen third sackers who were greater than Rolen, accounting for both career value and peak value. You'll have a very difficult time trying to do it.

He is in my book.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

No. If he has a couple of more really good years then he's in the consideration. But not until then,IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I don't think so. He doesn't even have 2,000 hits. Top 5 MVP voting.....once. Probably won't end up with more than 350 HR's and he played in the roid era. He's got a ways to go IMO.

Who is/was a better defensive 3b? Past and present. Throw in his good bat and you have a very very good player.

I don't have 12 but off the top of my head these players are every bit Rolens equal or greater.

Buddy Bell
    Craig Nettles
    Ken Boyer
    Bill Madlock
    Ron Santo
    Gary Gaetti
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That's a good list, George.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I don't have 12 but off the top of my head these players are every bit Rolens equal or greater.

Buddy Bell
    Craig Nettles
    Ken Boyer
    Bill Madlock
    Ron Santo
    Gary Gaetti
    Santo, yes.

The rest? Not even close.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Santo, yes.

The rest? Not even close.
    I think you're right and I like Rolen a lot. And the thing is about those others mentioned on that very good list, those all were very good ballplayers. Now a slacker in the whole bunch. But really only Santo, as you note, scratches at the HOF and the moribund vet committee doesn't agree - in fact, it seems they're not intent on letting anybody in.

Perhaps Rolen closes out his career spetacularly and makes the cut. Probably not, but it could happen.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Buddy Bell
    Craig Nettles
    Ken Boyer
    Bill Madlock
    Ron Santo
    Gary Gaetti
    What about Chipper Jones?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?