Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals cut Watson, Shirley moved to OL

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Bengals cut Watson, Shirley moved to OL

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...0-fd9d7eaff78c

Wonder if Brian Leonard can step up as the #2 RB?

Moving Shirley to OL reeks of desperation. Poor Carson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals cut Watson, Shirley moved to OL

You here of guys moving from the D line to the O line from time to time in college. Haven't heard of anyone trying it in the pros, but leave it to the Bengals. I would imagine they see some potential in him as well as size. 6ft 5 340lbs is pretty good size for a guard these days.

Not surprised to see Watson cut, Leonard has had a good camp. Keep an eye on Jerome Simpson I have a feeling the Bengals might cut him next in favor of Purity.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I think it's more needing some bodies for the O-line right now with three back up guards being injured.
    For Shirley it's a way to stay in camp.

Looks like best-case scenario for Shirley would be practice squad- no way he'd be ready to contribute as an O-lineman in a month.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

The Bengals epitomize cheapness. Saving money by moving players across the line. Well-played Mike Brown. Well-played.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sounds interesting. Shirley is so big it would be a shame not to at least try him at OL.

I seem to remember the Bengals cutting someone who went to the Browns and they successfully did this but maybe in reverse(OL to DL.)

Do any of the Brownie fans remember who this was? I want to say Dahl or Bahl or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    You here of guys moving from the D line to the O line from time to time in college. Haven't heard of anyone trying it in the pros, but leave it to the Bengals. I would imagine they see some potential in him as well as size. 6ft 5 340lbs is pretty good size for a guard these days.

Not surprised to see Watson cut, Leonard has had a good camp. Keep an eye on Jerome Simpson I have a feeling the Bengals might cut him next in favor of Purity.
    Jerome Simpson. LOL, beautiful draft decision there.

I would just like to chime in and say that Jerome Simpson made one of the most unbelieveable diving catches I've ever seen to help Coastal Carolina upset my alma mater, James Madison, in '05. Thus, I hate him like poison and he and the Bengals deserve each other (sorry, Bengals fans).

Carry on.

Signed,
    Not At All Bitter
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I would just like to chime in and say that Jerome Simpson made one of the most unbelieveable diving catches I've ever seen to help Coastal Carolina upset my alma mater, James Madison, in '05. Thus, I hate him like poison and he and the Bengals deserve each other (sorry, Bengals fans).

Carry on.

Signed,
    Not At All Bitter
    Not At All Bitter,

He was a horrible second round pick. He will be lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team.

That catch will probably be his shining moment in football.

Luv,
    ForFreelin

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Not At All Bitter,

He was a horrible second round pick. He will be lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team.

That catch will probably be his shining moment in football.

Luv,
    ForFreelin
    Agreed he wasn't a good 2nd round pick, but I don't know about "lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team." Personally, I think he's a solid 5th, behind Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell. And really, there's no shame being a 2nd-year receiver behind those 4.

As for Shirley, I don't really see this as desperation. He actually played some OL last year on the PS and looked pretty good doing it, at least that's what Thornton has to say:

He was going to have a hard time making the team as a DT this year. He helped out on OL during practice last year and looked GOOD. It may work
    When somebody is that freakishly large and mobile (his short shuttle times were on par with running backs), I think it makes sense you give him extra looks at different positions to keep him on the roster if he wouldn't make it otherwise. And besides, he's 3rd string LG. It's not like he's starting out there.
    Last edited by Screwball; 08-12-2009 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Agreed he wasn't a good 2nd round pick, but I don't know about "lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team." Personally, I think he's a solid 5th, behind Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell. And really, there's no shame being a 2nd-year receiver behind those 4.
    You forgot about Chatman. Carson has man love for him even though they rarely connect on the field. I know we have Coles, but I'm not a fan of real tiny receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    You forgot about Chatman.
    Didn't forget about him. I have him 6th, and the only way he's an asset on the team is as a PR, and an average one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I seem to remember the Bengals cutting someone who went to the Browns and they successfully did this but maybe in reverse(OL to DL.)

Do any of the Brownie fans remember who this was? I want to say Dahl or Bahl or something like that.
    Bob Dahl. Drafted in 1991 out of Notre Dame. He was originally a DT but couldn't quite cut it there, so he switched to Guard. He had a few pretty good years with Cleveland.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    As for Shirley, I don't really see this as desperation. He actually played some OL last year on the PS and looked pretty good doing it, at least that's what Thornton has to say:

When somebody is that freakishly large and mobile (his short shuttle times were on par with running backs), I think it makes sense you give him extra looks at different positions to keep him on the roster if he wouldn't make it otherwise. And besides, he's 3rd string LG. It's not like he's starting out there.
    Until he is.

Turn Off Ads?