Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Your 2009-2010 College Football Thread

Re: Your 2009-2010 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ohio State's game versus Iowa was just as important to the BCS Bowl Bid system as UC's game versus Pitt yesterday. Did Cincinnati really need two bye weeks? Same goes for the Pac-10.
    It's not about needing bye weeks. It's about generating more interest and excitement for the programs in your conference. And it sounds like they're going to move into the 90s with the rest of major college fb next year.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is there anything more unfair in sports than bowls selecting teams based not on records, but travel? I mean, there's a chance a team like Penn State, who has beaten absolutely no one, will get to a BCS game before Boise.

There's a team like Florida State who will get to play in the Gator Bowl on New Years Day being 6-6 because it's Bobby's last game and they travel better than a MIami team who is 9-3 AND beat thus mentioned FSU.

Weis takes shot at Carroll

Former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis reportedly took a shot at USC's Pete Carroll in an online interview published Saturday, and Carroll isn't happy about it.

Weis, fired at Notre Dame last week, was asked by IrishIllustrated.com, a site devoted to covering Notre Dame sports, if he is "frustrated" by how he's portrayed as opposed to Carroll.

According to the interview transcript from IrishIllustrated.com senior editor Tim Prister, Weis responded: "Let me ask you this question: You guys know about things that go on in different places. Was I living with a grad student in Malibu, or was I living with my wife in my house? You could bet that if I were living with a grad student here in South Bend, it would be national news. He's doing it in Malibu and it's not national news. What's the difference? I don't understand. Why is it OK for one guy to do things like that, but for me, I'm scrutinized when I swear. I'm sorry for swearing; absolve my sins."

Weis was referring to a 2006 "60 Minutes" profile which showed him swearing and caused a minor stir, but the root of his reference to Carroll's alleged living arrangement was unclear. Carroll is married with three children and a grandchild.

Carroll, contacted by the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night, said: "It's untrue, it's irresponsible and it's incredible he'd be talking about me like that," Carroll said of Weis.

Weis was speaking to five handpicked reporters in South Bend, Ind., at Hannah and Friends, the nonprofit organization founded by Weis and his wife Maura designed to help children and adults with special needs. Hannah is one of Weis' children.

Weis was fired after Notre Dame finished 6-6 this season. He was 35-27 in five seasons, winning just one bowl game during his tenure.

Carroll's USC team finished its regular season Saturday with a 21-17 loss to Arizona. The Trojans were 8-4.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Is there anything more unfair in sports than bowls selecting teams based not on records, but travel? I mean, there's a chance a team like Penn State, who has beaten absolutely no one, will get to a BCS game before Boise.

There's a team like Florida State who will get to play in the Gator Bowl on New Years Day being 6-6 because it's Bobby's last game and they travel better than a MIami team who is 9-3 AND beat thus mentioned FSU.
    The sooner you realize that 90% of these bowl games are exhibitions the better off you will be. Bowls are about making money not about putting the best match ups in play. The bowls can basically bring who they want to play in their games as long as they meet the criteria of 6 wins.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

You stay classy Charlie Weis.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The sooner you realize that 90% of these bowl games are exhibitions the better off you will be. Bowls are about making money not about putting the best match ups in play. The bowls can basically bring who they want to play in their games as long as they meet the criteria of 6 wins.

This.

These aren't playoff games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Weis attempted to clarify his remarks. He contacted The Times and said the comments came when he was having a "totally subjective" conversation with several reporters that was an aside to the formal interview. Weis said, he was speaking about Internet rumors and their adverse impact on the lives of coaches and their families.

"In no way was I trying to take a shot at Pete," Weis said in a phone message. "What we were talking about was how the rumor mill can affect people's lives. When I was asked a specific question like that, I responded like, 'This is the same crap that I'm talking about.' You start saying things like this and one thing, this guy does this and I do that and all of a sudden the Internet takes it all over the place.

"So, in no way was I trying to take a shot at Pete. I feel if I offended Pete, I will run Pete down and apologize. ... In no way do I have any idea what's going on in anyone's life other than the fact that rumors on the Internet can affect coaches' lives in a very, very negative fashion."

Later, in a telephone interview, Weis said, "In no way would I be disrespectful to that guy," and "All I know is that he kicked the crap out of me five times."

Carroll said Weis had contacted him to express his regrets.

"I talked to Charlie and he wants to set the record straight," Carroll said. "He apologized profusely for being represented wrongly. I'm not commenting anymore."

In the less-salacious parts of his interview, Weis talked about his plans to coach in the NFL next season and his fondness for Notre Dame and his hopes that the football program will succeed with the foundation he built.

Stupid thing for Weis to say, even if he was trying to draw the comparison of how rumors affect coaches as opposed to heaping judgement of Carroll. Very bush league, even if it's true. He should stay on the high road and collect the millions that will be coming his way from ND and the payday he's going to get in the NFL as a coordinator. These types of comments are going to sound like sour grapes of which he has no reason to have any. He was given plenty of opportunity to prove he deserved the job and contract he had. He wasn't able to do that, so he's got no one to be sour at.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I know exactly what it's all about. I just don't think it's fair and for a team. Jim Delaney is supposedly the guy in "charge" of the BCS and he thinks there doesn't need to be a playoff because "all the top bowl games are selling out" and fans are still showing up. It's just unfair to the teams who've actually proved their worth on the field and it rewards mediocre teams like Iowa/Penn State. Heck, Okie State would've received a bid had they beaten OK and they haven't beat one good team all year.

But then again, there are a lot of average/mediocre teams in the top 15 of CFB teams this year so it doesn't matter.

It's just unfair to the teams who've actually proved their worth on the field and it rewards mediocre teams like Iowa/Penn State.
    You're missing his point. From the very beginning, the primary purpose of bowl games were not to reward teams, but to promote local tourism and business. With the exception of the BCS championship game, it's still pretty much the same today.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    You're missing his point. From the very beginning, the primary purpose of bowl games were not to reward teams, but to promote local tourism and business. With the exception of the BCS championship game, it's still pretty much the same today.
    Yep. If a major bowl game makes a habit of selecting teams that don't travel well or draw TV ratings, before long it'll be a minor bowl game. It's an unfortunate reality, but reality nonetheless.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Brutal matchups for the Big 10.

Champs Sports
    Miami vs. Wisconsin

Insight
    Minnesota vs. Iowa State

Outback
    Northwestern vs. Auburn

Capital One
    Penn State vs. LSU

Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi
    Ohio State vs. Oregon

Valero Alamo
    Michigan State vs. Texas Tech

FedEx Orange
    Iowa vs. Georgia Tech

Brutal matchups for the Big 10.

Champs Sports
    Miami vs. Wisconsin

Insight
    Minnesota vs. Iowa State

Outback
    Northwestern vs. Auburn

Capital One
    Penn State vs. LSU

Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi
    Ohio State vs. Oregon

Valero Alamo
    Michigan State vs. Texas Tech

FedEx Orange
    Iowa vs. Georgia Tech
    Really? I think they can matchup just fine in all of them except for the MSU game...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Really? I think they can matchup just fine in all of them except for the MSU game...
    Miami v Wisconsin; Warm-weather game in Florida. Even though Orlando is like 5 hours away from Miami or whatever, Whisky will bring more fans. But that's the norm for Miami. Wisconsin won't be able to stop Miami on offense. Wisconsin will get some points. . .I'd say around 20 or so, but Miami will score more. Not to mention, Miami has been playing well in spite of a lot of injuries and has a month to heal up.

Minny vs Iowa State: This game is brutal from a CFB fan stand point. The bowls are great for CFB, but this is a prime example for why there are too many.

Northwestern v Auburn: Gus Malzahn with a month to prepare? I'll take my chances with Auburn and this has nothing to do with an SEC v Big 10 argument.

Penn State v LSU: Penn State is overrated, just like every year. LSU's defense/ ST will win this game.

Ohio State vs Oregon: As much as I hate the Buckeyes, I'm excited to see this game. I'm torn on this game. Oregon has the propensity to choke in big game environments not named the Civil War.

Michigan State vs TTU: TT vs MSU's secondary will be like watching The 2007 Patriots vs the 2002 Bengals.

Iowa vs GT: Just a bad matchup for Iowa. Paul Johnson is one of the best coaches in CFB IMO going up against one of the most overrated in Kirk Ferentz. I just can't see Iowa's offense doing much damage even against an average GT defense. After last year's bowl debacle, I think Johnson will prove his worth this year.

Overall, I don't see one game where they'll be favored by oddsmakers. I think they'll win a few, but I just think they're bad matchups for them. I think the most difficult matchup is Miami vs Wisconsin. The closest is PSU/LSU just because it'll be a low scoring game. OSU/OU is the game to watch though.
    Last edited by DTCromer; 12-07-2009 at 08:22 AM.

The Big 11 has the opposite problem as the Big East, especially when they get an at-large BCS bid. They've got great bowl tie-ins but only end up winning 1 or 2 games because of it and get criticized for not winning bowl games.

The Big East has weak bowl tie-ins, wins most of the games each year and it doesn't matter because, "look who they played."
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?