Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 2009-2010 College Football Thread

Re: Your 2009-2010 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    If you're going to run your mouth on the field after the game like that, then you better be ready for the consequences. You can't complain about getting punched after getting in a guy's face and taunting him after you've already won the game.

I mean, the BSU player came up to him, hit him on the shoulder, starts talking crap, and ESPN makes it look like the Oregon player is the only one in the wrong. bullcrap, that BSU player deserved to get punched and that Oregon player deserves a suspension.
    Agreed. I feel kind of bad for the Oregon player, if I'm going to be completely honest. That guy deserved to get punched right in the face. If this would have taken place 50 years ago, nothing comes of it. In this day and age, with cameras all over the place and 24/7 news coverage, you would think he brought a gun onto the field and shot someone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Agreed. I feel kind of bad for the Oregon player, if I'm going to be completely honest. That guy deserved to get punched right in the face. If this would have taken place 50 years ago, nothing comes of it. In this day and age, with cameras all over the place and 24/7 news coverage, you would think he brought a gun onto the field and shot someone.
    If this would have taken place 50 years ago the players would not have been trash talking in the first place.

Just because it may have happened 50 years ago without fanfare doesn't make a punch to the face excusable. African-Americans couldn't eat in the same restaurants as whites 50 years ago either but that doesn't mean it was right. The player from Boise State was completely out of line but that doesn't give the Oregon player the right to hit him in the jaw and then act like a buffoon.

The kid from Oregon should be more concerned that his team looked like crap and he carried the ball eight times for -5 yards...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Agreed. I feel kind of bad for the Oregon player
    The Oregon player who spent the weeks leading up to the game telling the media that Oregon owed Boise State an ass-kicking (and then delivered -8 yards rushing)? The Oregon player who proceeded to fight with a teammate in the middle of the field after punching the Boise player? The Oregon player who then had to be restrained by four people from going into the stands after Boise State fans? The Oregon player who also allegedly hit a security guard and an assistant coach as part of his meltdown? The same Oregon player who had been suspended from practice during fall camp for attitude issues?

Strange place to direct sympathies if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If this would have taken place 50 years ago the players would not have been trash talking in the first place.
    Not big on college football history, are you? It was probably much, much worse than simple trash talk 50 years ago.

I don't feel bad for him. He deserves every consequence that happens from this. He should've been the bigger man and walked away after talking smack. But if you're Joe Blow from BSU and you stick your nose up and start talking smack to his face after the game, when emotions are running high, then you better be ready to back it up.

I'm not saying what Blount did wasn't wrong. I'm just saying that Joe Blow wasn't right either.

Yep.

Best advice my dad ever gave me was don't start it if you're not willing to finish it.

Blount's season should be over.

And if I was on the BSU coaching staff, I'd tell Hout that when he's done picking his teeth up off the blue turf, he'd better find himself a very good pair of running shoes and a very reliable alarm clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The Oregon player who spent the weeks leading up to the game telling the media that Oregon owed Boise State an ass-kicking (and then delivered -8 yards rushing)? The Oregon player who proceeded to fight with a teammate in the middle of the field after punching the Boise player? The Oregon player who then had to be restrained by four people from going into the stands after Boise State fans? The Oregon player who also allegedly hit a security guard and an assistant coach as part of his meltdown? The same Oregon player who had been suspended from practice during fall camp for attitude issues?

Strange place to direct sympathies if you ask me.
    Hout shouldn't have taunted Blount, but no way are Blount's actions justified. Blount deserves a vacation from football for a few weeks IMO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Blount should be gone. My alma mater Miami University had this happen after a game a few years back, but one of our coaches drilled an idiot fan talking trash to him on the field. I was never more embarassed for Miami than I was then. He was justifiably fired. Why are people always unable to just walk away when taunted?
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Blount should be gone. My alma mater Miami University had this happen after a game a few years back, but one of our coaches drilled an idiot fan talking trash to him on the field. I was never more embarassed for Miami than I was then. He was justifiably fired. Why are people always unable to just walk away when taunted?
    Don't forget that your coaches also destroyed our press box.

guttle11: I know they would fight, talk garbage, etc. But it was of a very different tone than now. Now it is hit and run, no one stands up and acts like a man.

I had a Woody Hayes flashback myself. Although that wasn't 50 years ago.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I don't feel bad for him. He deserves every consequence that happens from this. He should've been the bigger man and walked away after talking smack. But if you're Joe Blow from BSU and you stick your nose up and start talking smack to his face after the game, when emotions are running high, then you better be ready to back it up.

I'm not saying what Blount did wasn't wrong. I'm just saying that Joe Blow wasn't right either.
    After being shown the clip about 5 times on SportsCenter I have come to this conclusion.

Last year BSU had a pretty bad cheap shot on Oregon's QB. Tensions were high all week long, BSU knowing that a BCS berth was on the line, and Oregon knowing that a championship season was on the line. There was talk going back and forth about the game ever since college football came to the fore front. Most major sporting sites pimped the game as one of the games of the year.

Fast forward to the end of the game. Blount after a disappointing game is tapped on the shoulder and taunted as he walks off the field. I am sure that emotions and tensions are high at that point. It is just too difficult to turn that intensity off right after a game ends. IMO Blount punching that BSU guy shouldn't have happened, but I have little problem with it. The BSU player deserved it, especially after he taunted the player after a close loss.

What happened afterward is where I blame Blount. Him going after the fans and whoever else was in the area was wrong, and he should be punished for that. IMO whatever suspension Blount gets, Hout should get almost the same amount of time. While he didn't throw the punch, he instigated the entire fracas.

Boise State going undefeated from this point on doesn't NECESSARILY mean they should be awarded a BCS bowl bid.

They don't have a game remaining versus anyone in the top 45.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Boise State going undefeated from this point on doesn't NECESSARILY mean they should be awarded a BCS bowl bid.

They don't have a game remaining versus anyone in the top 45.
    You mean the preseason top 45, which means absolutely nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Alright, RZers, I really, really want to get into college football this year. I have always held out due to the ridiculous post-season. (I'm in favor of a tournament playoff.) But, I've decided that I am being too productive on Saturdays, and feel that college football can go a long way to solving that problem.

So, now the question becomes which college to root for. There are a few options I am considering, but definitely can be swayed.

Right now I am leaning toward Cincinnati, being the local team and all. I like what BK has done for the program, but I wonder if U.C. can ever really compete with the big boys.

There is also Ohio State. Somewhat local, good program, big reputation despite having trouble winning the big games lately.

Or do I pick another school? Go SEC? Look for an underdog to root for? A storied tradition? Help!
    Did you attend a university?

Turn Off Ads?