Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brooks and Dunn Split up

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Brooks and Dunn Split up

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    While I really liked two or three of their songs, they really annoyed me when they released songs like this steaming pile of worn-out cliches
    There was a phase where they definitely lost their edge. I remember a story one of them told where (paraphrasing) well-meaning fans were coming up and telling them, "Wow! You guys used to kick ---!" They didn't care much for the past tense.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

I liked "She Gets Crazy on a Full Moon."

It's like a lost and found in a border town,
    lookin' for a diamond ring.
    They just look at you like you've lost your mind and say
    They haven't seen a thing....

Not a lot else, though.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

This saddens me.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

They were a great act. I saw them last summer at Riverbend right after the Reds-Red Sox game at GABP (EdE hit the game-tying home run off Papelbon in the 9th, but then Lincoln blew the game).

Sad to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I abandoned the country scene about ten years ago, when it became clear that Nashville's version of "country" had become VH1 boy groups and male and female pop singers. So I'm probably not that familiar with their recent stuff. While I really liked two or three of their songs, they really annoyed me when they released songs like this steaming pile of worn-out cliches:

Every line in that song has been written hundreds of times before, mostly by kids in garage bands trying their hand at songwriting for the first time. But, to B&D's credit, they took it and made a huge hit out of it.
    Hey Taylor Swift can't even sing so color me double at this generation of country "stars"...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

High five!

It's funny because I find that Nashville has about the best musicians I've every encountered. Yet most of the country I hear in the radio sounds like '80s rock and the guy singers go below middle C.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It's funny because I find that Nashville has about the best musicians I've every encountered. Yet most of the country I hear in the radio sounds like '80s rock and the guy singers go below middle C.
    Nah...I still enjoy some 80s rock.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Unfortunately, the people who decide what gets on the radio aren't the ones who are writing and playing the music. But yeah, there are too many Pro Tools products on country radio for my taste. My favorites are Brad Paisley and Alan Jackson; they have a really good ear for good songs, they can write their own when the situation calls for it, and their records just sound a little different (i.e. not over-produced). And then there's Trace Adkins, just because I have a deep voice and he's who I'd like to sing like if I could sing a lick.

Taylor Swift is an odd case. I don't care for her music -- if I was a girl, and half my age, maybe I would -- but I give her respect for taking songwriting seriously and for sticking to who she is, instead of the sixteen-going-on-thirty we usually get from the princesses. Her singing? Well... I've heard her. She can sing, and she brings a lot of energy to the stage. She can't yet do both at the same time.

Of the current crop of girls, I like Miranda Lambert the best.

Having been in Nashville for several years... I wasn't a country fan before we moved here, and I picked up quite a bit through osmosis and curiosity, but now it's just one more category in my all-over-the-ballpark listening habits.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Unfortunately, the people who decide what gets on the radio aren't the ones who are writing and playing the music. But yeah, there are too many Pro Tools products on country radio for my taste. My favorites are Brad Paisley and Alan Jackson; they have a really good ear for good songs, they can write their own when the situation calls for it, and their records just sound a little different (i.e. not over-produced). And then there's Trace Adkins, just because I have a deep voice and he's who I'd like to sing like if I could sing a lick.

Taylor Swift is an odd case. I don't care for her music -- if I was a girl, and half my age, maybe I would -- but I give her respect for taking songwriting seriously and for sticking to who she is, instead of the sixteen-going-on-thirty we usually get from the princesses. Her singing? Well... I've heard her. She can sing, and she brings a lot of energy to the stage. She can't yet do both at the same time.

Having been in Nashville for several years... I wasn't a country fan before we moved here, and I picked up quite a bit through osmosis and curiosity, but now it's just one more category in my all-over-the-ballpark listening habits.
    Is it hyperbole to say Brad Paisley can play his guitar?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Hey Taylor Swift can't even sing so color me double at this generation of country "stars"...
    I thought I was the only one who noticed? She's terrible.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Is it hyperbole to say Brad Paisley can play his guitar?
    He gets by!

You have to split up so you can later cash in on the reunion tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    You have to split up so you can later cash in on the reunion tour.
    The tickets double or triple in price on the reunion tour, or even if the band stays together but the members just get old. I'm not sure why that is.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

I totally agree about Paisley and Jackson. They could each make a living solely as song writers if they had to, and they have imagination, especially Paisley. As JoJo noted, Paisley is an amazing guitarist, and he also puts on a terrific stage show (I've never seen Jackson "live").
    I'm not all that crazy about Taylor Swift either, but she does deserve credit for trying to write her own stuff. Too many of the current crop of Nashville young stars seem to be interchangable singers trying to get by on their looks.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?