Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Where Can I Find A Free DVD Player For Computer?

Where Can I Find A Free DVD Player For Computer?

My son likes to watch DVD movies on his computer. He currently has Windows XP with the Windows Media Player 11.

I was thinking about putting my Media Center Edition of XP on his computer, but would like to avoid that trouble, so does anyone know where there is a free DVD player on line that will allow him to play/watch DVD movies that we buy and also make?

We tried AVS, but it says it can't play the particular format, and I'm assuming it's referring to the one's we make (DVD +R DVD -R).

I've read that Windows Media Player can be made to watch DVDs but you have to purchase an additional "codec" to allow it to do so.

Thanks!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Where Can I Find A Free DVD Player For Computer?

Thanks gentlemen!

I downloaded the VLC player nate and it will play "store bought" DVds fine; but not DVDs that I have burned.

I downloaded your codec software RBA.... now how do I use it?

Does it work in conjunction somehow with my existing players and make them capable of playing any DVD?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Thanks gentlemen!

I downloaded the VLC player nate and it will play "store bought" DVds fine; but not DVDs that I have burned.

I downloaded your codec software RBA.... now how do I use it?

Does it work in conjunction somehow with my existing players and make them capable of playing any DVD?

Yes, it works with existing players. Make sure you uncheck the yahoo toolbar install, if you install the codes. Unless you want the Yahoo toolbar software.

Also this http://download.cnet.com/GOM-Media-P...?tag=mncol;pop

is the highest rated free player on cnet.

Hey guys! I got it to work.

My son just informed me.... and I wish he would have told me sooner.... that the one DVD I was trying, and which I had burned, was defective.

I gave him a dirty stare, tried some others, and they all work fine.

I might have to kick him.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Also this http://download.cnet.com/GOM-Media-P...?tag=mncol;pop

is the highest rated free player on cnet.
    It is. And that is the one we're using.

Thanks again Rob.

Turn Off Ads?